Transplant: Try to hide it or not?

Have a upcoming procedure and want to know should I play it off and deny I've had the procedure?

I'm NW3A and been buzzing my hair short for past few years. I'm having FUE. Taking 10 days off from work after procedure.

Some would say be open about it and therefore nothing to hide.

I want to conceal the fact I've had a procedure, but I might be questioned about it if anyone notices redness or HAIR in the temples when I was very thin prior to my time off. I don't want to out and out lie to someone about it if they were to ask...

I wanted FUE, mainly for the fact that I don't want to be self-conscious about hiding a "scar", in a similar way I have been self conscious about attempting to mask hair loss in the past.

Something about coming clean about it to whoever ask seems liberating.

Thoughts? When you got your transplant did you try to conceal it or just be matter of fact about it? Would you handle it differently if you had it to do over again?

Have a upcoming procedure and want to know should I play it off and deny I've had the procedure?

I'm NW3A and been buzzing my hair short for past few years. I'm having FUE. Taking 10 days off from work after procedure.

Some would say be open about it and therefore nothing to hide.

I want to conceal the fact I've had a procedure, but I might be questioned about it if anyone notices redness or HAIR in the temples when I was very thin prior to my time off. I don't want to out and out lie to someone about it if they were to ask...

I wanted FUE, mainly for the fact that I don't want to be self-conscious about hiding a "scar", in a similar way I have been self conscious about attempting to mask hair loss in the past.

Something about coming clean about it to whoever ask seems liberating.

Thoughts? When you got your transplant did you try to conceal it or just be matter of fact about it? Would you handle it differently if you had it to do over again?

hey buddy.

very good post, i am in the same position as you.

i just haven't booked my surgery yet.

but as it is now, i will try to hide it afterwards. maybe it is more easy for me because ive been able to get 4 weeks off work. so the redness might not be so clear, and if so i will use some off my girlfriends concealer.

the other thing is that i will try to shave off the hair that hasn't fallen out in the tempels an front hairline (where my HT will be) so there is no sign of new hairs there until they begin to grow slowly.

also use concealer like toppik everyday.

problem for me is that i dont have it buzz cut right now and i am using toppik every day, so it might strange when i come back after 4 weeks with buzz cut and som thin ares and a little redness and stuff.

my plan is then, if someone ask, to tell them that i am using some products that my doctor gave me for my hair because ive been sheddig alot lately.

and that these products is giving me some irritation on the scalp wich is causing the redness

I like johnny2000's idea about a reaction to some type of prescribed shampoo/product. Personally I don't like the idea of telling anyone the truth, only because of the stigma attached to elective surgeries like these. You become "that guy", the weirdo/walking science experiment that people are fascinated with. And of course rumors tend to spread like wildfire.

Hide it....

It is tempting to release the stress by being open, but its fools gold.

If u r "busted" then you can use your wits to minimize it.

If u r "busted" again for attempting to minimize it, minimize that too..and so on..

Rooney is not considered smart. Hollywood stars are not considered fools. They hide it.

FUE helps you hide it.

The redness can be explained as sunburn, but the new hair in the temples giving you a new hairline look might be the only give away. If you really want to pull it off, shave your hair really really short or shave with a razor. Then let it grow to the required length for your procedure. When you return after your procedure, explain any new hair as "oh I just let my hair grow out a little bit" Because you've been sporting the shaven look for a while it will be believable. I know a guy who shaves his head short and you can tell he is balding, but he let it grow out almost an inch and it appeared that he had way more hair. He hadn't had any transplant or anything. Length of hair has a big influence on the appearance of thickness.

95% of people don't even know what's involved in a hair transplant. They don't even know the hair comes from the back of the head (especially FUE method), I think you'll be fine if you try and hide it.

Why not say you started taking Fin or using Regain?

They will be non the wiser as to how much you can actually grow from that, and in a way your not really lying. (If u are on meds that is)

Exactly, like i wrote. If someone ask, i Will just say that my doctor prescribe me a product to rub on head after i showered. And that is Also why i shaved my head, so that the lotion the doc prescribe Can get to the scalp easier.

Exactly, like i wrote. If someone ask, i Will just say that my doctor prescribe me a product to rub on head after i showered. And that is Also why i shaved my head, so that the lotion the doc prescribe Can get to the scalp easier.

Wich Also is why me head is a little red. (Irritation)

Sounds like a good plan Right?

Wich Also is why me head is a little red. (Irritation)

Sounds like a good plan Right?

I would say if you are so worried to try to take more time off from work, it's easy to make plans now but it will all depend on how you heal and how your head will look like when you have to go back to work. The more time the better.

Shaving them all off won't work, fue is not scarless and it's more than likely that after 10 days there will be strong evidence of surgery and redness on the donor area as well. I am sure using razors on a site that is trying to heal is not the best thing to do and it might aggregate the redness.

There is no easy way out here, you have to bite the bullet and think of the final outcome to get you through it all.

I would say if you are so worried to try to take more time off from work, it's easy to make plans now but it will all depend on how you heal and how your head will look like when you have to go back to work. The more time the better.

Shaving them all off won't work, fue is not scarless and it's more than likely that after 10 days there will be strong evidence of surgery and redness on the donor area as well. I am sure using razors on a site that is trying to heal is not the best thing to do and it might aggregate the redness.

There is no easy way out here, you have to bite the bullet and think of the final outcome to get you through it all.

I have bookes 4 weeks off work. So i Will have 26 days to heal after my surgery.

People are going to find out at some point. My advice would be to have the transplant, take a couple of weeks off to heal and then tell people.

You will so feel so much better! You will have the upper hand. They might make some funny jokes so be prepared for that, even better join in with some jokes of your own.

Once they have had their 'fun' they quickly turn to becoming more interested in the procedure and will support you. If they don't they are not your friends.

Trust me, you'll feel great once everyone knows. The choices are;

1. Months of worrying if someone will notice. Making you stressedd and self conscious. Once people find out (they will) you might not be prepared.

2. Have the hope hand. Prepare yourself and tell them.

Option 2 is by far the best and gives you only a few minutes of discomfort. Versus months this with option 1. And you WILL have to tell them at some point. Might as well get it over with.

People are going to find out at some point. My advice would be to have the transplant, take a couple of weeks off to heal and then tell people.

You will so feel so much better! You will have the upper hand. They might make some funny jokes so be prepared for that, even better join in with some jokes of your own.

Once they have had their 'fun' they quickly turn to becoming more interested in the procedure and will support you. If they don't they are not your friends.

Trust me, you'll feel great once everyone knows. The choices are;

1. Months of worrying if someone will notice. Making you stressedd and self conscious. Once people find out (they will) you might not be prepared.

2. Have the hope hand. Prepare yourself and tell them

Option 2 is by far the best and gives you only a few minutes of discomfort. Versus months this with option 1. And you WILL have to tell them at some point. Might as well get it over with.

are you sure about that?

Right now i am using toppik so people dont know i am thinnig

And Also i comb my hair forward to hide the reciding hairline.

If i get a 1500-2000 graft session and use different kind of consealer after

That.

Do you stil Think people would know? People you see Every Day dont

Notice difference when it is happening in such a slow process.

Also it is a FUE, so much less scaring in donor area

are you sure about that?

Right now i am using toppik so people dont know i am thinnig

And Also i comb my hair forward to hide the reciding hairline.

If i get a 1500-2000 graft session and use different kind of consealer after

That.

Do you stil Think people would know? People you see Every Day dont

Notice difference when it is happening in such a slow process.

Also it is a FUE, so much less scaring in donor area

Am I 100% sure? Of course not. Am I 99% sure? Yes, pretty much.

My advice is based on reading other posts on the forum and my own. Of course, I am a nw6 so people so definitely notice me. You're having a much smaller procedure but I still believ people will notice something is different.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I felt a great relief being able to talk about it with my friends and work colleagues.

Hair combed forward is a telltale sign you're reciding. I know since that's what I did when I first started losing it...people may not say anything, but they will know something is up when you suddenly change your hairstyle post op.

Also, when you do FUE you need to buzz your hair...it will then grow unevenly for a few months. Your new hairline will be red and it will grow thin and whispy.

The decision is ultimately yours and only you can make that decision.

Whatever you choose I wish you good luck and well done for taking the step towards a greAt transformation.

I didn't tell anyone, but I'm rather sure some people noticed. But I never confirmed it, and after awhile it was no longer an issue.

From my perspective I think there is some caution needed if you work in a potentially hostile environment.

BTW....anyone know how to create a new thread? I can't seem to find the "new thread/topic" button...

I took 5 weeks off and no one has twigged. Looking back I think anything over 4 weeks will give you the best chance.

10.5 weeks on and not one single HT related comment. Just the odd funny look by colleagues I hadn't seen for 3 or 4 months. I work in a team of 80 staff and a building with 3000 people in it! Of those 3000 I probably 250 know who I am, if you get what I mean.

Grow your hair long before you go on leave, grow a beard while you're off and when you return people will think you've just gone for a change of image.

I think I will openly tell some people in a year's time. What the hell. The only reason I won't now is I don't want to entertain the 'it didn't work then?' type comments. I've no time for that.

You need a bit of luck with the redness and for me it was quite mild.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

The only reason I won't now is I don't want to entertain the 'it didn't work then?' type comments.

Be careful - if it DOES work - because there are types who will resent your success (like me lol!)

They will poop your party if given a chance by saying stuff in front of others like,

"Hey Matt1978, you are looking really good. My uncle wants to get a hair transplant, what do you think?"

or those who have decided not to HT and want to cash in the credits for it..

(Sitting at a work picnic with a group, including attractive young woman)

"Hey Matt1978, (in front of everyone, in a downhome moment) I'm losing it, I've been thinking about a hair transplant (girls feel revulsion) but meh...I dunno...you know... what will everyone say, what can I say..." (pregnant pause)

I can't live in a submarine, but I am sure the wiseman can when it comes to HT.

And finally, you can look good for over ten years and then things can go south quickly.

Edited by scar5
Clearer

Be careful - if it DOES work - because there are types who will resent your success (like me lol!)

He shouldn't be careful,you should be if you put your self in that type group lol. Its envious and pathetic to resent other people success with cheap obvious innuendos like the ones you mentioned. Trust me no one likes people like that.

Guess I will play it by ear. I have been buzzing short for awhile. Even though I am more mild frontal thinning case (NW3A) I still think those who work closely with me daily might notice. If the redness is mild I might use a bit of the wife's concealer and play it off...

I do agree, though if you can get past the first 6mo or so it becomes a non-issue. Anyone asks after that and you'll say you're taking propecia (will be truth for me). ;)

I am 10 weeks post FUE of 2200 grafts and, touch wood, as far as I can see I have 'gotten away with it.

'I was never buzzed in all my 30 years, but since the op I've been sporting the buzzed look. What was important was I spent the first 3 weeks abroad. When I returned people just thought I buzzed my head. I got lots of 'why did you do it' questions but many are now beginning to say the buzz suits me more!

3 weeks post op and I was out on the beer with a big group of friends. They all took the piss about my shaved head, but after the initial few mins they moved onto other things!

Not once has anyone suspected I got a ht, why would they when my recipient area is so sparse right now due to the shedding period. In fact, this is a topic I was thinking of starting myself "Why the slow growth process of a HT is a GOOD thing". I think a HT would be very very obvious if the recipients hairs never shed. I think the gradual growth process allows things to take shape without people suspecting overnight transformations.

Redness etc is something that can give away some work, so post op care is vital here. Worst case scenario, many people have come up with inventive excuses to the redness, from infections, to sunburn, to adverse reaction to other medication etc.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

i am 10 weeks post fue of 2200 grafts and, touch wood, as far as i can see i have 'gotten away with it.

'i was never buzzed in all my 30 years, but since the op i've been sporting the buzzed look. What was important was i spent the first 3 weeks abroad. When i returned people just thought i buzzed my head. I got lots of 'why did you do it' questions but many are now beginning to say the buzz suits me more!

3 weeks post op and i was out on the beer with a big group of friends. They all took the piss about my shaved head, but after the initial few mins they moved onto other things!

Not once has anyone suspected i got a ht, why would they when my recipient area is so sparse right now due to the shedding period. In fact, this is a topic i was thinking of starting myself "why the slow growth process of a ht is a good thing". I think a ht would be very very obvious if the recipients hairs never shed. I think the gradual growth process allows things to take shape without people suspecting overnight transformations.

nice!

• 4 weeks later...

OP here, with my personal experience with it 2wks post op: NO ONE COULD TELL. I was around friends, siblings, and mother after about 8-9 days post op and no one ever said anything or gave me any strange looks.

Why? Glad you asked. Here are the points I that I think making extraordinary efforts to "hide" it largely unnecessary.

In order of importance.

1) No one knows what a HT looks like. Most people think that someone who got a hair transplant is akin to a female with a boob-job. One day they're tiny, the next 'boom!', there's major cleavage. They know what to look for and can tell the difference. With a HT however, most DON'T know what to look for and would probably EXPECT you to be bald/balding one day and 'boom!', next day with a head full of hair like a wig. But that's not how HT's work. The fact is people may notice the scalp or hairline is 'off' somewhat, but they're not sure why and reconcile that difference in their mind as being different length, style, lighting, whatever. HT is simply not on the radar.

2) I got FUE. For me, keeping my hair buzzed short (no guard or 1 guard) for the past 10 years or so for the spring and summer months helped establish that style of haircut, and as such only once per year is my hair seen during the "growing in" phase after the summer in the autumn period. When something is seen so infrequently, it's hard to keep a mental image of that around. Anyone who did notice my scalp/hairline changes probably thought that's just the way it looks when growing in and I was letting it grow in due to it getting colder. You don't have to have this long history of buzzing, though. A no guard buzzed head for just a few months prior to the HT could be enough to acclimate everyone in your circles to your appearance with that cut.

3) I am now in the early shedding period, and the transplanted area is starting to thin out. It is at this time that I feel like it is getting lesser and lesser like I ever had anything done. If you really want to keep it to yourself, do yourself a favor and schedule 3 weeks off. By the time you're going back to work, the shedding of the transplanted hairs will be in full effect and you may look only minimally different than before your procedure.

Just my experience and my $0.02