Fue extractions from side of head

Hi all,

As my donor area is pretty much depleted, I am wondering whether any doctors would consider extractions from the side of my head (outside if the safe area)

I have seen a few cases on here where its been done, so know its a possibility. What do doctors take into consideration? Would they prepared to do at the patients request/risk?

I dont have a thick donor supply by any means , but appear to be following in the same path as my father, who at 66 still has enough hair at the back and sides. As I am 40 years old I dont think its a huge risk.

if I can get 500 per side with bht still available, I think I can be pretty much sorted.

I would appreciate any comments and advice

Thanks

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

HT No2 : Marwan Saifi 1680 grafts. Great result

HT No3 - Marwan Saifi 1250 grafts. Another good result.

HT No4 - Hakan Doganay 2134 grafts. Result TBA

Total 5134 grafts.

Hi all,

As my donor area is pretty much depleted, I am wondering whether any doctors would consider extractions from the side of my head (outside if the safe area)

I have seen a few cases on here where its been done, so know its a possibility. What do doctors take into consideration? Would they prepared to do at the patients request/risk?

I dont have a thick donor supply by any means , but appear to be following in the same path as my father, who at 66 still has enough hair at the back and sides. As I am 40 years old I dont think its a huge risk.

if I can get 500 per side with bht still available, I think I can be pretty much sorted.

I would appreciate any comments and advice

Thanks

You yourself know the answer. If it is outside the safe donor, it's your call. Docs are there for business - an ethical surgeon will let you know that the results will be sub standard but he shall do it if you insist upon it. Go for consultation, may be your body hair grafts are sufficient.

First of all yes the sides and lateral humps can bear some terminal hair that is non receptive to DHT. It is more of the parietal regions of the scalp however this can be tricky. We see older men all of the time including your relatives that lose all of their hair on the top but not the sides or the occipital zone.

The surgeon should IMHO examine these potential donor zones with a high powered scalp to see if there are any signs of miniaturization. If there is evidence of DHT receptive hair in those areas, then it should never be considered for transplantation.

If there is terminal hair in these regions then only FUE should be used to extract those FUs.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks Gillenator

A wealth of knowledge as always.

Do you think any ethical surgeon would do even if there is slight minaturization and I have given the ok.?? I would rather have hair on top of my hair than the sides, even if it were only to last 5-10 years, providing it would last the HT process of course.

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

Total 5134 grafts.

It sounds like you know the risks and are willing to take the chance that the results may be sub optimal or may not last a lifetime. These areas would still need to be evaluated to determine if the is 500 follicular units per side.

I agree with Dr. Charles. And a reputable surgeon like him would be able to examine those areas of limited donor sources and advise you if it can be potentially considered.

Everyone has different goals and expectations. If the doctor concludes that the proposed donor hair is DHT receptive, overall hair quality can still be determined with microscopic examination. These hair shafts can be compared to the hair shaft diameter of any terminal hair to note differences in the degree of diffusion.

But as Dr. Charles stated, there are both risks and benefits in the equation as long as you understand them. Hard to say how long that hair would stay but from my past observations, the better the hair quality (caliber), the longer it will last.

Many of us, if not all of us hair loss sufferers would like things to be more exact and predictable, but we live in a subjective world and why research is so important in knowing our options.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks very much Dr Charles & Gillenator

Total 5134 grafts.