Is my transplanted hair getting thinner!?!?!

I'm at the 2 year mark on my HT. Last year I grew my hair out for 3 months and my transplanted hair covered my scalp pretty good, you could barely see through to skin. I have pics of this including my drivers license photo. Over this past summer I buzzed my hair down due to the heat outside. I've been growing the hair out, uncut since the end of august. And my transplanted area looks thin. I can completely see thru. I look like a guy going bald (again). I'm kinda worried but will continue to let it grow out for a few more weeks.

Could it be possible that 'something' happened and a lot of my transplanted area/donor follicles have died? There are parts now that are completely thin and almost bald again.

Think about what happens when you transplant hair. Once the hair is transplanted they all go into telogen and fall out before they eventually grow back. This is the growth cycle resetting so once they all come in they are on the same growth cycle and grow quite well. However, it is possible, and in my opinion quite probable, that the hairs that are transplanted return to their normal growth cycles. This means that fewer hairs will be growing at the same time thus giving you a thinner overall appearance.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

It can happen for many reasons including that mentioned by Jo.

Some here have thinned out on Nizoral also.

Check with your doctor, if it's nothing major should grow back.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I agree with Joe. Just the nature of hair cycles will eventually put a transplant at about 10 percent thinner eventually after you peak at 12 to 18 months. It is not that you are losing hair, its just that it is entering its natural cycle. Also, transplants do nothing for your natural hair, so depending on your age and stage and speed of loss, you could just be losing native hair too.

To better answer your questions, you would need to post a pre-op, post op, and current photo, but your physician is always the best place to start.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Also like to chime in that overall 'hair health' factors in. Meaning, I'm dealing with a few endocrine/medical issues and there are days where my hair both HT, and original seem dead, thin, wispy etc.. those days I feel like the HT was a waste. Than I'll have days where for whatever reason, luster returns, my hair will form locks and my Ht looks great. Keeping the body & hair duo healthy can have an effect on all your hair.