HT With Dr. Cooley

KeithJagger

Hello,

I am new to this forum, although I have been reading the posts for years. I am really hoping that someone can provide me with some guidance.

I am 31 years old. I have always had a high hairline but was told I have "luscious" hair throughout college and my mid-twenties. It was awesome hair! I wore it really shaggy and girls loved it.

My hair is very soft and there is a lot of it in the midsection and back. But like most guys, over the last few years I have seen my temples recede. I am told I am somewhere between a NW 2-3.

Fortunately, I still have a lot of hair (blonde) in the back and in the middle. I have always combed my hair forward, so the extent of recession is not completely visible. Although, it is clear that I have receding hairline as I had to get a shorter haircut for work.

I have scheduled 2,500 graphs with Dr. Cooley in March. I have been researching HT transplants for years and believe I have chosen a great surgeon.

However, during my research I have also come across so many horror stories. And not just from the 90s, but recently.

The thing is my hair isn't bad enough that it bothers me too much, and I am OK with the status quo. Obviously I would like to fill in my temples, but not if it means that people are going to know that I had a hair transplant. I also don't like the idea of scarring (not so much worred about the back) but in the front. I have heard that there will always be little red bumps.

Could someone please provide some guidance? Is a HT really worth it? Not in terms of money, but results. Should I just keep what I have now (I am on propecia) and forego the transplant? Or have I chosen a good surgeon and my results will be worth it?

Thank you very much!

Dr. Cooley does fantastic work. That being said, some pictures are necessary to get a better feel for your situation as well as family history.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I was in a very similar situation and had 2,000 grafts placed in my hairline by Dr. Rahal. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Results and expectations can vary of course. Without seeing any pictures, it's hard to tell you more. You should be able to gauge for yourself though by looking at lots of pics and blogs.

Also, Dr. Cooley doesn't require shaving down the recipient area, so if your hair is somewhat long no one should be able to tell you had any work done. Over the next year the growth will slowly come in -- it won't be a quick change that anyone will notice. There probably will be pimples sprouting where new follicles are popping out, but it's temporary. not noticeable to others, and goes away. Re: any "nightmare" stories, I think those only come from doctors far below Dr. Cooley's ilk. He's one of the best.

Here are some photos. My hair in the back of my head is pretty dense and there is a lot of it. My hair is very fine though so I imagine it will take more graphs than someone with thicker hair. Right now I have 2,500 graphs scheduled. Dr. Cooley said he feels that is enough, but we can decide later on if want to go up 500 more or so. I just don't want to overdo it in case I need some more donor hair in the future.

5b32dba841170_Photoon11-11-13at11.25PM2.jpg.2739e4ac778df04dd7289bb3af2165dc.jpg

5b32dba85443a_Photoon11-11-13at11_25PM.jpg.876d5c4e78371c48ebd5e2bcb378046b.jpg

5b32dba869e50_Photoon11-11-13at11.24PM3.jpg.93d35aab6a571e46a0daac4df0ac2b79.jpg

5b32dba881c59_Photoon11-11-13at11.24PM2.jpg.85cd4c36587f7e83dc2c8bc4197f53b7.jpg

5b32dba88e062_Photoon11-11-13at11_24PM.jpg.c8d73f094d7ad0b1b8eff71391f99a0a.jpg

Nice -- it looks like you have a strong head of hair overall and could just use some work in the temples. I think if you go to one of the recommended doc's on this site you will definitely notice a stronger hairline and will get the temples pulled in. Most of the 2,000 grafts I had placed were in the temples and I'm very happy with the improvement. I think Dr. Cooley is one of the best I've seen on this site.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a hair transplant done with Dr Cooley. The experience was amazing..Results of course will not be visible for another 3-6 months.. But Dr Cooley and his staff are very professional. You are in good hands. He is very meticulous.

I had a little more hair than you in the front (but it was a diffused thinning in the front inch and in the temples.) I was able to conceal my ht and took one week off. If you grow your bangs enough, you should be good.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

No, it was never detectable during normal conditions. I got a hair cut at 2 months and you could not see it, I think it was about an inch long in the back after the cut.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

KeithJagger.. its been exactly 7 days... I took off for 5 days.. I grew my hair out some.. as encouraged by Dr Cooley to 'camouflage' the transplanted grafts. I have 'brown' skin ( I am Indian).. so there was not a lot of redness in the recipient areas.