Cgv

lavy47

I noticed thinning of hair on my son approximately five years ago, just by the temples. He used some hair products indicated that it will help with the hair follicle nourishment and also nourishment of the scalp. I think it is put out by Redken hair products. It helped with the scalp appearance and maybe with slowing down the hair thinning. Approximately 3 years ago I felt some grooves on my son's scalp. At first it was just 2 small grooves. At present time, I think he has about 3 or 4, they are growing and the hair layout on that area is changing. No thinning of hair at present time over that area, just the grooves growing. He was diagnosed yesterday with Cutis Gyrata Verticis. He did not use any steroids, no muscle enhancement products, not a buddy builder, did not have braided hair, is not mentally retarded or has any problems. He is a normal 28 yr old male. For 3-4 months he used Rogain on the frontal part of his head, just to find out that it was not indicated to be used on that part of the head. I have 2 questions. Can Rogain be used on the frontal pat of the head, and in regards to the Cutis Gyrata Verticis:- anyone found anything that can be used to slow it down? Has anyone proceeded with the surgical correction of CGV? What was the outcome, any reoccurrence? What is the cost?

Dr. Cooley has done a scalp reduction for cvg. Not sure if the cost. I feel like Rogaine does help on the front. What is his age? You can email, my contact info is below. I have CVG, but haven't lost much hair so it has not been a major issue for me. There is another guy on the forum that did have a scalp reduction in the crown for cvg and the had it transplanted. He said he was happy with the result.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank you for your message. My son is 27, I mentioned the Rogain because of the warning on the container:"not to use it on the front of the head". If you have used it with great results, it is encouraging to me. My son used Rogain foam. What are you using?

My dad has grooves on his head as well, they appeared when he was 50, he is currently 70, no hair loss no thinning of hear. The hair is a little waive over the grooves but is not noticeable.

I don't know if this is genetic but it has me wandering. My dad was never examined for this, but I do want to mentioned that in the last 10 yrs he has severe head aches off and on. He behaves more and more as a recluse, in his own world, critical of all around him and on a downcast. He used to be a happy easy going person but not anymore. I question if that might be related to the grooves on his head.

I am tying to have my son's Dr. test for other underline causes but I am encountering resistance. In my mind, I can't accept a simple eye exam- head palpation from a dermatologist as a complete assessment, I want to rule out all other cause before I can accept this diagnosis.

I might be a little hypochondriac but I think its irrelevant to assume something without any evidence. How about you, what was your diagnosis based on? Has your Dr R/O all other causes?

I diagnosed myself and went to a dermatologist to confirm. A first he said I didn't have it, then I told him I was sure I did, then he got out a medical book and said, "Well, I guess you do have it."

The problem with CVG is that it is very uncommon (at least for treatment to be sought because of it). The average doctor will have little to no experience with it. I would have to look at the Rogaine label my self, but I do think it says "do not use on the front", the deal with that is that it was study was done in the crown for the FDA, so that it what it was approved for.

I do not think that CVG is as uncommon as people think, many people just have very mild cases. I usually see it in African Americans but it affects all races (I am white). I think it affects women too, it is just noticed less because they wear their hair longer, hence the difference in noticeable prevalence in backs and white men.

Honestly, the fact that your dad is 70 probably has a lot more to do with personality changes than the fact that he developed CVG. It is a genetic disease that is primarily cosmetic but can cause emotional trauma for those feel awkward socially because of it.

CVG can also be secondary that is accompanied by mental retardation or other serious health issues, but this would be obvious that it was secondary to another condition I believe.

I think for the most part, unless it is disfiguring and severe and you can't hide it with hair, the scars that you will receive from the procedure will be worse than the CVG. I don't feel that you have anything to worry about but you may be able to have a biopsy done.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank you for the information provided. We are white of German, Greek, roman and dutch desendance, that confirms what you mentioned in your message. One more question for you: Did your forehead appearance change in any way, anything more pronounced, I have the impression that my son's forehead appearance is slightly changing. The part above the eyes, also his cheek bones are more pronounced. I might be paranoid but that's something that I question for some time.

I have CVG, it sucks. Especially as the dr's I have been too have known next to nothing about the condition.

4066 FUE Grafts with Dr Bhatti, India 9&10 Jan 2014

For my pics and thread click the link:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173658-4066-fue-grafts-dr-bhatti-india-restoring-more-than-just-hair.html