Am I destined for advanced hair loss?

ddd2050

Hello,

I've attached some pictures to get your guys take on how bad you think my hair loss will be (I know it is an educated guess at best). Just a little family history: my mother's side from her father and mother's side has no one with any advanced hair loss, but mom herself has a little bit of hairline recession, but idk how it works with women...but she does have a large forehead. My dad is a Norwood IV I believe, with a hair loss mostly on the front and crown thinning at 58. He's told me his crown has thinned but you wouldn't be able to tell unless you looked up close. Looking through most of his pictures from his 30's and 40's, the hair loss has mostly been on his front. He took no medications and looked decent for his age in his 30's, 40, and now. Its just his hairline/ front that took the major hit. His father has my type of hair texture and he has virtually no hair loss in his 70's. Everyone on my dad's fathers side has pretty much no hair loss. But, my paternal grandmother's relatives have had significant hair loss (I don't know the extent, but from what my dad told me they we were "baldies"). I'm guessing my father fell kind of in the middle with hair not as good as his dad's but not as bad as those from his mothers side. I hope I end up in the middle as well :confused:. I pretty much know at this point I'm not not going to be free of hair loss like my mother's side, but year opinions plz.... :)

When my hair loss started it is thinning I noticed first. As you can see from the pictures my head is pretty much see through when I grow it out from the damn thinning (the hair on my left side is thicker and stronger than my right...is that normal!? mpb; on my hairline the right has receded more than the left...its pretty ridiculous). Then came the receding on the corners. Are the thinning areas a sign of places to go....because if they are, I might as well shave my head now :mad:

DSC00821.jpg.2ffe8837bfa2e373ef8f40458968f5c2.jpg

DSC00820.jpg.a660ba07b3c11c274cf6d1e2f5a9ca4e.jpg

DSC00815.jpg.25b305b62985c6deca33922351924fc5.jpg

DSC00814.jpg.add3dd00c581b4965aa1fa832ec83798.jpg

DSC00811.jpg.d2e1cfef5c5122ae4e376177ea67565a.jpg

DSC00806.jpg.3672c318d40b7e0b83dbc1d8d294df6e.jpg

DSC00805.jpg.acd8ee77dd7c7307535cb705287e8ff1.jpg

DSC00800.jpg.4dd706d8f1598cc0e37f838f38bb6bf0.jpg

DSC00793.jpg.18a32d3d8e8b0d8ed6698af891424313.jpg

DSC00792.jpg.a93c93940038e4205d9f79f45859d242.jpg

DSC00791.jpg.e73470968f5bfd10a90921251e88857c.jpg

Hi Ddd,

Very difficult to tell based on those images alone. The frontal scalp and hairline does look a bit thinner than the rest. However, it is hard to tell whether or not you have thinning in the vertex and temples, or if it is just your hair characteristics. Frankly, you need to see a hair loss physician and undergo a miniaturization analysis. This evaluation will help demonstrate whether or not you're suffering from androgenic alopecia. Predicting your eventual pattern is much more difficult; if not impossible. It is likely best to have your scalp evaluated and, if you are suffering from male pattern hair loss, start preventive treatments (as long as the physician who evaluated your scalp believes it is appropriate).

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Ddd,

Very difficult to tell based on those images alone. The frontal scalp and hairline does look a bit thinner than the rest. However, it is hard to tell whether or not you have thinning in the vertex and temples, or if it is just your hair characteristics. Frankly, you need to see a hair loss physician and undergo a miniaturization analysis. This evaluation will help demonstrate whether or not you're suffering from androgenic alopecia. Predicting your eventual pattern is much more difficult; if not impossible. It is likely best to have your scalp evaluated and, if you are suffering from male pattern hair loss, start preventive treatments (as long as the physician who evaluated your scalp believes it is appropriate).

Are there any physicians in the San Diego area that offer that service? If so what is the charge?

Based on what you've seen, does it appear to be MPB or is it to difficult to tell?

Hi Ddd,

Yes, in San Diego we recommend:

Dr. Carman

Dr. DeYarman

You'll have to contact their respective offices to discuss fees.

Again, it is difficult to tell. Androgenic alopecia (male pattern hair loss) is most likely, but it can really only be verified by a physician-performed scalp evaluation.

Hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.