Real cure for Baldness

BrianR

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thats nice but still very far away. good thing for all people in their 20s though

haha Its always been my fear that the day after I dye, someone will come out with a shot that makes you live forever and healthy....

Team Tokyo is the researchers in the first link. They have bio-engineered fair follicle "germs" and grown them on mice. It is essentially a cure if it ever comes to market and it really isn't that close to human trials, they are still trying to work out issues with stem cell multiplication.

The second link is the research of Colin Jahoda who has also successfully grown hair on mice with human skin using DP cells. They also have a lot of technical problems they need to resolve that I don't have the time to lay out. Although Jahoda is going to be presenting at the upcoming IHSRS conference so maybe he has some good news.

The truth is these are some of the best chances at a cure/treatment, but they are not even very close at going into clinical trials. For example if they were to enter clinical trials today and everything went perfect they wouldn't be to market before 5 years at the absolute earliest. So this stuff is great, but It isn't that close. Right now Histogen, Follica and Replicel are the only people in trials with a shot at getting a treatment to market in the next few years.

Well that all seems like promising stuff, none-the-less!! Even if we have to wait around more and tide ourselves over with hair transplants until something does come to market..........

Thanks for this info greatjob!! =)

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Isn't this bad news for propecia & minoxidil makers ? I'm sure they will do everything they can to start coming up with horrible side effects etc regarding it. I just hope it's available in 5 years,a 2500 Fue should keep me sweet until then :)

Isn't this bad news for propecia & minoxidil makers ? I'm sure they will do everything they can to start coming up with horrible side effects etc regarding it. I just hope it's available in 5 years,a 2500 Fue should keep me sweet until then :)

Propecia for all intents and purposes was a huge commercial failure, it only accounts for about 0.8% of Merck's revenue and is going off patent I think this year or something so I don't see much reason for that. It's more likely big Pharma will buy out whoever comes up with a treatment/cure.

The problem with the industry is that because propecia was a flop many big pharma companies are reluctant to develop new treatments, and since the cost of drug development and clinic trials is astronomically high many possible treatments get shelved.

The UK article talks about "placing the lab grown cells back into the skin".

Doe anyone know how that process would most likely work?

Would lateral slits of some type be needed?

Or would lab grown cells possibly be able to be injected via a needle

or surgical instrument into the scalp tissue?

NEVERMIND....I see in the drawing it would be by needle injection.

Uh-oh....Mickey85....lol....the dreaded "strip" is mentioned in the new discovery...see #1

article-2470225-18E4366B00000578-647_634x245.jpg

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

So ...

I hate to be a "buzzkill," but I do want to make a few comments:

First, and foremost, this "news" article is truly not "news." Most of the treatments it discusses are a mish-mash of ongoing (but well established) treatments and those that have already been tried and failed. Essentially, it is kind of an overview/combination of the efforts from Aderans, Dr. Lauster, "Team Tokyo," a little bit of Follica, and Dr. Jahoda. Just for reference, several of the above mentioned projects have either been de-funded or abandoned in light of other pursuits.

Having said that, the only real breakthrough mentioned in the article is Dr. Jahoda's discover of culturing dermal papilla stem cells in a 3-D spheroid model. In the past, the vast majority of groups were unable to create dermal papilla cells that could be induced to form functional hair follicles, but Jahoda's group showed that growing the cells in a 3-D spheroid may actually solve the problem.

Finally, I did want to mention that this work is far, far, far away from becoming a viable treatment. Not only is it still mainly in the theoretical/experimental phase, but because it involves the culture and re-implantation of stem cells, it will likely require serious FDA testing before moving to market.

Now, I say all this not to discourage, but only to reaffirm the importance of utilizing proven treatments to halt progressive hair loss today. However, it is all very exciting research and I truly do hope it turns into a viable treatment at some point down the road.

Lastly, I did want to state that there are several "futuristic" treatments being trialed today with more realistic release timelines. For example, donor doubling is now being trialed by physicians like Dr. Mwamba, and this type of treatment would likely require less approval/oversight and could become a reality if it proves effective and reproducible (and this is likely as the science behind the procedure is fairly established and sound).

Again, sorry for being a bummer!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

So ...

I hate to be a "buzzkill," but I do want to make a few comments:

First, and foremost, this "news" article is truly not "news." Most of the treatments it discusses are a mish-mash of ongoing (but well established) treatments and those that have already been tried and failed. Essentially, it is kind of an overview/combination of the efforts from Aderans, Dr. Lauster, "Team Tokyo," a little bit of Follica, and Dr. Jahoda. Just for reference, several of the above mentioned projects have either been de-funded or abandoned in light of other pursuits.

Having said that, the only real breakthrough mentioned in the article is Dr. Jahoda's discover of culturing dermal papilla stem cells in a 3-D spheroid model. In the past, the vast majority of groups were unable to create dermal papilla cells that could be induced to form functional hair follicles, but Jahoda's group showed that growing the cells in a 3-D spheroid may actually solve the problem.

Finally, I did want to mention that this work is far, far, far away from becoming a viable treatment. Not only is it still mainly in the theoretical/experimental phase, but because it involves the culture and re-implantation of stem cells, it will likely require serious FDA testing before moving to market.

Now, I say all this not to discourage, but only to reaffirm the importance of utilizing proven treatments to halt progressive hair loss today. However, it is all very exciting research and I truly do hope it turns into a viable treatment at some point down the road.

Lastly, I did want to state that there are several "futuristic" treatments being trialed today with more realistic release timelines. For example, donor doubling is now being trialed by physicians like Dr. Mwamba, and this type of treatment would likely require less approval/oversight and could become a reality if it proves effective and reproducible (and this is likely as the science behind the procedure is fairly established and sound).

Again, sorry for being a bummer!

Yes, pretty much every media report on baldness is useless tertiary scientific articles written by people completely out of their depth who misrepresent nearly all aspects of the research and claim any progress as something that will cure baldness in 5 years. However, Jahoda and Christiano's recent work is very interesting and promising, they seem to have overcome one of the hurdles lying in front of their research. Like you said though and I stated in my previous post the timeline for a cure or working cure for mpb is still very far off.

Hi all,

This story was aired on UK tv last night on the ITV news channel.

I'm fairly sure I've read about this research before and some (most) of you probably have as well, but I thought I'd post it because they seem to have made some progress and it's caught the attention of the media over here.

I'm not naive enough to think that this will definitely be successful or even that it would be available in the next couple of years (we all know how often we've had the cure dangled in front of us that would be available in 5 years). But it's good to hear any positives from people researching this field.

I hope some of you find it interesting.

Radical new therapy to tackle baldness is just a hair

Yeah, sounds good.

In the article I read the hairs lasted for six weeks but they say the results should be different on human subjects.

Early days but seems to be a lot of coverage (no pun intended) by the media.

Any exposure and information regarding hairloss is helpful, and the more media coverage there is will hopefully do even more to lessen the stigma relating to hairloss/transplant surgery etc.

I don't think the cure is tomorrow But I think once the main stream media and big breakthroughs like this happen, More money and time will be available..

Its gonna be weird in 50years when nobody is bald? Im not sure how I feel about that.

a cure or working cure for mpb is still very far off.

a cure or working cure for mpb MAY BE still very far off

It's all well and good but this is well over 10 years away. Realistically more like 20 years.

There have been many medical breakthroughs in history that went against the grain of thought and came as a surprise to people thinking "we are still years away". We've seen major advances in hair-transplants just since I had my first one back in the 1990's. I think we will continue to see huge changes in hair replacement medical technology and MPB therapies in the coming years.

The Top 10 Medical Breakthroughs for 2013 | Yahoo Health

I am just really, really anxious for more treatments until a cure is found.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Dr. Nigam is our best hope. Far fewer regulations in India. Hope he collaborates with Jahoda. Google "Nigam Jahoda"...first link has photos. When will this site allow links? All the other ones do.