how many strips can you get

Well, I've had six (four with Dr. Wong), seven if you count a small scar revision test done several years ago. I think Spex has had ten. I know one guy that had 16 or so but they were tiny strips of a few hundred grafts each back in the 80's and 90's.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I have had 5 (2 with Dr Hasson) or 6 if you include a scar revision which Dr Hasson did also in 2010.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I think I hold the record.

20 strips + 5 scalp reductions + over 180 mini reductions (5mm punches removed and sewn together to eliminate space between grafts). These were all done from 1989 to 1994.

... and I still need a lot of work done to get anything near resembling a half decent head of hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I had one done so far... my doc (Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles) told me that with my medium scalp laxity and very good donor density I can have about 3-4. On the first, I did not do much scalp exercises but he said for the next ones it is important that I do. The more scalp exercises you do to prepare for surgery (as xtatic said above), the better you optimize the amount of donor area that can be removed. So I think the important considerations are scalp laxity and density, as well as good technique (ie. skilled surgeon) so they don't waste anything. Dr Mohebi said that wasting even a single hair is considered a sin in hair restoration.. so as far as I see it, those 3 considerations are crucial for determining the # of strip procedures.

Edited by Paulygon

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

I think I hold the record.

20 strips + 5 scalp reductions + over 180 mini reductions (5mm punches removed and sewn together to eliminate space between grafts). These were all done from 1989 to 1994.

... and I still need a lot of work done to get anything near resembling a half decent head of hair.

Wow, you take the record hands down. I have conversed with many guys over the years, some who had multiple strips and scalp reductions from thirty plus years ago.

You are a trooper and wish you the best on your journey....;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

when a person maxes out the # of strip procedures (FUT) available to him, he can start doing FUE's (follicular unit extraction). So an individual shouldn't feel totally limited by the fact that he/she can only have a finite # of strips removed (before the scalp tightens up to its max amount). You can start moving around individual hair follicles at that time by method of FUE. It is more expensive but an option. Your scalp is your canvas, essentially, for the rest of your life!

just some thoughts--

The only downside is that FUE is significantly more expensive and you wouldn't be getting as many hairs transplanted for your money. The plus side to FUE is that its an easier surgery and minimal scarring, as it is less invasive.

So for example, in my case, I would do the 3-4 strip procedures I discussed with Dr Mohebi, and then if I continue to need more work, I can start doing FUE (my scalp tightens too much). (Hopefully by the time I need FUE I'd be making more money and can afford the procedure more easily anyway, haha).

Edited by Paulygon

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.