Has the tide turned on FUT vs. FUE?

It's been about a year since I visited these forums. I had FUT done about a year ago and was considering another round. There seem to be quite a few posters on here now warning people against FUT and the dreaded scar.

Have opinions changed in the last year on FUT vs. FUE or have I just stumbled across a few negative threads on FUT? Last I looked FUT was able to provide for a far higher number of grafts and the scar didn't seem to be such a big deal if done by a good doctor.

I think general consensus on FUE has changed a lot over the past 12 months, in that it is in a much healthier state than was previously mentioned. Some seem to believe as a result, FUT should no longer be considered. Even though I recently got an FUE procedure (my first HT), I still believe FUT has a big part to play in the industry.

How did your procedure turn out gobble? Has the scar been any issue to you?

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

I agree, I think there has been a much greater acceptance of FUE as the docs in Turkey, Belgium and Spain/Manchester have turned up excellent results and are able to do larger sessions. I think also because the recovery time is so much easier and the lack of a big scar patients have a preference for it. I think Mickey85 did a great FUE vs FUT comparison of pros and cons of each. That said, if you need a significant number of grafts then in most cases FUT is still probably the best option.

That said, if you need a significant number of grafts then in most cases FUT is still probably the best option.

Why is that? To save money? Make the doctor's job easier? I'd much rather pay more, risk a slightly less yield, and even spread the operation out over multiple days to avoid FUT.

There are valid opinions to support both methods. Bottom line is if the individual wishes to wear a shorter buzzed hair style, then FUE is a better option IMHO to enable someone to wear the length much shorter. Notice that I did not say, "shaved scalp", buzzed is possible for most.

Again, there are endless strip patients that would not trade away their results for anything. They heal well, have a thin strip scar and desire a longer hair length.

I have conversed with more guys over the years who grow out the length of their transplants and has nothing to so with scarring. They love their new hair just as I did with 6900 grafts to date, and the last thing they want to do is cut it off. I realize this is not true for every guy out there.

It's a subjective issue because the bottom line is that the patient is happy and able to meet the goal they had before surgery.

Once FUE across the board improves overall yields, then I think more guys will choose FUE if they can afford it. The nice thing is that can be done in smaller sessions until the patient gets to where they want to be.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It's a subjective issue because the bottom line is that the patient is happy and able to meet the goal they had before surgery.

Nail...hammer...hit!

Most people (at least most people on this forum) have done a ton of research weighing up the pros and cons of both methods. They have reach a conclusion based on their requirements and expectations.

If the patient is happy then everyone should be happy, be it FUT or FUE.

I think a lot of people get the impression bad scars from FUT only result from bad doctors, so they go to a reputable doc and find out the hard way it doesn't necessarily work like that. Only then it is too late.

There is risk in everything, but FUT carries a lot more risk IMO. I would never take that gamble, even if I was told I had good skin laxity and whatnot.

FUT is for real men, for everyone else there is FUE. :D:D

Joking aside, my reasons for going FUT were:

• I don't go lower than a grade 5 or 6 on the back. My hair is rigid and to have any hope of styling it, it can be no shorter.
  • I wanted the best chance of the best yield on the hairline.
  • Laxity was good.
  • I needed a big number of grafts in one sitting.
  • I may end up a NW6 and not convinced I could get 4000+ grafts entirely out of the safest zone.
  • I didn't like the idea of someone punching out my follicles, especially the multi-haired ones, blindly, and 'hoping' they don't transect the follicles.

3 months out and no regrets at all.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

There seem to be more doctors doing consistent, successful FUE megasessions, so my thoughts on this method of surgery has certainly changed over the past year or so. My one major concern regards the safe zone and how you must flirt with going outside it in order to obtain the number of grafts necessary. I suppose for some people the risk of possibly using terminal grafts outweighs having a strip scar, though.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I've add FUT twice and was very happy.

So called "scar" has been 100% non-issue.

I will have another FUT next year to finish my crown.

If I needed small "touchups" later I would consider FUE.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

FUT is for real men,

• I didn't like the idea of someone punching out my follicles, especially the multi-haired ones, blindly, and 'hoping' they don't transect the follicles.

If you are a real man, you can risk it! Where are your balls? :confused:

Seriously, FUE is for pussies, I agree. They are too sensitive about the scar! Most folks don't have a problem. I didn't. I just laughed it off, and when girls gave me a gentle warning about it (under my hair) I just didn't get it.

When I continued to lose hair, when I realised I was going back to the HT clinic every few years to get more, when i realized I was always one HT away from ultimate success and that my only hope was pinned on drugs like Fin and Dut , that could potentially screw my head and balls, or simply cease to be effective, I realized all along, that a certain cranky doctor in Sydney had been right all along, FUE was the way.

Now I see the strip reps warning us of the 'myths' and the 'hype' of FUE, and I see their well-meaning disciples lining up in the trenches for them too, and some of them look great, and with FIn working for them, chances are they really won't regret it like me. I must say many, many others face the day wishing they could escape the hell, the private hell that the strip scar has created for them.

Without the losers paying the bills, the winners have no pedestal to parade their great strip jobs. Of course remember, that FUE docs are just as willing and reckless, just that consumers are more informed every year, and therefore, we can say, yes, indeed, the prevailing wind is all for FUE. But the centre of gravity on this sight was always strip, and when it threatened to change, in came the biggest rationalization of all. " It all depends" - "case-by-case" - "you can't generalize" - "strip and FUE both have their place"

And if that were so, there would be no debate, there would be no changing currents, nothing to discuss about shifting momentum. I come from an era when scalp reduction and strip 'both had their place'.

Though this may be changing with some of the more prominent FUE surgeons, the risk of poor yield with FUE plus the enormous cost has just made it a no brainer for me to go with FUT.

All of the downtime and ugly duckling crap is only worth it if decent results grown in a few months later.

Maybe the options will expand and cost will come down in the future.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

The moderators/admins have actually discussed this "changing tide" pretty extensively over the last year, and essentially agree with the consensus here: FUE is improving at a rapid rate and may one day eclipse the "strip" procedure and become the new gold standard, but FUSS still does have a place in modern hair transplant surgery.

Dr. Tykocinski actually reported on the FUSS versus FUE phenomenon at the recent ISHRS conference, and I think his analysis was pretty useful:

The strip harvesting technique does not compete with FUE. Both have their merits and indications. No one replace the other. Being able to perform both techniques with quality is the desired goal. The patient will have the benefits.

Altogether, I personally believe FUE - thanks to the hard work of dedicated FUE physicians - will continue improving and increasing in efficacy and popularity.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

If you have already had one FUT and were pleased with the scar does having a second FUT come with the risk of a larger scar? Or can you expect more or less the same result the second time around?

I guess I'm wondering if you've already had a moderate sized FUT are you locked in because you already have a scar or is there good reason to switch to FUE for the second round?

Looking to fill in more of the crown this time.

Yes and no. Yes in as far as FUE has come on leaps and bounds in Europe with loads of great results emerging. No in so far as people with extensive balding will be best served by stripping out and then adding 2000 more with FUE. For example a norwood 6 may get 11000 grafts with FUT+FUE or 7000 with FUE alone. It may still be worth going strip first for some.

Strip = 2003

FUE = 2013

Stick with the old, or go with the evolved.

If we are to believe your blanket statement then had I waited till today to begin my repair, instead of 2002, I would eventually have the same result but with all FUE?

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The moderators/admins have actually discussed this "changing tide" pretty extensively over the last year, and essentially agree with the consensus here: FUE is improving at a rapid rate and may one day eclipse the "strip" procedure and become the new gold standard, but FUSS still does have a place in modern hair transplant surgery.

Dr. Tykocinski actually reported on the FUSS versus FUE phenomenon at the recent ISHRS conference, and I think his analysis was pretty useful:

The strip harvesting technique does not compete with FUE. Both have their merits and indications. No one replace the other. Being able to perform both techniques with quality is the desired goal. The patient will have the benefits.

Altogether, I personally believe FUE - thanks to the hard work of dedicated FUE physicians - will continue improving and increasing in efficacy and popularity.

My friend i think FUE is the new gold standard, especially in Europe, and we finally have a revolution we deserve despite our frustration for lack of progress in the "cure front". I agree that FUSS still have a place as long as there are customers that prefer it.

As for doctor Tykocinski, i am sure he has to be politically correct due to the audience he is addressing and the sensitive nature of the subject he chose to speak openly about. But i think for most of us laymen with no professional ties to the industry its pretty obvious that FUE finally became a Strip without the drawbacks.

its pretty obvious that FUE finally became a Strip without the drawbacks.

It did?

You don't think much higher cost is a drawback?

You don't think higher tran-section rates are a drawback?

You don't think less over-all donor grafts is a drawback?

You don't think generally smaller sessions over multiple days is a drawback?

You don't think a much smaller pool of top doctors is a drawback?

One of the reasons for the "FUE is growing so fast" stat

is partly because so many doctors that basically are not

hair transplant surgeons decide to buy a NeoGraft machine

and start offering hair transplants. Many of these "FUE/NeoGraft"

doctors are not very experienced and their techs/staffs are not either.

I still think FUT for many reasons is by far the Gold Standard in

hair transplant surgery in North America and probably in the world.

Most guys in the general public are scared off because of cost

involved in a hair transplant surgery. With FUE the costs are even

higher and Mickey85 the resident "FUE Expert" basically states he

doesn't think there is an elite FUE doctor in North America...so besides

higher surgery costs the US or Canadian FUE patient would have to travel

overseas to get FUE surgery from an elite surgeon.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Why would they be better at FUE in Turkey and India than in the US? That makes no sense.

Oh dear....the naivety. Who wants to tackle this one?

The most critical factor, more so than the choice of FUE or FUT, always boils down to the surgeon. You must pick the best surgeon for either technique.

I have had one FUE procedure, and while I don't have a linear scar, I now have obvious thinning of the donor area. Moreover, the diffused scarring may potentially make future FUE procedures difficult. FUE may have significant advantages, but those become moot in the hands of a less than skilled surgeon.

Strip = 2003

FUE = 2013

Stick with the old, or go with the evolved.

The arguments have been done to death on here.

Which FUE doctor produces reliable and consistent yields and results which have been documented on video, and is also affordable?

The only person I would let do a FUE procedure on me is Dr. Lorenzo and I probably could never get an opening anyway.

FUT: 2010

FUT: 2013

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)