Temples Question

Hello Everyone.

Im 25 going on 26 in 5 months.

The pictures i have attatched are of my right Temple... Both are about the same left and right although i think the right is a little worse.

I hate how high they are going... I would say they have been progressing since i was 18 but its been very slow and really not bothersom until now...

Can anyone tell me what is going on? What to expect...

Should i get on any drugs? Should i use rogaine?

Is it possible to get a hair transplant to lower my hairline at the temples?

Would it be ok to do it at age 27,28 or should i wait until 30-35?

I always have had long hair all my life and going bald shall not be an option for me... I have soccer player hair somedays and rock star hair others.

I always need a serious flow.

If i were to fill in my temples where would draw the line for them? Would it take up a lot of grafts?

Thanks to whoever has read this and answers any questions.

5b32db549b10c_HAIR1.jpg.9868e20b5b7b8b8b720559c7391bb4a2.jpg

5b32db54a85a1_HAIR2.jpg.856b652eb20f68e135edf92503da31fc.jpg

5b32db54b7c9e_HAIR3.jpg.074a0aa91bfc0995b8b6a83bd13c8822.jpg

5b32db54cd41c_HAIR4.jpg.b0ada256264f6d0ee5649a8a851511d3.jpg

5b32db54e1dbe_HAIR5.jpg.df0a10f2eea3af63bba9b70bbe38968f.jpg

5b32db55031cc_HAIR6.jpg.45aa6881f09001df2e46f2c72eb6f2be.jpg

5b32db5516b2d_HAIR7.jpg.4896aeef42d90ce7e89a4221fe79e6c8.jpg

5b32db5529079_HAIR8.jpg.27de6b73f6b0f5ba0fb41d1b8aae12e1.jpg

Haha- di- ha ..ha...

You are good looking, have the hair the chicks kill for.. And the guys will be very happy you are gonna lose it!!! Me personally, I say I knew many guys who really got a break on me, when I lost the only attribute I had, very young.

It hurt me later, to see a guy your age, who had hair like that. chicks loved him. Started to lose it, gradually, he kept his head high, shaved it off and kept his head high..That is a true story, even though i believe in the power of the almighty gambit of the bluff, because keeping your head high is of course just bluff, but it works, not only on the world, but on yourself. ((at times)

Now, none of this is helping.

Do u want to enter the secret and lonely world of hair loss "sufferers"?

If you do, there is plenty you can do.

First, propecia is a great start. I would recommend a blood test for a DHT profile, but almost nobody bothers, so, meh...

See how propecia goes for a year, and then reassess.

Take a set of pics like you have done. Be brutal, try different lighting.

When looking out for side-effects, consider carefully and try not to over react. You are still flying high at this point with great hair, so you have the reserves of confidence not to do that.

Meds don't do much for temples. An HT will give you a great solid front line you can comb back and keep that surfer-rock star thing going much, much longer. But it will kill a decent amount of that miniaturizing hair battling on the front lines, as well as behind.

You might transplant 2500 grafts, say at 27-28 and look brilliant, but you will lose at least that in shock loss. But these hairs would be doomed anyway!! ...that is, without propecia. Do once again, I reiterate, propecia for a trial.

And speaking as an old man. You look great, you would have confidence. You can make the transition to short or bald with confidence starting high, falling a few thousand feet rapidly, but then keep flying. If you enter the world of HT, you can expect a rocky descent if you start messing about too much, or your cards don't fall the right way.

Anyway, still looking good. More power to you.

superinzaghi7,

Welcome! I'd say you're pretty lucky. My hair and hairline was very similar to yours as early as the age of 20. I also had long hair for years at that time and I remember panicking when I realized my hairline was beginning to recede at around 19. I was sure I'd be a cue ball by 25. Fortunately, it hung on for a few more years. I cut it short at about 25 as my hairline limited my styling options and I always had my hair in my face to hide it. Anyway, cutting it short bought me a few good years.

Finasteride wasn't approved for hair loss until I was 29 and the high cost at that time caused me to decline using it. I believe, had I started back then, I would have probably retained most of my existing hair (no way to know for sure). I second the advice above by scar5. Visit a dermatologist or hair restoration physician and discuss staring finasteride. These days, in generic form, it's dirt cheap.

You know what they say about an ounce of prevention.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

You likely would not want to just fill-in your temples, you'd want to lower your hairline up front a tad. You're looking at a minimum of 1200-1500 grafts, depending on how aggressive you went with the design. But considering your age and how much hair you have, I would suggest doing nothing right now. As Scar5 and TTP recommended, try the meds (finasteride) out. They can help you hold onto what you have but will likely do nothing in terms of regrowth. Rogaine is known to work on the crown, so while it won't hurt to try it, I doubt it will do much.

Reassess the situation when you hit 30. Keep in mind that most guys on this forum would--and will--pay tens of thousands of dollars to have your hair.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Personally I would recommend filling in the temples, but refrain from touching the front at all. Later on down the road (5, 10, 20 years?) if the hairline needs more work and you liked the result on your temples maybe then do the entire hairline.

Haha-

First, propecia is a great start....

When looking out for side-effects, consider carefully and try not to over react..

Ha..ha??

I should mention that Propecia has been linked to depression and that my friend, is something we don't need more of, so I dunno, but have a look at the wiki article.

I would consider finasteride. You do look like you are at the beginning stages of hair loss. I think your hair looks too good right now to do a transplant personally. Finasteride likely will not regrow what you have lost in the front, but it will help you retain what you have, possibly for may years. Minoxidil (rogaine) of course would not hurt either. I use both as a preventative measure.

I personally feel that side effects from finasteride are over stated on the forums because I think that people that did have them are many times more vocal that people that do not have sides and don't get on forums. I would assume hair loss is linked to depression as well, so one does have to consider that correlation does not equal causation.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I would consider finasteride. You do look like you are at the beginning stages of hair loss. I think your hair looks too good right now to do a transplant personally. Finasteride likely will not regrow what you have lost in the front, but it will help you retain what you have, possibly for may years. Minoxidil (rogaine) of course would not hurt either. I use both as a preventative measure.

I personally feel that side effects from finasteride are over stated on the forums because I think that people that did have them are many times more vocal that people that do not have sides and don't get on forums. I would assume hair loss is linked to depression as well, so one does have to consider that correlation does not equal causation.

Absolutely right! The side effects are way over stated. A lot of people who link it to ED would of had it anyway. A lot of people with depression (flimsy claim bc there are very few credible studies claiming this) had depression before the drug or as stated above the is more likely a correlation between hair loss and depression. I wouldn't put too much confidence into these claims unless you see the full study yourself. You'll be hard pressed to find them. But you will see people making crazy claims based on their personal hypothesis with no scientific backing. <--not a good way to evaluate drug side effects.

Bottomline, it is not a miracle drug. You will still lose hair. However, it does help retain hair longer then you would have without it. Depending on your case it may be worth it.