Post HT - This is freaking me out

lookingforht

I had an HT 4 weeks ago and everything has been pretty good so far. However, something has just got into mind and this is freaking me out.

In my post-op instructions I was instructed to use Aloe vera gel two times a day starting from day 5. Since I was using my fingers to dab the Alove vera on transplant areas, before the Alove vera application I washed my hands, and then sanitized my hands with an hands antiseptic (hands sanitzer) let them dry for half a minute or so and then dabbed the Aloe vera on my transplanted area. So good so far.

But I just happened to check the ingredients of my hands antiseptic (hands sanitzer) and it mentiones that it contains Denatured Ethanol. By Googling, I find out that Denatured Ethanol is actually alcohol. This is freaking me out that the alcohol-based antiseptic on my hands while rubbing Alove vera may have killed my grafts. Any opinions? Or is this just a paranoia and am I worrying needlessly?

Edited by lookingforht

Paranoia!! Don't worry at all about it, I'm sure it would be common knowledge if any kind of normal hand wash contained Ingredients that were harmful and also it will be mixed with the aloe Vera which is very gloopy and would stop any direct contact!! Check in with your clinic just to ease your worries but I'm pretty certain alls good in the hood mate!!!

hairshopeing,

Thanks for the counseling, appreciate it.

Actually its not the normal handwash (soap) that I am worried about. What I did was I used hands antiseptic gel (disinfectant) that is worrying me.

I know disinfectant is used extensively in hospitals and surgeons use before surgery (to disinfect their hands), but I'm not sure if they use the alocohol based one.

Is anybody here who regularly use hand sanitizer (antiseptic/disinfectant gel) at home?

I had an HT 4 weeks ago and everything has been pretty good so far. However, something has just got into mind and this is freaking me out.

In my post-op instructions I was instructed to use Aloe vera gel two times a day starting from day 5. Since I was using my fingers to dab the Alove vera on transplant areas, before the Alove vera application I washed my hands, and then sanitized my hands with an hands antiseptic (hands sanitzer) let them dry for half a minute or so and then dabbed the Aloe vera on my transplanted area. So good so far.

But I just happened to check the ingredients of my hands antiseptic (hands sanitzer) and it mentiones that it contains Denatured Ethanol. By Googling, I find out that Denatured Ethanol is actually alcohol. This is freaking me out that the alcohol-based antiseptic on my hands while rubbing Alove vera may have killed my grafts. Any opinions? Or is this just a paranoia and am I worrying needlessly?

Ok, Firstly I am not done with my HT yet, so I have not experienced it as yet but I can tell you on basis of what I have read. First Post 4 Weeks you are out of the danger period my gut feeling says the most critical phase is 2 weeks as after 2 weeks one can have a direct shower on the head and start having a gentle hair/head wash. So frankly speaking your grafts are in much better position post 4 Weeks.

Your second question on the alcohol based antiseptic may have killed the Hair Grafts is Practically not possible after 4 weeks. I mean hair grafts dying is more likely possible during the transplanting procedure By your surgeon, technicians and there are other technicalities to it. Your Scalp not being conducive for a Hair Transplant is also one area that the Book of HT talks about but that is the rarest of rare possibility. So the alcohol in the antiseptic that you used can (if you still wanna hold all your fears true could at the most cause a scalp irritation) But not killing of hair grafts Not possible in my humble opinion :-) Rest ONly Time will tell. Just forget it and hope for the best !

I have never heard of denatured ethanol. It doesn't even seem to make sense to me as it doesn't have a tertiary structure.... ethanol is extremely volatile, meaning that it evaporated very quickly. If you waited a minute, the very modest amount would have most likely evaporated. Coupled that with the lated of lotion that created a barrier between your hands and the skin,I would say that you have nothing to worry about.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Thanks agustyna and Nick for the supporting words and makes me a bit at ease.

augustyna, I understand that four weeks post-HT everything is quite settled. But I started using Aloe vera 5 days post HT and that's the the time period I'm worried about.

Nick, you are right about the volatility of enthanol. However, don't you think that evaporated vapours could land on the grafts and do some damage?

Thanks agustyna and Nick for the supporting words and makes me a bit at ease.

augustyna, I understand that four weeks post-HT everything is quite settled. But I started using Aloe vera 5 days post HT and that's the the time period I'm worried about.

Nick, you are right about the volatility of enthanol. However, don't you think that evaporated vapours could land on the grafts and do some damage?

Like I said, after a minute, a good majority of it will have probably evaporated from your hands. the remaining would be diluted and protected from the aloe vera.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

I'm with Nick on this one ... I really don't think there is any cause for concern.

I think you're safe to relax!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.