hair doubling

crafter

Two years? I think this may be a bit ambitious. Eventually? Yes, I personally believe so.

I've stated many times on the forums that I believe donor doubling will be the "next big thing" in hair transplant surgery. The science behind the procedure is there and has been proven - though mostly theoretically - many times. However, like almost everything else in medicine, the practical application is requiring some additional work.

As I'm sure you're aware, Dr. Mwamba is experimenting with invitro bisection donor doubling, and Dr. Wesley reports some work with doubling via his new Pilofocus technique (though it is not quite clear whether or not this relies upon the application of ACell or not).

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Two years? I think this may be a bit ambitious. Eventually? Yes, I personally believe so.

I've stated many times on the forums that I believe donor doubling will be the "next big thing" in hair transplant surgery. The science behind the procedure is there and has been proven - though mostly theoretically - many times. However, like almost everything else in medicine, the practical application is requiring some additional work.

As I'm sure you're aware, Dr. Mwamba is experimenting with invitro bisection donor doubling, and Dr. Wesley reports some work with doubling via his new Pilofocus technique (though it is not quite clear whether or not this relies upon the application of ACell or not).

have you actually seen any good evidence for it though? all i've seen is what's on the pilofocius video, but that's only claimed regen evidence.

Crafter,

Almost all the evidence I've seen is data in scientific sources proving the theory behind the technique, not results demonstrating efficacy. I think this is the work being performed right now. Especially from Dr. Mwamba and the invitro bisection technique.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 5 months later...
Crafter,

Almost all the evidence I've seen is data in scientific sources proving the theory behind the technique, not results demonstrating efficacy. I think this is the work being performed right now. Especially from Dr. Mwamba and the invitro bisection technique.

Hair multiplication and stem cell therapies are both highly anticipated and often rumored. At the present time however, no one has yet started phase III (the critical phase for determining efficacy) of research in these areas. Unfortunately for hair loss sufferers, this means that a hair loss cure or even new and revolutionary hair loss treatments based on these procedures are unlikely to become available within the next 8 to 10 years.

HOPE IS LOST !!!!!!

We put a man on the moon in less than 10 years. World travel has changed the dynamic in medical treatment. The U.S. may be bound to these type of time consrtictions, but some other countries, not so much. I would not say that hope is lost, but I really could see another country breaking ground and offering this to patients first. I hope that we are talking in the 5 year range, but it could be another 10.

However, just in the past 3 years, FUE has really gotten much better and I feel that the industry is still in a growth phase, so it is always getting better IMO.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Syban,

You're correct in saying that no treatment has entered phase III trials. Follica took their wounding protocol through phase 2A and 2B testing, but it seems like they have no plans to enter phase III. Replicel finished phase I testing 1-2 years ago and they seem intent on moving forward with additional testing in Japan. The Japanese government just passed legislation shortening the time required for regenerative medicine clinical trials, so they may be able to move to a commercial product quicker. However, most hair loss sufferers seemed underwhelmed with their phase I efficacy results (though, to be fair, phase I is a safety trial).

Many other researchers in Europe, China, Taiwan, and Japan are researching dermal papilla stem cell culturing; this technology will be paramount in hair multiplication techniques. However, recent news from the World Congress for Hair Research demonstrates that these groups are likely 3-4 years away from starting clinical trials. Because clearance after clinical trials usually takes 6-8 years (in the US), it is likely that using these applications in hair multiplication techniques is still 9-12 years away.

What's more, Dr. Aaron Gardner from Dr. Jahoda's research team recently created an account to answer questions on another online hair loss forum, and his information has been extremely enlightening. However, he explained that much more research is needed and wasn't able to speculate on when these applications could be used in a commercial treatment.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for initiating this tread, crafter. Although not such an uncommon sentiment, syban's "DoomsDay" post might be a little premature. There's some good science out there already. In my opinion, it's a matter of taking those well-structured studies and applying them to our field in the way they'll benefit patients most. I just posted an article on Twitter. That was quite an undertaking! I haven't figured out how to share that link yet, but you're welcome to check it out there or simply type it into your URL.

HTN_TwitterPost08062014.jpg

dr wesley,

there is very solid science behind this technique, also the experiment or the trial above

done with the tools of regular fue (which achieve 80% survival rate for the grafts)

but with tools of piloscopy we might get 90% survival rate for both upper and lower

parts of the follicles

the disadvantage is the hair regenerated from bisected follicles is thinner than the

original hair (75% of the caliber of the donor hair) , that's why dr mwamba think

that growth factors would solve this issue