How can just a Blood Test determine success of Hair Transplant ?

A couple leading hair transplant dr clinic talk about doing some sort of blood test to find out if there will be no problem with the hair graft growing and one can have proper yield I am wondering how can blood tests alone help figure out if the transplanted fair graft will grow or not? Anybody who has had experience with leading clinics if you guys can shed done light on this.

They usually test the blood for HIV, Hepatitis etc. And that's for the protection of the surgeon and techs, doesn't mean you can't have a HT.

Never heard of it being tested for in terms of growth success.

Its for a HiV test for the protection of the staff doctors and equipment

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

August,

Like a few others stated, the blood work is standard and really doesn't reveal any information about whether or not the grafts will grow. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Just got a reply from Dr.Rahal's clinic, In my online consultation with them, I had asked them what are the chances of Hair Not Growing or a Low Yield and their reply was a little confusing saying we do some Blood Tests to make sure you will not have any problems with the Yield. I understand Blood Test for HIV and Hapatitis but how and what Blood Test gotta do with the Hair Transplant Success !! Could not figure out !

Hiv doesn't show up sometimes for years. It depend how much person is resistant to HIV virus.

Most doctors do elisa or dot testthose are just instant way of letting you know u r not infected its not guarantee you don't have HIV.

aNY BLOOD BAG for transfusion READ CAREFULLY IT SAYS if person is under window period their is no guarantee.

Window period spans from sometime months o more then 6 years and some cases more then that.Its my opinion on HIV and blood test.

hiv doesn't show up sometimes for years. It depend how much person is resistant to hiv virus.

Most doctors do elisa or dot testthose are just instant way of letting you know u r not infected its not guarantee you don't have hiv.

Any blood bag for transfusion read carefully it says if person is under window period their is no guarantee.

Window period spans from sometime months o more then 6 years and some cases more then that.its my opinion on hiv and blood test.

stop spammmmminnnngggggg !!!!!!!

FUEonly,

The window period for seroconversion of HIV is roughly 3-6 weeks. While those with potential exposure undergo screening usually at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months, most experts agree with the 3-6 week seroconversion data. What's more, the ELISA is a very sensitive test for the virus. Because of the high sensitivity but lower level of specificity, it is used to screen before confirmation with a Western blot or PCR (though PCR can be performed earlier as well). Therefore, ELISA is a perfectly valid test to screen and rule out the presence of the virus in a pre-surgical scenario.

However, in my opinion - which likely speaks more to August's original question - the pre-operative blood work is likely more of a way for the physician to assess for any anemia, infection, electrolyte abnormalities, bleeding issues, etc, that would created a complicated procedure, poor outcome, or delayed healing. This falls more under the realm of the "standard blood work" (complete blood count, metabolic panel, blood clotting analysis) mostly associated with surgery clearance.

Again, just my analysis. I hope this helps clear some things up.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Just got a reply from Dr.Rahal's clinic, In my online consultation with them, I had asked them what are the chances of Hair Not Growing or a Low Yield and their reply was a little confusing saying we do some Blood Tests to make sure you will not have any problems with the Yield. I understand Blood Test for HIV and Hapatitis but how and what Blood Test gotta do with the Hair Transplant Success !! Could not figure out !

Thank goodness some docs take a full medical history on their patients "prior" to surgery. Sometimes a doctor may require further blood work "if" the patient discloses a medical condition and/or current medications that could potentially impact the yield.

The doctor may see something like lupus, cancer, or a deficiency in the patient's auto-immune system that require further testing/screening.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY