Comments welcome: 20 months post-op

harryforreal

Are you happy with the results? Do you have any before pictures? Who was the doctor and how many grafts did you receive?

It doesn't look very good. Very unnatural in my opinion, I wouldn't be happy with this result.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

do you have any before pictures? 1050 grafts is not a lot of grafts especially in that area. It does appear that most of the grafts grew since its easy to distinguish the difference between grafts and natural hair because I don't think it looks that natural.. Since you are at 20 months is it possible that you lost existing hair between the grafts? Did they doctor tell you all you need was 1050 or was that all you could afford?

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

Hi Harry,

I just sent you a private message.

Also, in general:

For the sake of this discussion, I did want to note that you have been in contact with your doctor and you are both working toward resolving the issue. Also, if the discussion does become a bit controversial or inflammatory, I will contact the physician in question and give the doctor a chance to address the concerns. We believe this helps maintain an open and honest discussion forum.

Thanks

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I understand, I do not want to make things inflammatory. I just felt I needed to get others' opinions as I feel isolated, and so wanted input on my outcome from the community and others who have much more experience than me.

Thank you, Blake!

Hi Harry,

Absolutely!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

It looks like they either underestimated the amount of grafts needed to lower your hairline or you didn't get the growth rate that was expected. I think you will need another pass to get where you want to be. The good news is that it just looks sparse and not unnatural.

Stinger99: There are numerous 2's in the hairline, and some larger grafts a little further in, so, yes, it does look pluggy. I would rather not identify the doctor at this point and time as I am trying to work towards an aesthetically pleasing outcome and the doctor has offered to provide an additional 300-400 grafts at no charge to camouflage the 2's and pluggyness and increase density

Greatjob: the only pre-op pics (as in taken just before surgery) have the clinic's name stamped on them. I have uploaded these pre-op pics, and strategically placed a WORD document over the name.

StaggerLee123: I feel the same: underestimated or lower yield than expected - or both maybe. I personally question if the hairline needed to be "lowered" to it's present place. I'm a bit concerned about the harshness of the hairs on my left side where there are quite a few doubles - it doesn't match my temples and such at all in color, density, or angles it seems.

Is it the general consensus of you guys that it just needs more density? What about the angles of the hair? How can I make it look softer? Density can always be added, of course, but achieving a soft and natural look is a primary concern, especially if there are problems with the existing hairline. The hairs in the front seem to stick up straight up/slightly back in a very unnatural way - but maybe additional density would make this is a non-issue? Also I worry about the appearance of the base of the grafts - native hair that normally exits at the front of the hairline is so soft that the skin that it comes out of is very smooth. But where these hairs exit it looks kind of like chicken skin (when you pluck the feathers) if looking from above - it's hard to capture this texture in a photo. The doctor said this is due to the thicker hair shafts.

Thanks you guys for your input! :)

5b32db9529275_Picture70.png.f2210c83e89717814dec40dee55a2e8f.png

5b32db9546a0b_Picture71.png.908997207304066323a6a811a3b04aa9.png

5b32db955fd59_Picture72.png.c362093678f16717f2820590c81605e5.png

5b32db9582138_Picture73.png.c34de42c828d35b363e6ed0a116bdf85.png

5b32db95a5386_Picture74.png.fa82e8463c5ebbfae200c87dfaf5b26c.png

Do you have any immediate post-op photos to show us. The final result is not good at all... I see multi-hair grafts and a low yield...

harryforreal,

from the pics you have posted, your recipient area looks red in places. Have you had this redness since your procedure 20 months ago, or is this redness/blotchiness something that has appeared recently?

thx for your response., if the doc does fix the problem it would be nice if you could advise who the doc was, this way we can know that the doctor can be trusted, that the doctor stands by his work and that the doctor offers to fix issues at no chare should result not be satisfactory. this after sale service is very critical when picking a surgeon

I am not impressed with the work as it appears to be a high number of 2's in the hairline. As far as density, that amount of grafts will not do much in lowering a hairline.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree with others that this doesn't look very good. However my question to you is if you are on finasteride or not. I ask this because I put your pre-op and post-op photos side by side (it always makes it easier to evaluate a result):

Picture73_zpscc070f97.png

It looks to me like you may have lost some of your native hair since the pre-op pictures were taken. That slight widows peak looks like it has disappeared along with maybe some density behind the transplanted hair. Now it could be that the widows peak is gone because the doc planted on either side of it so it's not gone just hidden now. If you have any immediate post-op pics that would clear that up. I'm not trying to make up excuses or anything, just trying to help you figure out what's going on. You almost look like you had more hair pre-op, which usually means further loss or permanent shockloss. What do the rest of you guys think?

Also I'm not entirely sure 300-400 grafts is going to make much of a difference.

Naturalness is everything. I would suggest going to a different doctor with a flare for natural looking hairlines. I dont think its worth the chance to go back to the same doc for 300-400 grafts. Find someone who treats hairlines like art.

just my 2 cents.

Also I'm not entirely sure 300-400 grafts is going to make much of a difference.

I tend to agree.

Bunnyman: from the pics you have posted, your recipient area looks red in places. Have you had this redness since your procedure 20 months ago, or is this redness/blotchiness something that has appeared recently?

I have had the redness since the procedure, almost 21 months now. In August the doctor injected a steroid shot of kenalog to reduce the redness, and that has helped some, but, yes, there is still redness and it is just one more disappointment. The doctor believes that the redness is from very tiny particles of cotton that got on the implanting needle since the pens were laid on cotton pads. He said that I am the only patient to have such a prolonged redness, and that since then they no longer place the pens on cotton pads.

Spanker: I am not impressed with the work as it appears to be a high number of 2's in the hairline. As far as density, that amount of grafts will not do much in lowering a hairline.

Yes, Spanker, there are a high number of 2's in the hairline. It took me a long time to figure out that this was not standard medical practice and contributed to a very unnatural and harsh look. The 2's are actually a greater concern to me than the lack of density. Density can always be added, but I worry about the ability to create a soft hairline by camouflaging it with 1's, and how much lower the hairline would have to go to camouflage it.

The doctor suggested the 2's could be punched out, but that it would probably be better to leave them in to add density. Density simply for density's sake is not my goal, though, a soft hairline is, so I AM CURIOUS IF OTHERS FEEL CAMOUFLAGING IS THE BEST WAY TO GO OR PUNCHING OUT?

Greatjob: I agree with others that this doesn't look very good. However my question to you is if you are on finasteride or not. I ask this because I put your pre-op and post-op photos side by side (it always makes it easier to evaluate a result):

It looks to me like you may have lost some of your native hair since the pre-op pictures were taken. That slight widows peak looks like it has disappeared along with maybe some density behind the transplanted hair. Now it could be that the widows peak is gone because the doc planted on either side of it so it's not gone just hidden now. If you have any immediate post-op pics that would clear that up. I'm not trying to make up excuses or anything, just trying to help you figure out what's going on. You almost look like you had more hair pre-op, which usually means further loss or permanent shockloss. What do the rest of you guys think?

Hi, Greatjob,

At the time of my initial consult (and later surgery), the doctor felt I would not loose any more hair and said there was no need for me to be on medication (I specifically was interested in Propecia). He said that Propecia would not make any improvement on my hair loss in the hairline, and that only surgery could improve the appearance, at which time he suggested lowering the hairline 1/2 or 1 cm and advised 1000 grafts. He also said that Propecia had about a 9 month "claw back" affect and if I did loose more I could get on Propecia and it would come back probably.

Maybe about 7 months after the surgery I was very concerned that the outcome would be poor - it was so pluggy and sparse, so I asked the doctor to please give me a prescription for Propecia/Generic Finasteride in an effort to maybe encourage some of the hairs before the surgery to thicken up and grow out, possibly even affect some dormant hairs to come back, in an effort to add density.

The transplanted hair line went to the bottom or even below the widow's peak - it has been completely absorbed within the transplanted hair, and I can see those native hairs now when I look in the mirror. Still, I've made a photo with a word document covering the name of the clinic so you can see how it looked immediately post-op. I've also include a close up immediately post-op and in that you can see the shave hairs of the widow's peak which you comment on.

Yes, the consensus seems to be that I need quite a bit more than 300-400.

I want to know, however, how to get rid of that dark, ugly harsh hair look - almost looking like stitches on my left side - and if the hair standing up from the center to the left of center is unnatural. Would adding density make the hair standing up seem natural if the density were thick enough (like a big curl at the front of my head)? Now it looks very weird because I can see into the hairline so far since the hair doesn't lay down in the front.

5b32db9a0bf6b_Picture77.jpg.c5ec30cb3dcb495eef3c6c20f1787919.jpg

5b32db9a185ea_Picture75.jpg.06017a32deae59435043f8bbe861b511.jpg

Ok thanks for the immediate post-op pictures, it does look like the hairline was placed at or in front of that widows peak kind of thing. Well regardless if you lost more hair or not that is on the doc then, I can't believe a recommended doctor here would advise against finasteride. I personally don't believe a person is a candidate for surgery if they are unwilling or unable to take fin for the long hall, with very few exceptions. You have a ton of hair to hang on to and I would be really interested to hear how the doctor claims to know you won't lose anymore hair. Does he have a crystal ball?