Query on donor

Looks like you have pretty killer donor. Looks like good caliber and good density, plus, you appear to headed towards a salt and pepper look, which is good also. You have more loss in the crown than I do, but as far as donor goes, I would trade you.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Looks like you have pretty killer donor. Looks like good caliber and good density, plus, you appear to headed towards a salt and pepper look, which is good also. You have more loss in the crown than I do, but as far as donor goes, I would trade you.

Thanks Spanker - that makes me feel a whole lot better.

Hairloss is a pisser. Screws up your daily life.

Hopefully with what you said about my donor area, Dr Rahal will be able to cheer me up.

Wish me luck.

Will post pictures when its done.

Looking forward to seeing some pics, please follow up!

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree with Spanker: Looks like you have a solid donor region.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Welcome to the forum FC. On the surface, your donor looks dense from the photo however only a microscopic examination and actual density calculation will provide you more exact numbers.

You appear to have a viable donor region on the surface and yet I see something that I highly recommend that your doctor evaluate.

What I am seeing is some light retro-alopecia (thinning) from the neck working its way upward towards the donor zone. From my observations over the years approximately 10 -15% of all men have this situation.

It would be prudent on your part to look at any available older men beyond age 50 on either side of your family history to see if any of them are experiencing thinning in this area.

The implication is that some of that zone may be DHT receptive and more difficult to see the thinning at younger age.

It may be nothing and probably not what you wanted to hear, but you owe it to yourself to have that area evaluated for miniaturization.

Best wishes to you...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks Spanker - that makes me feel a whole lot better.

Hairloss is a pisser. Screws up your daily life.

Hopefully with what you said about my donor area, Dr Rahal will be able to cheer me up.

Wish me luck.

Will post pictures when its done.

Best of luck with it.

Even with low density it is not the end of the world. Here is a picture of the back of my head. Do you think this is low or high density?

back.jpg.8ed7d7fd30a0c8d1591f6d5d3b1af835.jpg

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Welcome to the forum FC. On the surface, your donor looks dense from the photo however only a microscopic examination and actual density calculation will provide you more exact numbers.

You appear to have a viable donor region on the surface and yet I see something that I highly recommend that your doctor evaluate.

What I am seeing is some light retro-alopecia (thinning) from the neck working its way upward towards the donor zone. From my observations over the years approximately 10 -15% of all men have this situation.

It would be prudent on your part to look at any available older men beyond age 50 on either side of your family history to see if any of them are experiencing thinning in this area.

The implication is that some of that zone may be DHT receptive and more difficult to see the thinning at younger age.

It may be nothing and probably not what you wanted to hear, but you owe it to yourself to have that area evaluated for miniaturization.

Best wishes to you...;)

Thanks Gillenator.

My dad suffers from MPB but even at 60 he has some hair left on the top.

Re the back, he doesnt have any thinning at all on the area you mentioned.

On my mum's side, one of my uncle's has a fulll head of hair whilst the other has diffuse thinning on the top.

Both have very thick hair and no thinning in the donor area.

I am 39 by the way.

See attached picks of my hair loss.

I am propecia. I was previously on propecia and it worked really well for me as it filled some of hairline and thickened the existing hair.

I am hoping it at least stops any further progression this time round.

IMG_20131107_075245.jpg.0834d5852672b2a7933acb7510841f5e.jpg

You are sitting pretty nice for 39. You doing fue or fut?

View Spanker's Website

Your donor looks really good. I agree with Spanker but I don't think you have retro alopecia.

1978Matt,

Your donor looks good too, fairly dense, at least average at worst.

Surprisingly I'm less than 1.8 hairs per FU, with average FU spacing.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

You are sitting pretty nice for 39. You doing fue or fut?

FUT to create a realistic hairline mainly because of the difference in yield between FUT and FUE.

Having said that I know the FUE yields are now catching up to FUT especially in the hands of experienced FUE surgeons like Bissanga, Lorenzo and Feller. I may add Rahal to that list once he has been doing it for years although knowing the type of guy Rahal is, he would not take on something if he felt he could not achieve the results needed.

Surprisingly I'm less than 1.8 hairs per FU, with average FU spacing.

Your hair type looks slightly more coarse and yet it also seems about average. The grouping size would suggest it is slightly more coarse but the spacing is what I was referring to with my density comment.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

FC,

You are welcome my friend. Your overall hair quality appears good yet only an in person examination will tell all.

And although your pics show some signs of retro-alopecia, that's another thing that an in-person exam will assess for you.

Wishing you the best! ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I think your donor will be plenty to accomplish a great HT! Especially since you seem to have a pretty strong mid-scalp and forelock region - you're mainly only trying to fill in those big receded temples on either side of your widow's peak - much like mine. I have high hopes for ya - keep us in the loop!