SMP + HT for young patient an option?

ratha91

HI all,

I am aware that I am not an ideal candidate for a hair transplant due to my age. I am only 23.

However I'd like hear people's opinion on this proposed idea:

Dr Glen Charles suggested that: 'It would be possible to place 1800-2000 follicular unit grafts in the frontal forelock region to help frame your face which may help to give you a more youthful appearance."

However I am also balding/thinning at the crown (scale is very noticeable) as well as the entire top of my head.

I am interested in combining SMP, to create the appearance of more density on the top. I would like to combine this with a low density hair transplant to create a hair line (as the downside of SMP in my opinion is the unrealistic nature of the hairline) and also at the crown.

I'm not sure exactly how many grafts this would require. I realise that my donor area needs to be reserved however I am keen to improve my hair situation especially as a young man.

Some feedback would be much appreciated. Would this be a suitable option or an unwise move at my age?

This is a great example of SMP and HT being combined to create great results:

**outside link removed**

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Hi Ratha,

As you said, others have successfully used this hair restoration plan before.

You will definitely need to keep the hair quite short all around to achieve a natural appearance with a rebuilt hairline and SMP, but it can be done. Did you get the chance to discuss this with Dr. Charles or any of our clinics that perform SMP (like Hasson & Wong or Shapiro Medical)? Did Dr. Charles recommend FUE or strip surgery?

Also, are you currently taking any preventive medications?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I'm fine with keeping it quite short all over, I just don't want to be sporting the slick shaven look just yet. This is why Im keen to combine smp with HT. Ive contacted Prohairclinic however they do not take on any patients under the age of 26. I understand the age argument but surely this strategy makes it less of an issue? Also Im a clear on this risks: that is losing so much hair that I need to shave every off into my scalp. At that point would I utilise SMP and sport the shaven look. Therefore why do not practisoners concern themselves so much about the risk? I am 23 and would like some form of hairstyle. In 10-15 years time I'm sure the idea of shaving my head and SMP will not be as much of an issue.

A doctor’s view on an acceptable result and a young patient’s view are quite different. Placing 2,000 grafts up front to frame the face will give you an ecstatic feeling because you haven't experienced a framed face for a while. BUT it will do just that. Frame the face. You won't have the desired density and further down the line you will want to have another procedure to fill in the mid scalp and work towards the crown. Ask yourself, how many young guys are walking around with a framed face but nothing behind it? The whole reason to get a transplant is to look and feel normal in society. As time moves forward, you might think I just want to be normal and shave it all off. That’s more normal than tattoos on my head and some thin hair. You’ll be at step one all over again.

Being young at such a high norwood level is detrimental to your mental well being. I know as I am one. It’s crazy when you see older men complaining about mild temple recession. If I was married with a family and had mild temple recession I wouldn’t care at all. Us young guys in the dating world hate to have any disadvantage such early in life.

On the other hand, you seem like you have realistic expectations since you want to use SMP to compliment the transplant.

Maybe FUE with temporary SMP would be a viable option, so you have the option to buzz down later if you so wish, without permanent tattoos all over your head. Shaving down with permanent tattoos on your scalp just seems a little odd, but that's just my opinion.

H&W are exclusivley strip, while SMG offer both strip and FUE.

Thanks for your response.

If combining SMP and HT I don't think as many as 2000 grafts would be used at the front to frame the face. Instead I would want to spread the grafts over as much area as possible. This would be combined with smp to create the illusion of density. The HT would also be particularly important at the front as im not entirely convinced by the realistic nature of the hairlines created by smp (its 2d).

Contrary to your opion, I think the shaven smp effect is the solution is all fails with HTs. I.e if I run out of donor hair to cover balding. In this case I would just shave my head. The tricopigmentation which is temporary scalp micropigmentation is what I would use.

Obviously if you do plan on shaving, FUE is the way to go, but it you plan on razor shaving, you will still be able to see the scars and my advice is to use your money on nice clothes and other things that makes a person attractive (if looks are your concern). However, if you never plan on razor shaving, and you are ok with buzzing very very short, then the FUE plus SMP can be a nice route. But, like I said, I advise against getting an HT at all if a razor shave is your backup plan.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I meant shaving would be the last resort. For instance, if I was left with bald spot which could not be covered as I had run out of donor hair then I would get these filled in with SMP then would shave head. I agree it would be pointless to get a HT then razor shave. I essentially want a low density HT to add three dimension to the SMP.