My experience with 6 hair transplant consults in NYC

My experience with 6 hair transplant consults in NYC: (I'm 27 years old)

My hair: Norwood 3, still frames my face well, only receding in the front.

Consultations: I ended up having consultations with 6 reputable hair transplant surgeons in NYC (all highly recommended by this website). I received a lot of conflicting information from them. Some said I needed 1200 grafts…others said 2200. The hairlines drawn were all very different from one another. The fees were very different too…between $6,000-$15,000.

4 recommended the surgery: Little concern was put on the long term effects of this procedure (it was even brought up to all of them that I cannot take propecia since I had side effects). It was more about “let’s fix this hairline up now.”

2 did not recommend the surgery: This included Dr. John Frank. I chose to not have the surgery now. And here’s why:

1. My hair looks fine now. I am exaggerating the hair loss issue in my own mind and becoming afraid of the future hair loss…not how I look right now.

2. It is incredibly stupid to have my hair transplanted to my current hairline in exchange for ~$15,000 and a grid or line of scars all over the back of my head. Why fix something that is not significantly broken yet?

3. I am going to inevitably lose more hair…and a transplant done now will have a lower hairline. If I end up with excessive hair loss, I may not have enough hair for the top of my head. Thus leaving me with a weird patch of hair in the front of my head. I definitely do not want to live my life with that...

The solution:

Wait until there is significant loss in the front…THEN consider a hair transplant that creates a more conservative hairline that plans for future loss.

Just thought I would share this experience for other guys in their 20s who are considering a hair transplant. You really should wait a bit so there's a better idea of future hairloss if you're just starting to lose hair. Also, get multiple opinions and chose the more conservative one. Surgeons make a living off of surgeries and you can't expect them to all give conservative and honest recommendations.

I definitely recommend Dr. John Frank if you're looking for an honest recommendation in NYC. His recommendation was honest and appropriate for my situation.

This is his website: Hair Loss Doctor New York City, Dr. John Frank

Edited by fr5252

Great write up, 20's is definitely too early to undergo HT surgery in most cases.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)