Dr. Cooley Acell/PRP Injection Treatment

melinda

I'm a 48 year old female and visited Dr. Cooley's office for a consultation on having a hair transplant for thinning hair on top behind the hair line.

Before I left I placed a $500 deposit on an Acell/PRP injection treatment that will cost $2500 total.

Getting back home, i'm not finding a lot of information about the success of the procedure. In the office, it sounded like it was a proven treatment that would make my hair grow back in and increase the diameter of my current hair.

Looking online at different articles, I'm seeing that many doctors have stopped offering PRP treatments --- I'm assuming for lack of results.

Does anyone have encouraging, positive experiences with this stand alone treatment?:confused:

I'm a 48 year old female and visited Dr. Cooley's office for a consultation on having a hair transplant for thinning hair on top behind the hair line.

Before I left I placed a $500 deposit on an Acell/PRP injection treatment that will cost $2500 total.

Getting back home, i'm not finding a lot of information about the success of the procedure. In the office, it sounded like it was a proven treatment that would make my hair grow back in and increase the diameter of my current hair.

Looking online at different articles, I'm seeing that many doctors have stopped offering PRP treatments --- I'm assuming for lack of results.

Does anyone have encouraging, positive experiences with this stand alone treatment?:confused:

there was a recent study on patients with alopecia aeata that had good resuults from it,about the same as a transplants, but there doesn't see to be a lot of evidence for its effectiveness. If you go to clinical trials.gov you can look up prp trials.

I know Dr. Cooley is highly recommended and I believe he is a very skilled HT surgeon and my opinion may not be well received, but I lost a lot of respect for him when I found out he endorses the crook Larry Shapiro's help hair shake. I see several well respected surgeons pushing this treatment, but sadly I don't hear many of them being realistic with the expected results. I have yet to see one stand alone prp/Acell treatment that justifies the cost.

I'll point you to this recent thread on prp/Acell:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/172636-acell-prp-injection-treatment.html

It was all the rage a few years ago and since then it has fizzled out. I have yet to see impressive results that would justify the price tag. If you were having a transplant I think there may be some benefit using prp/acell to help healing or reduce shockloss, but beyond that I have seen no proof that it consistently works at treating hairloss as a stand alone treatment. Women have been known to respond to certain treatments better than men, but at that price I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by greatjob

Melinda.......in case you didn't come across it, here's a thread that might be of interest. http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/170331-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic-prp-0-7-months.html

I recently had PRP in conjunction with my HT. It could very well have helped me in my speed of healing etc, but it will obviously be difficult for me to measure how effective it was in its own right. I just thought it certainly couldn't do any harm and it seemed to react well for diffusers.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

It's so frustrating trying to filter fact from fiction.

Just take a look at this PR article that was released May of this year...

ACell+PRP Injection Now Offers Reliable Hair Loss Solution for Millions of Women

"Injection that regenerates hair by activating stem cells in dormant hair follicles."

"For patients in the early to moderate stages of hair loss, the hair growth results after an ACell + PRP injection are significant and last for three – five years"

“My female patients want a natural, full look to their hair. ACell + PRP is a safe and reliable non*surgical solution for women suffering with hair loss.”

SadbutTrue, I made the consultation appt to discuss if i would be a candidate for HT. Since my hair seems to be showing signs of diffused thinning i'm concerned about the longterm outcome of HT but Lollie, the consultant didn't seem to be bothered by it.

She recommended a HT with 1000-1200 grafts (strip) at a cost between $5,500-$6,300. If the acell/prp is combined then it's an additional $1,500.

They way she played up the acell/prp as a standalone for $2,500, and the fact that it can be completed next month instead of next year ( appears Dr. Cooley has a waiting list); not to mention a treatment that doesn't require surgery.... well, i walked out the door $500 deposit down for the standalone treatment.. and felt very hopeful until i got home and started reading some negative reviews and learning that many doctors stopped performing the treatment completely!

If i only had a crystal ball.

Oh, and what's smp??

Edited by melinda
Forgot to ask!

Hi Melinda,

First of all...don't beat yourself up. There is a great deal of information out there related to hair loss and how to get it back that confuses the heck out of patients. If you go to International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, and type PRP in the search box, you'll find an extensive and interesting article on how PRP has been beneficial to injured tissue but IS NOT YET PROVEN TO HELP REVIVE DEAD FOLLICLES THAT ARE NOT PRODUCING HAIR!!! I put this in CAPS because a great deal of doctors are promoting PRP (many of them are even members of the ISHRS...where they all go to learn and keep up with methods) but then when you read the small writing on their websites or information they make you sign at the office, it states they don't offer any guarantees. That's where I find this insulting....taking $2500 from a patient but not offering guarantees??? If you're not so confident of the service you're offering that you have to write a clause to cover your butt....shame on you for offering it in the first place!

I'd call the office immediately and ask for your money back. I'd try proven FDA hair loss products such as minoxidil, laser therapy and/or even Viviscal vitamins, which you can get over the counter. Try going to other consultations in order to find a more balanced game plan for you.

Best of luck!!

Hi Melinda,

First of all...don't beat yourself up. There is a great deal of information out there related to hair loss and how to get it back that confuses the heck out of patients. If you go to International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, and type PRP in the search box, you'll find an extensive and interesting article on how PRP has been beneficial to injured tissue but IS NOT YET PROVEN TO HELP REVIVE DEAD FOLLICLES THAT ARE NOT PRODUCING HAIR!!! I put this in CAPS because a great deal of doctors are promoting PRP (many of them are even members of the ISHRS...where they all go to learn and keep up with methods) but then when you read the small writing on their websites or information they make you sign at the office, it states they don't offer any guarantees. That's where I find this insulting....taking $2500 from a patient but not offering guarantees??? If you're not so confident of the service you're offering that you have to write a clause to cover your butt....shame on you for offering it in the first place!

I'd call the office immediately and ask for your money back. I'd try proven FDA hair loss products such as minoxidil, laser therapy and/or even Viviscal vitamins, which you can get over the counter. Try going to other consultations in order to find a more balanced game plan for you.

Best of luck!!

Great advice

• 2 months later...

I'm considering Dr. Cooley and ran across this thread. I also ran across a posting by Dr. Cooley where he mentioned why he used Acell - perhaps it may be helpful to you?

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/172414-4-016-grafts-dr-cooley.html

3840 FUT grafts + Acell/PRP with Dr. Jerry Cooley April 17, 2014

And, I'll admit it - I'm trying the Help Hair Shake in my smoothies

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174893-3-000-fut-my-visit-thursday-april-17-dr-cooley.html

3840 FUT grafts + Acell/PRP with Dr. Jerry Cooley April 17, 2014

And, I'll admit it - I'm trying the Help Hair Shake in my smoothies

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174893-3-000-fut-my-visit-thursday-april-17-dr-cooley.html