(NEW~17MonthUpdate)Robert's hair transplant performed on 6/18/2004

Robert_

Thanks a lot for the kind words, fellas. Whos to say that miracles don't exist? I cannot thank Dr. Cooley, Ailene, Brandy, and the rest of his staff enough.

Hair Apparent - Wow, I haven't heard that word in a few years! haha

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great Robert. Just wondering, how many grafts did you get, and how far back were they placed? I'm thinking of getting a transplant pretty soon here and am just wondering if 2000 grafts would be good enough to get the results you have gotten. I can still remember reading your essay back in June when you won. I can't believe it has already been six months, the results are amazing, I am very happy for you and appreciate all the feedback you have given to every contributing member of this forum. I don't post a lot here, but I have come in everyday in the past two years to see what's new. Now I am ready to make a decision about getting a transplant. Congrats and thank you.

Stillhere,

Thanks for the kind words, bud.

I had 2,300 grafts placed at the hairline and forelock so your 2,000 grafts estimate isn't far off at all (depending on your own situation, of course).

And yeah, I can't believe that its been 6 months, either! Time has really flown by since the procedure. I guess that it is true what they say: time flies when you're having fun!

I wish you the best of luck in your decision and let me know if I can help out in any way.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Robert,

Time to ditch the baseball cap mate, nice one.

qvarnis

Haha, thanks Q. The funny thing is, I still instinctively reach for my cap when I am leaving the house sometimes. Old habits die hard, after all.

I do still wear it every once in a while. Maybe once a week or so. It's kind of nice, actually. At the risk of sounding hokey its kind of like hanging out with a tried and true old friend - after all, my baseball caps were there for me when I needed them for so many years. It'd just be rude to toss 'em, right? icon_wink.gif

-Robert

I have to comment...

I always wore a ski cap (beenie) or a baseball cap (even up to a couple months ago). This time of year (Winter), when it is appropriate and makes sense to wear it I generally don't. I'm at the 4 month mark of surgery number 4 and hope that in 3 months from now, when I have achieved about 70 percent growth, I will give the hats away.

It feels so good to see other people wearing a cap (presumably because it is either fashionable or cold) and not have one on myself. That's one example of what they mean by "new confidence". icon_cool.gif

Hi all!

Robert...looking absolutely awesome with that new head of hair. You should be proud. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress as well.

A comment about the caps. As of right now, I'm still in megacap mode wearing a cap everywhere I go. Once I have enough hair and density where I feel better about myself, I will feel much more confident and not wear my hat nearly as much. I say nearly as much because even in high school, when I had a full thick head of hair, I never went anywhere without it. This was mostly because I wanted to flatten my hair with the hat and take it off when my hair looked not so fro like, etc. A hat has been a big part of me even before I was going very thin, so even if I had a full head of hair, I'd wear it from time to time. BUT...I will proudly take it off and actually be happy if people are staring, because then I'd know they'd be staring at a good thick healthy head of hair!

Bill

holy moly - looks really great robert. major change. and more to come still, if the "month x's 10%" theory is true. It seems to be true for me as I still have some new pops. I find myself not interested at all in wearing a cap anymore. I put one on to go out and watch the Alamo Bowl with some friends at a bar, and I had to snatch it off my head after the 1st hour. In the old days I wouldn't dare take that thing off til I was safely home.

Thanks Hugh.

Yeah, another great thing that I have found out about my ballcaps - they look GREAT on a girl at the beach - icon_biggrin.gif

It has been consistently around 70 degrees here in Charleston and since I now live about 5 minutes from the beach I have taken the opportunity to go down there a good bit.

So yeah, along with my t-shirts, boxers, and button-up shirts, I can now add my baseball caps to the things that get "stolen" from me by women.

-Robert

Robert,

Just saw your six month pics. WOW! Incredible! I know you have mentioned that using MSM has helped to put the medal to the pedal regarding growth and it obviously has helped quite a bit. With 2300 grafts and at six months, just wait until you hit that one year mark.

If the girls are after your ball cap now, just wait till everything fully matures! They'll be chasing more than that! How about a six month pic view from the front looking straight on. My bet is that you look younger. Happy growth!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Gil.

I'll be putting up some new photos next week since it has been a while. I'll put one up from the front, too.

The other day I woke up and was in a hurry so I threw on my ballcap and ran out the door to get to class since I had some serious bedhead. After class, I went and met some friends in the library. One young lady reached over and took off my ballcap and put it on. Just one year ago I probably would have freaked out and snatched it back but not this day. I just sat there in all my bedhead glory and smiled.

-Robert

Robert

WOW!!!! The growth at 6 months is really outstanding. It appears you had a megasession with the growth your are having, much more appearance than the grafts you actually had!!!

Dr. Cooley really stands out here with the results!!! You must be totally pumped!! You hand out insight everyday to other users it is nice to be able to provide you some feedback on your own personal experience!!!

Keep watching the grow.

TMAN

Thanks for the kind comments, guys.

Actually, I am at about the 8 month mark now. There has been some more thickening along the hairline and I am severely overdue for an update so I will post some more pics sometimes this week.

-Robert

Robert,

Have to agree with the other comments, super job! You must love lookin' in the mirror. It's a whole lot better than seeing it go the other way, isn't it!?

• 8 months later...

Looking very good Robert. I don't think it's the resolution of your camera that is the problem. I think it is that it is slightly out of focus. I take my pictures with a 2meg camera and they are very clear. I think just getting someone else to take the pictures with the same camera could help. That way the person can make sure the camera is "focusing" on your head and not some background object. Remember, digital cameras take a moment to focus and adjust to the object in front of them. You can also try pressing the shutter button half way down for a few seconds to let it adjust to you head and then all the way to take the picture.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Yes it's also good to see a patient who (like myself) wears his hair combed forward and looks good that way. Great stuff, though the pictures are indeed blurry.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Originally posted by hairworthy:

Yes it's also good to see a patient who (like myself) wears his hair combed forward and looks good that way. Great stuff, though the pictures are indeed blurry.

Yeah, I'm going to get some clean ones up this weekend. Those are all I had from trying to do it myself though. Sorry, guys!

-Robert

Originally posted by JacobS:

Looks like the meds really worked for you also, note the back and sides. One more pass in the front would really consolidate.

I've been thinking about it a lot and I am going to watch how Avodart, Nizoral, and Minoxidil maintain my current hair for a while. If, by the time I reach 30 (three years) I have maintained and/or regrew a bit more and I have certainly not lost any ground, I will consult with Dr. Cooley about another pass on the hairline. I have no plans to touch the crown.

-Robert