Uneven Growth after 6 and Half months. Help!

Hi guys as the title says I have one side(right side) of my hairline and just behind it where it's noticeably thinner and less dense than my right side.

I had 1700 fue to my frontal third as it was thinning out but now I'm concerned as I'm not sure there will be any new growth but just maturisation of the existing ht hairs?

Has anyone experienced one side lagging behind(a lot thinner and less dense) and will it catch up? :((

Any replies with experience would be really appreciated as it's getting me :((

who was your doctor? do you have any photos?

I've had lagging growth that picked up after 6 months before on my first procedure.

as you know 6 months is still very early overall.

Btw I'm at almost 4 months post-op HT#2 and my one side (less visible side of my avatar) has not seen many or if any new hairs and also has shockloss, so it is quite common.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

My Doctor is a very well respected ht surgeon from Belgium. I don't have any pics but it's more of a reassurance that this happens a lot and it will resolve itself, as I know it's a waiting game.

Did yours fully recover then Hrsp10 ?

For HT#1 yes, it leveled at around the 6 month mark.

Right side had a lot of early growth and the left was lagging, but it just gradually caught up until there was no difference. There are a lot of posts here on this.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/138212-uneven-graft-growth.html

Why Is My Hair Growth Uneven 6 Months after Hair Transplant Surgery? | Hair Transplant Blog

Take photos to record your progress and keep in touch with your doctor.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

My right side is a bit ahead of the left. Not by much but enough to be noticeable (3 months + 1.5 weeks).

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hi Ocean,

A few things to consider here:

First, it is very common for one side of a hair transplant to grow slower or "lag" when compared to the other. This is natural and everything should even out by the 12 month mark (likely sooner).

Second, are you taking any preventive medications? Patients sometimes report "thinning" of transplanted hair or one area of a transplant (particularly in a region prone to progressive androgenic alopecia) growing poorly, and it is often caused by progressive loss of native hair surrounding the implanted grafts. This results in an overall thinner appearance or the perception of poor yield.

Third, at 6 months, your grafts are only roughly 40% matured. This means growth rates are still different and new hairs may still appear thinner and "wiry." Because of this, it really is important to wait a full 12 months before fully evaluating the result.

Hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hey man -I was in exact same boat. One side was growing great while the other hairline looked like it had been forgotten although up unitl a little past 7months. Then it just kind of showed up one day -I hope you get similar relief cause it can be a nail biter.

Hey Blake and BlackAmish and everyone who's responded you guys are great your knowledge and experience is invaluable..as I'm at roughly the half way mark I'm hoping I will have a lot of maturing and thickening to come? Though it's a little bit of a nail biter you right.

One more thing you may have experienced or not sure if I should start another thread is:

I had donor hair implanted In-between existing hairs in my frontal third now when I split a parting in my hair where areas that are still thin I can see and have been seeing little stubble hairs that have not grown (as I have monitored a particular area for the last 6 weeks) they seem to have been sitting there around 1-2mm in length,and NOT growing.

Can someone tell me if they are just dead hairs? Or will they kick in and grow? I'm a little confused Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks again

I had these same small stubbles that seem to start growing and just stop for weeks. This was in the donor and recipient areas. They did eventually kick in and grow.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Yes they could be dead hair shafts and why many doctors want their patients to get a little more aggressive cleaning the scalp once everything heals.

All that is needed is to use the pads of your fingertips to gently scrub the area in a circular motion while shampooing. If the stubbles remain, use a tad bit more pressure. The circular motion will dislodge most of the dead hair shafts and they will rinse away with the suds. :)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Yes they could be dead hair shafts and why many doctors want their patients to get a little more aggressive cleaning the scalp once everything heals.

All that is needed is to use the pads of your fingertips to gently scrub the area in a circular motion while shampooing. If the stubbles remain, use a tad bit more pressure. The circular motion will dislodge most of the dead hair shafts and they will rinse away with the suds. :)

The question was really referring to hair in the donor but thanks for this. Why does it matter if dead hairs hang around well after healing? Eventually, the new hair will just push the dead hair out correct?

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Ok, thanks for the clarification. It appeared that you had this in both the donor and recipient areas.

Sometimes dead hair shafts tell the brain and immune system that something foreign is in the scalp. For some, those dead hair shafts begin to fester in the scalp and can even form small white or red bumps at the base of the hair shaft.

And yes for the most part the new hair shaft pushes through the former shaft just as they do in normal cycling. Sometimes the dead shaft gets lodged and serves more as an obstruction to the new growth.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY