Can anyone recommend good HT surgeons in London?

Jared77

Hi,

I'm struggling to find reviews about hair transplant surgeons in London. On this site Dr. Bessam Farjo is mentioned allot in discussions but I don't want to travel to Manchester.

My situation at the moment, I am Norwood 5 and have been on propecia for 18 months. I was told by a surgeon at Ziering the other day that he could do 3000 grafts FUT. I would love to get a second or third opinion but all of the highly rated surgeons I come across are usually in the States.

I've never had a hair transplant before and the thought of being butchered by an amateur is scary! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Pal

I travelled from manchester to belguim for my HT-and i would suggest you broaden your area when looking for a surgeon-finding the right surgeon is the most important thing to consider when researching.

Surely spending a few hours travelling and a few overnight stays are worth it in the long run.

I would have thought a famous city like London would have the best surgeons Europe had to offer. These are the sites I was looking at that rate surgeons:

Full list of the best hair transplant surgeons

There are good surgeons in Manchester so I was surprised you went to Belgium. Who performed your HT, was it FUT? One of the reasons travel puts me off is because about 10 days later the stitches need to be removed and I suppose another trip.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

One of the reasons travel puts me off is because about 10 days later the stitches need to be removed and I suppose another trip.

Jared77 I flew from Texas to Vancouver, BC for my hair transplant. When I got back home after ten days I just had a local cosmetic surgeon I knew remove my staples. I am sure my regular doctor would have been happy to do it as well. It took all of 5 minutes and was totally pain free. Some patients even remove their own or have a family member do it. Don't let staple removal be a reason to avoid travel to an elite surgeon.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

If your after fut then Hassan and Wong or Rahal in Canada seem to produce the most consistent results!!! If your after fue, which I would research both methods then Lorenzo in farjo clinic is considered one of if not the best fue surgeon out there!! Alternatively Belgium has feriduni( who I used and highly recomend) for both fue and fut along which bisanga and mwamba, all mentioned drs are top notch!! In London the only one who regularly posts on here and has good results is dr reddy!! He does fue and had some very good examples!! If cost is an issue then turkey has some amazing drs in doganay and erdogan who are cheap but very highly skilled!!! Hope this helps!!

hairshopeing, I am definitely after FUT as I've lost allot of hair (Norwood 5), and would like to go for the maximum number of grafts. Dr Reddy looked like a good option but he only does FUE. The only rated surgeon I've found in London for FUT is Edward Ball (Ziering).

Let's say I was to consider doing the HT outside the country, it would mean 2 trips I'm sure? One for the assessment and the second for the procedure depending on the waiting list, correct me if I'm wrong.

hairshopeing, I am definitely after FUT as I've lost allot of hair (Norwood 5), and would like to go for the maximum number of grafts. Dr Reddy looked like a good option but he only does FUE. The only rated surgeon I've found in London for FUT is Edward Ball (Ziering).

Let's say I was to consider doing the HT outside the country, it would mean 2 trips I'm sure? One for the assessment and the second for the procedure depending on the waiting list, correct me if I'm wrong.

You can send quality photos to a clinic or do a Skype consultation. I travelled to New York from the uk, but only made the journey for my op. My consultation was done online.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

I thought the same thing, but it did not end up that way for me.

I too thought it was critical to meet the doctor and see the clinic before my surgery. In a perfect world it probably is the best thing. All we hear is "get several opinions, in-person consults, ect...". But many times that is just not at all practical. What if a patient is considering a doctor in the US, another in Canada, and another in Belgium....how many patients are actually going to spend the money for three long trips for in-person consults only? In reality not very many!

So after very careful study of elite doctors I decided I would save the consult trip money and just "go for it" trusting my research and trusting one of the top, most respected clinics in the world. I used the savings from no travel consult for more grafts.

It worked out great for me. I couldn't be more pleased, but I think the key factor is choosing an elite doctor because you will have to live with the result the rest of your life.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Yes it would.

However, you're in London! Get the Eurostar to Brussels. It takes about 2 hours. Depending on the clinic you choose you might even be able to walk there.

I would suggest, however, that you perhaps arrange consultation with more than one surgeon. There are loads of great HT surgeons in Brussels. Get the eurostar in the morning, have a few visits, then return in the evening.

You're about to spend ?1000s on a transplant. The cost of the ticket to Brussels is ?100 return. Surely that's money well spent to ensure you get the best quality HT.

As for the sutures, i had minhe removed by the local NHS nurse. No questions asked...they were actually very interested in the procedure.

You cannot rush a Hair Transplant. Get it wrong and you'll regret it for the rest of your life (literally). Seriously, do a LOT of research and meet face 2 face with the surgeons.

Good luck!

I live in London and flew to Chicago. It worked out the same price as the UK, even with the travel.

Farjo have a consultation facility on Harley Street so that is worth a look in. You can't go wrong with Bisanga and Feriduni either.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

i went to Dr Devroye in brussels

it worked out about ?3000 cheaper than if i had gone to a clinic in manchester

i did all the consultation over the web with pics etc and then a pre-op consultation when i got there

my staples were removed at my local doctors 2 weeks after the op

good luck with your research

A big thanks to all of the comments as they have been invaluable! Please keep them coming as I'd like to learn more!

I had not considered abroad as my ignorant brain thought that London would have the best surgeons in Europe. I was hoping to see a few hair clinics then book an appointment for surgery within 2 months. I would love to get it done as soon as possible but I've learned that won't be possible.

Brussels sounds like a good option and I will look into those recommended surgeons. It makes it so much more useful and meaningful when someone refers a surgeon that they've had a HT with.

I hadn't realised Farjo is also in Harley Street which I will check out. There is also Dr Shahmalak in Harley Street if he is worth looking into? He is highly rated on some sites. I saw Edward Ball from Ziering the other day, does anyone know anything about him?

If I can do the face-to-face consultations in the UK then I will know for sure if I'm a suitable candidate and what to expect. So if I go with a clinic abroad that has only seen my pictures or via Skype then I won't stress.

Dr Shahmalak did TV Doctor, Dr Christian Jessen's hair. I wasn't blown away with the result. It looks a bit thin and pluggy. Maybe he has better examples out there but I've yet to see them.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 1 month later...

Hi ... I had my HT with Edward ball in london ...just over 2700 grafts in November 2013. I don't really want to get involved in posting pics etc and I am aware that I am still in the early stages but I would say that my experience with him was excellent . I am aware that each individual results and healing process are different . I am also aware that it is very early to judge the scar etc from the surgery .... But I can assure you that my treatment with Dr Ball was first class ... The procedure was totally painless for me ..in fact that I would rather go for a HT than a dentist apt . Anyhow I am 9 weeks post op from fut . My scar is none existent and I can cut my hair to a grade 3 already with no signs of any surgery . I don't smoke .. Cut my alcohol intake totally 2 months b4 surgery and didnt drink for. A good few weeks after . I regularly go to the gym so say I am fit and healthy .. Some of my grafts have continued to grow ..actually quite a few . I personally from my experience highly recommend Mr Ball .

Hi ... I had my HT with Edward ball in london ...just over 2700 grafts in November 2013. I don't really want to get involved in posting pics etc and I am aware that I am still in the early stages but I would say that my experience with him was excellent . I am aware that each individual results and healing process are different . I am also aware that it is very early to judge the scar etc from the surgery .... But I can assure you that my treatment with Dr Ball was first class ... The procedure was totally painless for me ..in fact that I would rather go for a HT than a dentist apt . Anyhow I am 9 weeks post op from fut . My scar is none existent and I can cut my hair to a grade 3 already with no signs of any surgery . I don't smoke .. Cut my alcohol intake totally 2 months b4 surgery and didnt drink for. A good few weeks after . I regularly go to the gym so say I am fit and healthy .. Some of my grafts have continued to grow ..actually quite a few . I personally from my experience highly recommend Mr Ball .

This is your first post

You don't want to post pictures

You are highly recommending a named surgeon

Unless we see some pictures it's hard to believe your post. Not saying that Ed Ball is not a good surgeon. I've never heard of him so I can't judge. But no pics, first post and praising a surgeon is often made in the name of advertising......

You'll need to post some pics.

I'd love to see your non existent scar after 9 weeks.

Anyone who has been on the forum for more than 10 mins can spot these first time posters bigging up an unknown doctor from a mile away.

Regarding travel: I travelled to London and then flew to New York for my surgery. A trip to Manchester or to Belgium would be advised if you want the best options.

Isn't Dr. Reddy building a good reputation though? He's in London I think

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Sorry if I've upset you but was just an opinion and I thought that's what this forum was all about . I travelled from Ireland to London for my HT . But what would I know ... "I'm just a first time poster "

You haven't upset anyone. It's just that on this forum people are always suspicious of first posters who praise an unknown/little known surgeon with no evidence other than words.

It doesn't mean you are not genuine or that the surgeon is not a skilled one.

Think of it like this. You're looking for a new car, but not sure which one to go for. Your browsing forums to find out mroe. On these forums there are posters who's praise a lot of the known cars like Volvo, BMW, Audi etc. Whenever they do so, the post proof in the form of links, pictures, video etc etc.... And these posters also have a lot of posts.

Then there's a newly registered user who's 1st post is "I've just bought this car called Troll (which IS actually a genuine car make from the 60s), It's the best car in the world." . He posts no further information, no links, no pictures.

Would you trust that poster without further evidence.

We're a suspicious bunch on this forum and I personally thinks that's a good thing. We need to ensure potential HT Candidates gets facts and proof of skilled surgeons.

So don't take this the wrong way please. I'm sure you're genuine, and if you are, you'll be happy to post your results at some point. You can always blur out your face, that's what 99% of us do anyway.

Welcome and congrats on a HT. Grow Well.

I would have thought a famous city like London would have the best surgeons Europe had to offer.

I live in NYC and you would think it would have the best surgeons the industry has to offer. It's natural to want to stay close to home for your procedure, but I wouldn't let travel or money get in the way of choosing the best surgeon for your situation. If you simply can't afford it, my advice is to wait.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

I understand what your saying . I will probably get the courage to post photos once I get the results . I do have a pic of the scar the day the stitches were removed which I would be happy to post if you want . Just for the info my decision was by no means taken by financial reasons .. In fact quite the opposite ..

Hi , I'm not great with computers but if you go to my profile you will see a pic taken 14 days post op of scar . I will get my partner to take a new pic. Shortly and post it . I do feel tho that each person will heal at a different rate . I don't smoke went of alcohol , tea and coffee prior to op then for a number of weeks after only had water and ate really healthy .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, First of all please don't be put off by this being my first post I only ever look on forums for the stories posted rather than posting myself.

After reading this thread I thought i'd sign up to help out Sparkle as I know when I was researching it was pictures that did it for me. I had my FUT procedure with Dr Ball at the end of April last year (almost 9 months in now) and would like to just express how happy I am with the experience and also how things are going. I'm not going to list my whole story as it can already be found here:

(link removed - we don't host links back to this site)

Below are a couple of pictures (Scar & before/after), more can be found on my thread.

Scar-1.jpg

Befre-After1.jpg

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions although i'd prefer them on my thread :)

Edited by CMD
broken picture link