Liposomol ATP

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have heard of some doctors using this during aftercare. Basically the idea with liposome encapsulated ATP is to deliver as much adenosine triphosphate (ATP) to the cells as possible to speed up wound healing. ATP synthesis is often the rate limiting step during wound healing so the thought is that if you can supply ATP as an energy source you can speed up healing. It's encapsulated in a liposomal preparation because ATP itself is not effectively delivered to cells and is subject to degradation.

With that being said I don't see the need for it. The areas that this is most effective is in chronic wounds like diabetic foot ulcers or pressure ulcers, hair transplants heal fairly quickly so it would most likely be unnecessary.

• 3 weeks later...

All wounds (including transplanted hair) are ischemic (decreased blood flow), and when you make a lot of wounds, such as in HRS (i.e., 2000 wounds in the scalp), the tissue looses ATP from the lack of oxygen. Thus, the need for ATP during hair restoration procedures is a very important consideration that makes the difference between a poor outcome and a good outcome. Why is ATP important in HRS? Simple, when the physician removes your hair follicles from your scalp they are immediately cut-off from the blood that was delivering oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicle cells. During this ischemic period, the hair follicle cells begin to lose intracellular ATP, which if left uncorrected, results in death of the hair follicle cells. In many procedures, the ischemic time can exceed 4 hrs from removal to implantation, which results in significant loss of viable hair follicle cells. The end result of this outcome are either non-viable hair follicles or "shocked" follicles that may take months to a year to regrow a hair shaft.

However, that is not the end of the story. When you go home from the transplant procedure, the implanted follicles are still without a source of blood flow and remain ischemic until angiogenesis (formation of blood vessels) is complete, which can be from 3-5 days. This period of ischemia also results in loss of viable hair follicle cells and invariably death of some implanted follicles.

Cutting edge hair restoration surgeons are beginning to understand this as evidenced by the increasing adoption of graft holding solutions and post-operative treatment regimens that address ATP loss.

All wounds (including transplanted hair) are ischemic (decreased blood flow), and when you make a lot of wounds, such as in HRS (i.e., 2000 wounds in the scalp), the tissue looses ATP from the lack of oxygen. Thus, the need for ATP during hair restoration procedures is a very important consideration that makes the difference between a poor outcome and a good outcome. Why is ATP important in HRS? Simple, when the physician removes your hair follicles from your scalp they are immediately cut-off from the blood that was delivering oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicle cells. During this ischemic period, the hair follicle cells begin to lose intracellular ATP, which if left uncorrected, results in death of the hair follicle cells. In many procedures, the ischemic time can exceed 4 hrs from removal to implantation, which results in significant loss of viable hair follicle cells. The end result of this outcome are either non-viable hair follicles or "shocked" follicles that may take months to a year to regrow a hair shaft.

However, that is not the end of the story. When you go home from the transplant procedure, the implanted follicles are still without a source of blood flow and remain ischemic until angiogenesis (formation of blood vessels) is complete, which can be from 3-5 days. This period of ischemia also results in loss of viable hair follicle cells and invariably death of some implanted follicles.

Cutting edge hair restoration surgeons are beginning to understand this as evidenced by the increasing adoption of graft holding solutions and post-operative treatment regimens that address ATP loss.

Are you a representative for a company that manufactures an ATP solution?

Thus, the need for ATP during hair restoration procedures is a very important consideration that makes the difference between a poor outcome and a good outcome.

Are you speaking of during the procedure or after? I'm not familiar with ATP, but do all or most surgeons use it during the the ischemic period when follicles are being transferred from the donor area to the recipient area? If you are talking after, then the above statement would be untrue because there literally have been thousands of good outcomes without the use of ATP after the procedure, at least from what I know as I haven't heard of it until now.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

I found this:

BOTHELL, WA—October 17, 2012—BioLife Solutions Inc. (OTC BB: BLFS), a leading developer, manufacturer, and marketer of proprietary clinical grade hypothermic storage and cryopreservation freeze media for cells and tissues, and contract aseptic media manufacturer, today announced that it will begin marketing and distributing a novel hair graft storage solution additive that has demonstrated it can improve the survival of hair grafts during hair transplantation procedures. BioLife Solutions will introduce the compound, branded as Cellenergy™, to the broad hair restoration industry at the 20th Annual Meeting of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, October 17th – 20th, in Nassau, The Bahamas.

Cellenergy was invented at the University of Louisville and licensed to Energy Delivery Solutions, LLC, a company founded by William Ehringer, Ph.D., co-inventor of the underlying intellectual property. Energy Delivery Solutions will manufacture the product under Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) for BioLife, which will exclusively market and distribute Cellenergy to hair restoration physicians throughout the world.

Mike Rice, BioLife Solutions Chief Executive Officer, noted that HypoThermosol®, BioLife’s optimized storage and shipping media, has already been adopted by more than 30 leading surgical hair restoration groups and individual physicians as an improved graft storage medium.

The combination of HypoThermosol and Cellenergy as an improved graft storage solution was first conceived of, and tested by, internationally recognized hair surgeon Dr. Jerry Cooley, founder of Carolina Dermatology Hair Center. He then formulated Cellenergy as a post-operative scalp spray, which led to further improvements in the results he observed. Dr. Cooley stated, “I believe that the use of HypoThermosol and Cellenergy is the best way to optimize graft survival, and that these two products will become a new standard of care in hair restoration surgery.”

Rice continued, “We are very pleased to be able to offer Cellenergy to the worldwide hair restoration community and believe this represents a significant market opportunity for BioLife. We are encouraged by the positive feedback we have received from leading clinicians on the noticeable improvement in transplants when grafts were treated with HypoThermosol and Cellenergy. We’re also very pleased to announce that Dr. Cooley has joined BioLife’s Scientific Advisory Board.”

The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) estimates that 279,381 surgical hair restoration procedures were performed worldwide in 2010.

About Cellenergy™

Cellenergy is a sterile, lyophilized (powder) form of a novel formulation of liposomal adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the primary cellular energy source naturally occurring in the human body. The product is simply reconstituted with sterile, ion-free water, and mixed before use.

The need for cells to have ATP during the graft holding period and after the implantation is important. You are right, there are many cases where ATP was not used and the outcome was good. Why, well for one thing hair follicles contain a plethora of stem cells that can regenerate a hair follicle, and these cells are fairly resilient to prolonged ischemia. So, even using saline as a graft holding solution and no post-operative treatments many hair follicles will begin to grow hair shafts.

Another important consideration is that scalp blood flow varies with age, diet, and a myriad of other factors, which can lead to different outcomes. So, if you are looking at a $15,000 operation and you want an insurance policy against non-viable follicles or shocked follicles consider the use of the ATP as a means to combat this problem.

So beyond the technical stuff what does it actually do? Will it prevent the transplanted hairs from falling out? Make them regrow faster? Simply prevent less from dying? Allow the surgeon to have them out of the scalp longer?

The simple answer to your questions is YES to all. We are seeing less shock hair loss, increased hair density, and increased healing around the transplanted hairs.

While we are still trying to understand the mechanism(s) that are responsible for these results, our in vivo and in vitro studies point to maintenance of intracellular ATP levels.

Interesting. I think my bottle said to keep refrigerated and spray every hour for the first 24 or 48 hours after surgery (I forget). I just kept spraying every hour until it was gone which was about another day past that timeline. Does it go bad with time and was it harmful to go past the time on the bottle?

The simple answer to your questions is YES to all. We are seeing less shock hair loss, increased hair density, and increased healing around the transplanted hairs.

While we are still trying to understand the mechanism(s) that are responsible for these results, our in vivo and in vitro studies point to maintenance of intracellular ATP levels.

It all sounds good. Are there any clinical studies to support these claims?

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

While cold saline solutions are still the prevalent means of temporarily holding grafts until placement, it is reassuring to read about some of the research and progress being made in this industry.

I have been concerned for years about the degenerative effects of ischemia reprofusion of the grafts, and depending on the skill level and also proper tech staffing in the OR, the goal should be to get the grafts placed into the recipient zone as soon as possible after they are removed from their original environment.

I think more docs are now utilizing PRP injections to facilitate healing and yields along with ACELL being refined for better delivery and absorption in the scalp tissue.

Yet to date little research has been done addressing the vital intracellular components and ATP levels as they relate to healing and hair regeneration (overall yield) as ATP4Hair has mentioned.

I too would like to read the initial as well as the ongoing clinical studies that support these findings, especially the differentials in yield. I think we will hear more about it after the ISHRS conference, with more doctors/clinics recommending it in their post-op care regimen.

ATP4Hair, how much does the post-op spray cost for the 72 hour application period after the procedure? And will it be available online or through their doctor/clinic?

Good info! ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

ATP you mentioned that 41 clinic or doctors use it. Can you name some of them? Any of them recommended or part of the coalition?

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

One thing I noticed and maybe it's just a coincidence is that my second procedure when I used this spray I didn't have the little white things falling off my head after 7-10 days. The dandruff looking stuff. Why would that be?

I am the inventor of the technology, and the current supplier to 41 hair restoration clinics throughout the world.

Can you provide me with any info on the delivery methods used to introduce the ATP into the cells? I understand this is your business and some info my be sensitive, but I'm curious. A patent number or any journal publications that you can provide would be outstanding.

In 2002, I was studying hypothermic heart preservation and methods to increase organ holding times by increasing intracellular ATP. I then developed a fusogenic lipid vesicle delivery system that could deliver ATP to cells at rates sufficient to keep the cells alive during periods of prolonged ischemia or hypoxia. We conducted cell, tissue, organ and whole organism studies on how ATP delivery may be used in a variety of pathophysiological conditions (4 NIH funded proposals). The solution we coined VitaSol (now called ATPv) delivers ATP and we showed significant improvements in a variety of pre-clinical studies. It is now the subject of study in wound healing, hemorrhagic shock, and of course hair transplantation.

The ATP delivery system (US Pat# 7,056,529) was initially studied by Dr. Jerry Cooley. He began experimenting with ATPv in 2005 and began reporting results on the HRS outcomes soon thereafter at the annual ISHRS meetings. You can search the meeting abstracts for results. Dr. Michael Beehner then studied the use of ATPv in a prolonged hair graft storage session that was reported in the Hair Transplant Forum. I presented my research in the 2010 ISHRS meeting in Anchorage as the invited Norwood Lecture. Since then, I have been involved with various symposiums organized by members of the ISHRS.

I am not at liberty to disclose the 41 ATPv users, but here is a brief list of users who have agreed to disclosure:

Dr. Jerry Cooley

Dr. John Cole

Dr. Robert True

Dr. William Parsley

Dr. Jennifer Martinick

Dr. Carlos Puig

I trust the foregoing information will answer some questions.

ATP4Hair,

Obviously from you previous posts, you are a licensed physician? What is your area of specialization and do you perform HT procedures as well?

Not surprised that several of the docs listed are involved with the use and research.

Surprised to see that Dr. Puig is still practicing.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I'm a month in now and used this stuff and still feel most of the transplanted hairs when I pat my head. I think most of them were gone by this time last time.

ATP,

Still waiting for a reply from you...:rolleyes:

Gillenator