Meeting Dr. True for consultation tomorrow

buster24

Hi group,

I am meeting Dr. True tomorrow in NYC for a consultation. I have been agonizing over my receding hair line the past few years and figured it's time to do something (one month from my 27th bday).

I am new to this network so please check out my profile and feel free to provide any suggestions, recommendations, support, or otherwise informative comments.

Thank you all,

buster

Buster,

Good luck! Dr. True is excellent, and I think the consultation will go very well! Please, keep us updated.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I am new to this network so please check out my profile and feel free to provide any suggestions, recommendations, support, or otherwise informative comments.

Hello buster24. After reading your bio and statement about meds be sure and ask Dr. True his opinion about Propecia. Most patients do not suffer any long term side effects from taking Propecia and it is an important factor in keeping what hair you've got.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Hi again,

So I actually met with Dr. Dorin and I was very pleased with how the consultation went. Peter greeted me prior to DR. Dorin and they were both great.

During the consultation, Dorin said the transplanted hair would be about 30-40 hairs per centimeter whereas the norm is about 80, and on my sides he said I'm closer to 100. Would this look weird? Or would the transplanted hair have a thick / full body to it? He did mention that I would most likely have a follow up procedure done.

After the consultation it was estimated that they would need roughly 2,000 - 2,200 FU's to put back the frontal hair that I've lost.

My question to you all is: what is the typical charge per FU?

Without saying how much the estimate was, it is a little out of my price range and although they partner with companies that will assist with financing, I can't afford to add to my student loan debt. What concerned me is that he said I would most likely need to come back for more work down the road. Is this normal? Is this usually included in the initial cost? Or is it an additional charge?

Thank you all for your help and support going forward.

B

Edited by buster24

honestly if you are open to motorized punches and are on a tight budget you should go to Dr. Bhatti in Chandigarh, india. He is like a buck a graft or something. Even with the hotel and transport it would be so much cheaper.

I do not represent him, but appreciate the void he fills in the marketplace for high quality surgeons at extremely affordable prices.

My alarm bells are ringing:

• Difficulty financing a HT.
  • Minor to moderate hairloss with more loss potentially on the cards.
  • Still in 20s.
  • Unwilling to use Propecia

In many respects I think you would be better waiting, saving up and having a bigger session in a few years time. The last thing you want to do is have a small session now and then need another in 2 years, then another session 2 years after that.

It ends up being more expensive and who wants to go through the whole ordeal 3 times?

..but if you get on Propecia and it works for you then it will buy you a lot of time and delay the second session until later in life when you're more likely to be able to afford it.

Not sure about the rates in NYC. I believe they are higher than most. Maybe $5-7 a graft(?). 2000 grafts is going to be about $10,000 strip or $20,000 FUE.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Regarding the second procedure... YES it will be additional $$$, not included in the first proceudure's pricing. 30-40 grafts per sq. cm will give you an acceptable look but it will look thin in certain lighting. The misconception that a hair transplant will replace what you lost is not 100% accurate. At least he told you that you will most likely want/ need another pass. Lot to think about, but I wouldn't do anything until you are financially able to accomplish the goal you want.