Considering hair transplant - few questions

Hey Guys,

I have consulted with a few docs regarding my hair loss and believe the only realistic solution to provide full coverage is to go the HT way.

The estimates from docs are in the 3.5 to 4k graft range to achieve a decent amount of coverage.

I am currently on finasteride and iGrow laser since a month and going to see the results of that for a few months before actually going for an HT.

Docs recommended that the HT be done for the frontal part of hair with the crown later at future stages. The crown is definitely a concern and I would like to see it covered. The rationale was since the crown still experiences hairloss throughout, anyone done a crown transplant at a young age? I would be interested in seeing the results.

Also, since number of grafts are limited, another option suggested was body hair transplant (BHT) to add to HT. Is BHT not as effective as a normal HT? Has anyone done a combination of HT and BHT who is/was a NW 5 to 6 and had decent results? Please let me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi K,

Let me see what I can do to address some of your questions:

First, many do recommend saving the crown for later procedures or only dedicating a small number of grafts to the vertex region. Frankly, many believe crown coverage requires a significantly large number of limited grafts and does not offer the cosmetic results of hairline, temple, and frontal/midscalp restoration. Having said that, I have seen crown restoration in younger patients. If this is important to you, I would highly recommend discussing it with your surgeon. However, make sure to keep the "pros and cons" in mind.

Second, body hair grafts are traditionally reserved for those with depleted donor supply or patients seeking repair procedures. Body hair grafts exhibit a similar type of "donor dominance," and will retain the characteristics of the region where they are extracted. This means chest hair grafts will grow like chest hair on the scalp; leg hair grafts will grow like leg hair on the scalp; et cetera. This obviously creates certain issues with respect to growth cycles and hair characteristics. However, I have seen an increasing number of beard hair grafts mixed with scalp follicular unit grafts cases recently, so there may be some merit in this approach. However, it is important to remember that body hair grafting is a delicate procedure, and you should likely seek this type of restoration from a practitioner who performs a LOT of body hair work. However, altogether, I still believe most would recommend normal scalp grafts.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Out of curiosity, why does the crown require a larger amount of grafts than say the front and mid-scalp area?

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.