Why does it take 12-18 months to see full results? And some other questions...

Hi all. I had my procedure done with True & Dorin in middle of July of this year, so I'm about 4.5 months out. It was a 1000 graft FUT procedure to the hairline.

Right now, I have growth in the entire area, and most hairs are 0.5 - 1.0 inch in length. I can clearly see the hairline Dr Dorin created. However, while there is a ton of growth I didn't have before, I can't say that I'm completely satisfied, because I still don't have the appearance of 100% coverage in that area.

I've read and heard lots of people say that at 4.5 months out, I will probably only have 30-40% growth, and I won't see full results until 12 months out. First, am I accurate with that statement? Also, I'm wondering - why is that? If follicles rest for 2-3 months, and all the transplanted follicles all go into rest period around the same time (~2 weeks after procedure), shouldn't all the follicles start growing back at the same time, thereby giving you full results in 4-5 months? Why does it take 12-18 months to see full results? What's the reasoning behind it?

Finally, I have a few other questions. I have tons of itching in the recipient and surrounding areas. Is this because of nerves growing back? Also, I trim my hair with a #3 attachment, and the scar in the back is pretty visible. Will the hair there grow back eventually, or am I stuck like this?

shouldn't all the follicles start growing back at the same time

They don't all grow back out at the same time. And that's a GOOD thing!

Imagine if they all were programmed with the same growth cycle. All your hair would all fall out at the same time leaving you bald every time the cycle ends! That wouldn't be very nice, would it? Hair typically have a cycle of 2-7 years.

thereby giving you full results in 4-5 months? Why does it take 12-18 months to see full results? What's the reasoning behind it?

When they do start growing back it starts as very fine, downy hair which will thicken. This process can take up to a year sometimes longer.

I have tons of itching in the recipient and surrounding areas. Is this because of nerves growing back?

Yes, probably. Also the skin is damaged so you will find that you'll itch everywhere. It's nerves reconnecting.

Also, I trim my hair with a #3 attachment, and the scar in the back is pretty visible. Will the hair there grow back eventually, or am I stuck like this?

The hair should grow back. You''ve probably got some shockloss from the incisions. This is perfectly normal and the hair should grow back in 4-5 months post op. Bear in mind that this hair will also be thing to begin with.

Imagine if they all were programmed with the same growth cycle. All your hair would all fall out at the same time leaving you bald every time the cycle ends! That wouldn't be very nice, would it? Hair typically have a cycle of 2-7 years.

When they do start growing back it starts as very fine, downy hair which will thicken. This process can take up to a year sometimes longer.

Yep, I know that on our normal head of hair, each strand is in its own specific cycle :) ... But for the transplanted hair, their cycle has been pretty much "synchronized", no? Because ~2 weeks after surgery, they all fall out more or less together. So shouldn't this mean that they all grow in together, as well? Why are some growing now at 4 months, while a bunch others are still resting, if they all went into resting phase together?

The hair should grow back. You''ve probably got some shockloss from the incisions. This is perfectly normal and the hair should grow back in 4-5 months post op. Bear in mind that this hair will also be thing to begin with.

What worries me is that I AM at 4-5 months post-op, and I can still see the line even on a #3 buzz. I knew I wouldn't be able to do a #1, but a #3 is fairly long and I'm shocked that it can be visible at this length. Will this get better?

Why are some growing now at 4 months, while a bunch others are still resting, if they all went into resting phase together?

Because each hair also has a different resting length (telogen phase).

What worries me is that I AM at 4-5 months post-op, and I can still see the line even on a #3 buzz. I knew I wouldn't be able to do a #1, but a #3 is fairly long and I'm shocked that it can be visible at this length. Will this get better?

Same as me. I'm 3.5 months post op now and my line is clearly visible. I've got some shocks under the scar and it's still pink. It can take up to 12 months for the scar to heal and lose it's pinkness. The hair lost due to shockloss also takes a few months to regrow.

Don't panic. It's very early days. Around 6 months you should really be able to tell a difference!

Because each hair also has a different resting length (telogen phase).

Same as me. I'm 3.5 months post op now and my line is clearly visible. I've got some shocks under the scar and it's still pink. It can take up to 12 months for the scar to heal and lose it's pinkness. The hair lost due to shockloss also takes a few months to regrow.

Don't panic. It's very early days. Around 6 months you should really be able to tell a difference!

Thanks for the help and answers! :)

So, am I right in thinking that I'm probably only seeing about 30-40% of the final density right now, being 4.5 months out?