Transplanted hair in one temple thinning/shedding 7 months after original transplant

Hey People

So I got a HT with a well known Doc around 8 months ago, both temples filled in nicely but recently I've noticed one of the temples with transplanted hairs is becoming alot thinner, the transplanted hairs are shedding?. The temple that is thinning/shedding the transplanted hairs was the STRONGER temple pre transplant.

Has anyone heard of transplanted hairs shedding 7 months after a transplant?!

Thanks anyone

ROCKROCKROCK

Hi Rock,

Many times, when patients believe the results of a hair transplant procedure are thinning at a date far beyond the surgery, it is due to continued thinning in the native hairs. Are you taking any preventive medications? What was your natural density like in the temples before transplantation?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Blake, bit confused surely any thining of 'native hair' would make the hair transplant appear better? I've been taking meds for a long long time :D

Transplanted hair was into a area of the temples which was was quite pretty empty. So I'm pretty sure that the transplant hair is thinning/shedding. Although I'm not seeing a increase of hairs shed when having a shower.

Thankyou!

RockRockRock

Rock,

While shedding of the native hair would make the transplanted hair more apparent, it would still result in an overall thinner appearance in the temple region. If I had to guess, I would say that this is what's likely happening. Also, any changes in medications recently?

Unless the hair was taken outside of the universal donor region (or at the very fringes of the donor region), it really shouldn't shed. Remember, it really takes a full 12 months to see the results of a hair transplant procedure as well. However, it seems like this is maybe something you should discuss with your hair transplant surgeon? Perhaps you can make an brief appointment and go see him/her?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.