Can a Not-so-successful First Session affect the Second Session?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of contacting Dr. Pathuri and Dr. Radha in India for my second HT session. I had one in 2011 which was not very successful. I have sent the required images for both of them, but received a response only from Dr. Pathuri. From what I was told by him, the suitability for the second session can only be determined after looking at the existing scar (from first session) and the quality of donor area. In my case, as far as I know, other than the scar, the donor area hair is not affected from the previous session.

I want to get the opinion of you all for couple of things:

1. Can the second session get affected by the existing scar from the first one?

2. In a second FUT session, how do doctors get donor hair? From the scarred area from the first session again, or some other place in the donor area?

I'm 26 years old and from what I have good and healthy hair in the donor area.

I'm a little worried by the reply from the Doctor that a second session might not be possible :(

Edited by hairlover1
grammar typo

A quality doctor should have no issues with excising your current scar. Has it stretched at all? If the scar was taken from the proper area your doctor will cut it out and extract as many grafts as he can from the new strip. In my case the first strip scar I had was made too low, so my second Ht doc (Dr. Feller) had to make another strip.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Good question and as said by hairthere often a scar can be removed and the doctor will gain new grafts also in the process, assuming in the correct position and wise to revise.

The previous surgery will effect laxity so there needs to be laxity enough to remove the first scar and revise it if possible and as a bonus get more surface area with those needed grafts for a second surgery.

A caveat is also that a bad Strip surgery can cause miniaturisation around the scar area so that also needs to be checked as it is from there that the new grafts will come also.

Bad surgery not only effects the donor but also the recipient may also have abnormalities and scar tissue, so the doctor needs to assess the whole scalp and see what is possible in both areas and take the necessary precautions/actions. Often an in person consultation is advisable if the photos do not give the clarity needed.

All the best for anything you decide to do.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Thanks hairthere and sl for the valuable information.

I would be meeting Dr. Pathuri Madhu in December for consultation and the surgery. Hope there won't be any issues so that the surgery can't be performed. Looking forward to it :)