Styling transplanted hair?

Hi guys,

I just had a few questions with regards to styling of transplanted hair. Can you guys please go through these questions and help me with these?

- I am 9 months post op and have some moderate success after my surgery. I have started using Rogaine foam, but I am having a tough time using it. Every time I massage it in my hair I break/lose alot of hair. Will these broken hair grow back? Or are these gone for good?

After putting Rogaine in my hair, my hair looks like crap and extremely thin. Any tips how can I style my hair after using Rogaine foam.

- I put in Rogaine foam and when it is wet I comb my hair and while doing that I pull out alot of hair. Will these pulled out hair grow back?

Any styling tips? Please let me know.

Thanks,

HairGreed

Hi Hair,

Keep in mind that losing 50-150 hairs a day is normal. Most of the time, people notice this loss while manipulating their hair (during washing, styling, etc). However, it is difficult to say whether or not the hairs are affected by androgenic alopecia or not. However, utilizing the minoxidil should help stabilize the loss - if this is what's occurring - and create stronger, more healthy follicles.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I guess what I wanted to ask was the transplanted hair that have grown back - if I comb them wet, pull them out while combing after Roagine foam application? Or, they get pulled out when I style my hair, will these transplanted hair grow back? I was not asking about the hair that are affected by androgenetic alopecia.

Please let me know.Any styling tips?

HairGreed...I don't like styling my hair with Rogaine either. So I apply Rogaine about an hour or more before bed. Yes over the years it has stained a pillow case or two, but that's just the small price I pay for the benefit. Putting Rogaine on before bed also allows me to shower in the morning and then style my hair Rogaine free. It may not be perfect, but I am getting 8-9 hours a day with Rogaine and it does not interfere with styling in the morning before work.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Hey Shampoo,

Thank you for your reply. The issue is I have been using Roagine foam for 4 months twice a day. Now I am concerned that I will lose the hair I gained or lose whatever little density I have if I switb to once a day. What are your thoughts on that? Have you switched from twice a day to once/nightly application?

Do you if we slick our hair back with a comb after gel or rogaine foam, when they are stiff and hard the pulled out hair will grow back? Or if we omb the transplanted hair when wet is it harmful?

Hi Greed,

With regard to your follow-up question:

Yes, if transplanted hairs shed during styling, these should completely grow back. Transplanted hairs should be immune to the androgenic alopecia process and cycle back into a normal anagen phase after shedding during the telogen phase.

Hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I don't recommend using it in the morning and definitely not for styling. It will be beneficial to apply every night before bed. Once a day is sufficient in my experience. Leave it off in the morning or it will not look good.

As for the hairs that fall out it is too difficult to say if they are permanently lost or just shed. Hopefully it is not lost forever because I loose about 10-20 hairs every time I put the foam on my crown. I suppose if it was permanent I would be completely bald on my crown. Since I am not I am inclined to believe that it is mostly shed with a few that are lost permanently.

Do you guys think if I switch from Rogaine foam twice to once day, I will lose the transplanted hair as well? Do you think Rogaine foam once a day is fine?

Patriot,

I was asking about the transplanted hair that get pulled while combing after Rogaine application. Rogaine foam make my hair really hard and stiff and when I comb through my hair, I easily lose 50-60 hair. These transplanted hair gone for good as well?

I want to know how should treat my transplanted hair? I used Rogaine foam for 4 months twice a day. Will I lose transplaned hair if I switch to once a day application. Please help guys!

Much appreciated!