Why am I still losing hair? (Your experiences with stress and hairloss, please?)

MyNameIsRich

Hey gang.

Haven't been here in a while, hope everybody is doing well :)

I'm 24 in March, and unfortunately, i am still losing hair. it's only at the front (on the hairline), this is really frustrating as most people my age have no hairloss, what so ever, but also because I've been on minoxidil twice daily for over 2 years (when I first noticed very slight thinning on the hairline), i've been applying azelaic acid once a day at night for over a year, kenocotozal shampoo several times a week, and most notably, even WITH slight side effects, i've been on Finasteride for well over a year now (once every 3 days, 0.5mg, to best deal with the sexual sides).

I don't really display any hairloss because I spray a concealer on every single morning after my shower, however when you have a day at home, and don't bother putting any concealer in for a few hours, it really is apparent that my hairline has gone back over the last few years...at least an inch now, i'd say.

Could I jump onto Dutasteride once a week at 0.5mg, or would this be a dumb idea, because of my side effects with finasteride?

Also, i do suffer with quite a bit of social anxiety and have been in and out of depression quite a bit since my teenage years, however i'm getting better and learning to live without stress (getting a decent job has really helped my gain confidence and clarity in my life).

Has anybody really found that stress causes hair loss, i'm still skeptical, but i'm running out of options now. i just wanna stop my hairloss, so when i do go for a HT, i won't have to worry too much about more hair falling out.

/rant, thanks a lot :)

I looked at your youtube video from early 2013 (of which there is a link to on your blog).

I'm not seeing any hair loss. You just appear to have low density and very course hair. According to Dr Bernstein's site, those with thicker calibre hair tend to be in the lower density range.

There's likely to be some subtle changes to your hairline in your 20s and 30s but I don't think you have anything to worry about!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I looked at your youtube video from early 2013 (of which there is a link to on your blog).

I'm not seeing any hair loss. You just appear to have low density and very course hair. According to Dr Bernstein's site, those with thicker calibre hair tend to be in the lower density range.

There's likely to be some subtle changes to your hairline in your 20s and 30s but I don't think you have anything to worry about!

So i'll have a lot less hair to play with, when it comes to having HTs in the future? T_T

Yep, I try to update my youtube page (though all set to private or unlisted) every few months, perhaps i should record something tomorrow and upload here to show you the difference? Even if it's subtle, it's still getting worse :/

What am i looking for on here, specifically?

I'll get a video up tomorrow though, as that one is nearly a year old now

The bit below the blue chart about 2/3rds down:

As seen in the graph above, patients with low hair density will have fewer hairs per follicular unit (with a preponderance of 1- and 2- hair follicular units) and those with higher density will have a greater proportion of the larger 3- and 4-hair units.

Other characteristics of the follicular unit; such as hair color, wave, and hair shaft diameter; are important in determining the outcome of the hair restoration. Hair shaft diameter, which differs significantly among individuals, is particularly important in affecting the degree of fullness that can be obtained from a follicular unit transplant. In fact, hair shaft diameter contributes more to the look of fullness obtained from a hair transplant than hair density (number of hairs per cm2). See Measurements in Hair Restoration."

Your coarseness of hair puts you at a big advantage if you ever need a HT.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

The bit below the blue chart about 2/3rds down:

As seen in the graph above, patients with low hair density will have fewer hairs per follicular unit (with a preponderance of 1- and 2- hair follicular units) and those with higher density will have a greater proportion of the larger 3- and 4-hair units.

Other characteristics of the follicular unit; such as hair color, wave, and hair shaft diameter; are important in determining the outcome of the hair restoration. Hair shaft diameter, which differs significantly among individuals, is particularly important in affecting the degree of fullness that can be obtained from a follicular unit transplant. In fact, hair shaft diameter contributes more to the look of fullness obtained from a hair transplant than hair density (number of hairs per cm2). See Measurements in Hair Restoration."

Your coarseness of hair puts you at a big advantage if you ever need a HT.

Recorded this the other day between a couple car journeys - figured i'd talk on it to explain somewhat, my hairlines really pissing me off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8WNaZlSGJ0

Any input at all, from anybody, would be great. If I could plan to have a hair transplant on the hairline for 2 years time, would that be appropriate?

Wow. Your hair already looks great man - seriously it's fine. Maybe cut your hair short and style it differently...

I'm about to have my second hair transplant in a months time to get it to look like what you have now. I hope it turns out to look like what you have anyway!

Serious dude I wouldn't worry about that at all - your hairline isn't exactly high either...

Wow. Your hair already looks great man - seriously it's fine. Maybe cut your hair short and style it differently...

I'm about to have my second hair transplant in a months time to get it to look like what you have now. I hope it turns out to look like what you have anyway!

Serious dude I wouldn't worry about that at all - your hairline isn't exactly high either...

Cheers man, but i'm still not happy with it - i've never had the best hairline in the world anyway, but over the last few years it's gone back at least another half an inch, and isn't really showing any signs of stopping.

Just trying to figure out if i'd be a safe candidate with all the meds i'm on, at the age of 26 or so.. obviously that would give me another 2 years of planning and what not. Doubt i'll ever get anywhere near a norwood 5 anyway, so...