Am I balding?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi, I was getting a haircut and the stylist told me that I need to buy Nioxin (she was rather insistent). This confused me as I've always been told I have very thick hair and I'm pretty sure I still do. She isn't somebody who has ever cut my hair before so I she has nothing to compare it to. Please can you see the videos attached and let me know what you think? I've had a hair whorl since I was little so don't be alarmed. Here's one video and I'll upload the second in a bit..Thanks

second:

I don't see any balding at this time.

Was the statement made after the stylist saw your hair wet?

Did she state she thought your hair was thinning?

I think Nioxin is used by people not balding isn't it?

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I absolutely say no. Like you said, you appear to have extremely thick, dense hair, and I don't personally see any signs of androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness) in the crown region. I didn't get a good look at your anterior or temporal hairline, but the crown appears solid.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I think no, but would need to see the hairline or your hair wet.

Maybe she was having a bad day and was trying to take it out on you, or she was very desperate to get some commission to sell the shampoo.

If you're not balding just forget about it.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Here's the hairline! Before you guys immediately say recession I've had this hairline for 4 years (and possible before no photos nearby lol)

Interestingly enough,my dad who has a full head of hair has a widows peak just like this. Thanks for all your hep!

image.jpg.06b019001b44fba517a5dc8f1614f149.jpg

I sincerely hope the transplant doctor laughs at you and promptly sends you packing. You have perfect hair!! The hair stylist was probably just trying to sell you something. I would prostitute myself for your head of hair, lol.

Here's the hairline! Before you guys immediately say recession I've had this hairline for 4 years (and possible before no photos nearby lol)

Interestingly enough,my dad who has a full head of hair has a widows peak just like this. Thanks for all your hep!

No one in their right mind will say recession. What's visible in your video and hairline are great. Don't go back to that stylist again.

Just got back from an appointment under a video microscope.guys been in the business for 16 years. Here's what he said

"Hairline and crown...10% thinning

"Back and sides 10% Thinning

Middle scalp 10-15% thinning

He said 10% is normal for anybody with a full head if hair. Also Said my case its polar opposite if MBP. Also said not diffuse because it would be 10-15 all over. I asked him if he were gravitating towards early onset MBP or stress and he said stress(I did just get done with my semester with four science courses.) any thoughts?

Edited by notbalding83

I'm sorry by thinning I meant miniaturization. He said that at any given time, 10% of hair should look the way everything but the middle portion of your scalp does. Crown and hairline are same as back. He said that there isn't actually any hair loss anywhere,just slightly more miniaturization in that middle portion.

I say just don't worry about it and move on. You don't need a microscope to tell that you are not losing your hair.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

In normal scalp not affected by androgenic alopecia, roughly 10% of all follicles are in the telogen or "resting" phase of follicular cycling. This results in thinner, shorter, "miniaturized" hairs. This means 10% miniaturization is perfectly normal. I think it is difficult to say that it is related to stress, but not unreasonable to simply state that 10% miniaturization is physiologically normal.

Either way, the translation is the same: for now, you are okay. If it is really concerning, I would try to monitor your hair and see a physician about it on a semi-regular basis.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Your loss pattern could "possibly" be on the Ludwig scale. The reason I say this is because I have that loss pattern, albeit much more advanced than you. It sounds like you may have FPB, female pattern baldness. If you look at my profile pic, you will see that every graft I received in my HT was planted in my midscalp.

4 months ago I had my first ht, at the age of 30. When I was around 25, I recall my barber telling me I was going thin on top, and reacted the same as you 'wft?'. I visitted 4 top docs for consultation and they confirmed I had Ludwig pattern loss, not the typical Norwood pattern.

Each doc said it was rare enough, but they had seen it and treated some men with it before. The HT that I had did not touch my hairline or crown.....it was all midscalp/forelock. I basically have the same hairline I've had for years, I just had everything behind it filled in with 2,200 FUE grafts. If you look at my thread it will explain better!

Anyway......I just thought I'd make you aware of the Ludwig pattern, so you can look into it a bit more. No harm in doing research. You do appear to have a great head of hair mind.....but no harm in looking into what pattern you may eventually fall into in years to come.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

He showed me this and said he didn't think I had it. I showed him a picture of my dad, who has the exact same hairline as me (distinct widows peak) , and my dad has kept his hairline but has thinning in the middle and crown. He said I'll likely end up like this. Btw Is this what you're referring to? Doc said no

Ludwig scale