(NEW~17MonthUpdate)Robert's hair transplant performed on 6/18/2004

Robert_

Brando -

My transplanted hair started popping up as "peachfuzz" at around 4 1/2 weeks. I didn't say anything because I wanted to make sure that my eyes weren't decieving me. I would say that I saw the first real sprouters getting color and length at around 7 weeks and there are more and more each week now. The hairline has hardly filled in, as you can see - there is a lot more growing to do, but so far I am extremely pleased.

Hugh -

I was waiting on someone to ask that. No, no Toppik or other concealer was used in that last photo (or any of the photos), though I am glad that you asked. The mere mention that some was used makes me smile and reassures me that the progress is very real and not just in my head. In the last photo if you look at the top (crown) area you can still see that I am still very thin there. The light does make it look very thick but that picture is only about a week and a half after the 3 month post op ones before (the ones taken outdoors in natural light). My hair had grown out a little (it grows very fast now - maybe due to the MSM or the Biotin or combined...dunno) so that also helped. For what it is worth, I still wear a hat almost everywhere and will continue to do so until the hairline grows in more - maybe month 6?

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today is the 4 month post-op mark. New sprouts are coming in nicely and the hangers-on are long and thick. I am still using Minoxidil in the recipient area. I have no real intention of stopping that. Keep in mind that in the pictures I had applied Minoxidil 5% only four hours before so my hair is a little greasy.

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Good deal! If your regrowth stopped now--which it won't, of course--you would still have tremendous improvement. The next few months should be even more gratifying.

Obviously, since I had my HT done by Dr. Cooley, as well, I have more than just a kindred-spirit interest in your case. I just passed the four-week mark three days ago, and as is normal, I haven't got much yet to show for it. Remarkably, about fifty of the transplanted hairs refused to give up the ghost; those game little troopers are still there and growing.

I actually needed that. Otherwise, it would be too easy to get dejected. This is the stage, when there are no signs of growth, when it's easy to let oneself think "What did I pay all that money for?"

Besides just my desire to have my hair back, I have to confess I am also curious to see the outcome of Dr. Cooley's efforts. I know the hairline he drew for me and it was exactly what I wanted (within the limits of my Norwood VI noggin), and now I am impatient to gauge his results. Everything I have read about Dr. Cooley--from you, Robert, and other Cooley patients--attest to his remarkable artistry.

He and his staff spent eleven hours on my head without a break; that's longer than most others have reported their procedures taking. Since he spoke of no significant problems with the surgery, I can only guess that he took that much time to ensure that he did everything exactly right and to achieve the maximum cosmetic effect. His attitude was extremely positive at both the conclusion of the surgery and at my follow-up visit. And now I'm dying to see if his work on me turns out to be a real masterpiece. I'll be thrilled if my head turns out as good as yours has, Robert.

I have months and months to go, alas.

One day at a time.

Hair Apparent

I haven't noticed any big time growth and I'll be 3 months post op on November 5. I know I know...I'm just getting bored with the waiting game and am going through the questioning stage, "Is everything alright?"..."Will I see growth?"

Btw...Robert, those 4 month pics really show an improvement. Congratulations!

You have to remember that most of the growth that I am seeing is from starting back on the meds. I really think starting back on minox really kicked my crown in gear. My transplants only go back to about the ears so that is starting to come in. I think its going to make for a good transformation for Christmas.

I am looking forward to your three-month pics, Brando. That is when the magic startsicon_smile.gif.

• 4 weeks later...

**5 month update**

Everyday is better and better. I can leave the house without a hat on (with a little Toppik sprinkled on the crown) every day now. In fact, the only time I have worn a hat lately is around the house! It's also a great feeling not to feel "naked" without it on anymore. And yes, I have gotten compliments on my hair! I will be posting a picture with Toppik in tomorrow for everyone to see and give feedback.

-Robert

Thanks, HBT.

Nope, to burn my hat would mean that I would be burning a University of South Carolina hat, and I can't do that! Especially this weekend when we are playing Clemson! But I will say that it has been rather lonely while I have been going out and leaving it here alone...haha.

-Robert

lookin good robert.....i'm just at 5.5 months and you are right.....every day it gets better and better. it looks a lot thicker in the front. Come Christmas, you and I will have our best presents ever!

by the way......Spurier?

Thanks Hugh.

And yes, Spurier. Anything's better than old man Holtz. Well, I can't say ANYTHING, but I am certainly glad that they didn't consider giving the job to Lou's son, Skip.

-Robert

Now let's not give Holtz a bad time, remember before he got to South Carolina they had only been to 1 bowl game in last 30 yrs and Holtz has taken them to 3 bowl games (probably 4 with this years team) in the past 5 years!!!! Pretty good turn around with tough SEC conference.

SIde note on Holtz-- did you know he has had a HT!!! He has the older plugs-- he combs his hair forward to the side so you can not see his hairline, but on an ESPN sideline interview when Notre Dame won the National Championship (ESPN CLASSIC TV) he was interviewed in the wind and his hair was blowing back which revealed the pluggy HT. Looks like he has thick hair because when combed forward you can not tell.

ANother time on TV last year you could see the temple areas looked a little pluggy. Just FYI>

icon_smile.gif

I love that this discussion is in my thread.

We got Holtz on the unfortunate decline of his years. Yes, we have gone to 2 bowl games (not 3) in the last 5 years, but if you look at his prior track record and what he has repeatedly promised the paying (yes, we pay him quite a bit) Gamecock fans over the last 5 years it does not add up.

I am especially frustrated with his recent weeping in a public interview right before a big game. Needless to say, we lost that game and just today we lost very badly to Clemson. Clemson was 5-5 going into that game. We were 6-4. We got beaten miserably when we should have won; no questions asked.

My main agenda other than Lou Holtz is Skip Holtz. This guy is just a waste of space on the coaching staff, hands down. We fired no less than 5 coaches last year to "restructure." However, the one coach that should have been canned first was Skip, yet suprisingly enough, he stayed. The Holtz's have milked the Gamecock fans of support and money for long enough. The gravy train needed to stop two years ago.

-Robert

Now Robert, sounds like your pretty disappointed. Yes Holtz did say this year the Gamecocks could contend for the SEC (in his preseason statements) but I think he was just looking at the good young talent he has recruited and forgot --they are young freshman and sophmores that he spoke about. And I think he underestimated the balance SEC play this year (other than Auburn which is kicking everyone).

Yes Holtz is in the later years and has battle personal crisis with his wife the last couple of years--- BUT JUST LOOK WHERE YOU GUYS WERE AT 5 YEARS AGO---- you hardly ever had a winning season and never a bowl. So to bring South Car. into the Top 25 which he has done every year (might not have stayed there but being in the top 1/3rd of 110 division one programs is an accomplishment). Yes, I think all the stress with personal life showed him "cracking " a little the last couple of years in news conferences. But be grateful that you guys are not considered "patsies" anymore in the SEC-- you guys are respected now.

One thing I do agree on, is Skip has been a bottom feeder his entire career and doesnt know anything about football--- he's tagged along on his Dad's reputation and connections. Skip never even played college football, so how can he coach it? There are only a few college coaches who never played at that level, like a Mike Leach at Texas Tech but it is less than 1%. Skip has to go, and I think Lou knows that because he was trying to set the stage for Skip to replace him, mentioning it several times the last couple of years--- but over the past month he has endorsed Steve Spurrier and has personally cotacted Steve (who is a good friend) to take over when he retires--- well, yes what-- Big Lou pulled it off as of this weekend and you got STEVO coming to SC---- so maybe Lou knew Skip doesnt have it after all.

Enjoy, the progression---- IT will take Steve 3-4 yrs to get his players into the system and have them mature enough to compete with the run and gun in the SEC (a good QB and WR, you guys could make some noise in 2007)

I really think that we could make some noise as early as '06 depending on recruiting and what kind of headlines this change-up makes outside of SC.

Yeah, I am scorned. We all are here. We all wore the shirts back when Lou came that said "How do you spell relief? H-O-L-T-Z"

True, our program came a long way. However, it was too little compared to what was promised. South Carolina football is still the underdog of the SEC. True, to be in the SEC means to always have one hell of a tough schedule, but with 88,000 fans filling Williams-Brice stadium every saturday, rain or shine, win or lose; its definitely a let-down. Especially these past two years.

When Lou got here he implemented a lot of changes. Some were understandable (he took the names off the backs of the jerseys so there were no "Stars") but some were ludicrous (he actually tried to petition the school to change the mascot - OUR FRIGGIN" MASCOT!!!! to the panthers. That showed his attitude towards out program and our school. He thought he was going to walk into po-dunk Columbia, SC and settle in and make waves because he was Lou Holtz. You know what? We gave him every chance (exept changing our mascot. Who has the nerve to request that???) that he needed. All I am saying is that with that kind of attitude coming in we had every right to expect better results coming out.

And yes, Skip is an idiot. I hear Subway is hiring for a few sandwhich artists...

-Robert

Robert,

SOunds like Lou, you, and the fans set the bar of success at the highest level. I have to admit, a coach of Lou's stature always shoots for the top. He turned Arkansas in the 80's into a top 10 team. He turned Minnesota into a Top 20 team, and brought back Notre Dame to the glory it previously had-- maybe he was coming too many issues/situations to Notre Dame and should have compared the situation to Minnesota or Arkansas. Who knows, but one thing for sure-- you guys are in the best position you've been in decades. SC is known as a contender-- even at 6-5, everbody knows that they will be in for a good game plan, coaching, and fight--- unlike prior Lou when SC was cream puffs-- I known of teams that actually prepared for the opponent 2 weeks down the line during the week up to playing SC. That doesnt happen anymore. Your in a better situation, and hopefully Stevo can get some QBs (remember he likes that dam 3 QB rotation system-- even with his Heisman trophy QB Woerfull who rotated)-- be ready for that one and just go with the flow. Maybe Stevo will take you to the championships. Lou got you to top 20 level, now Steve TOP 10??? Time will tell.

Go Soooners !!!!! (OU over Auburn for #1-- USC doesnt belong)

HAHA,

Smoothy, the voice of reason. I don't sound THAT disgruntled in my posts do I? haha

Well, yeah. Lou will be missed by all here. Call us jaded (or just me) but I am tired of the Gamecock motto being "There is always next year." Especially when it takes a miracle to get a ticket to a game (and this is as a STUDENT) sometimes.

But, alas, there is always next year.

As far as Clemson and USC both turning down bowl eligibility...well, screw it. If you ask me, either team deserves a bowl anyway.

-Robert

• 1 month later...

Before:

1a4a7f00.jpg

6 months post-op:

6monthstop.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words. What else can I say? Thank you Dr. Cooley!!!

I have a few more posted in my gallery.

-Robert

Outstanding results so far, friend. It makes me even more excited over what mine will look like in four more months.

If there is one good thing about baldness, it's the fraternity we have here from all of us being in the same boat. I'm glad for you, shipmate.