New to all this hair loss talk...

YoungDan

I felt the time had come to sign up and speak to some people rather than reading other peoples problems for hours on end.

Basically,

I am Dan, 26 from Leicester, UK. Over the past 2-3 weeks I have started to notice more hair loss. It started with a few in the shower but im that paranoid I end up running my fingers through it all day every day and panicing every single time I see a hair land on the desk in front of me. I also do some fitness modelling part time, so my hair is vital to me.

A couple of months back I did a 12 week course of steroids, and I know full well this will higher my testostone levels resulting in DHT which then causes hair loss. The amounts I took were very minimal and my friends take 2/3 times what I took with no problems. I do not plan on taking anabolic steroids again.

I am also VERY stressed and feel like I have anxiety but this is being made 10x worse from my hair situation.

As its early days, nothing is noticable on my head, I dont think? However I do keep convincing myself it looks awful.

Paranoia is my biggest issue I think?

In the last 2 weeks I have attended 2 clinics, firstly Hair Care Studio in Leicester which I felt was a waste of time, the bloke didnt even look at my head, just tried to get me straight on a 6 month course of laser for ?1400. I left. I then went to Advance Hair Studios in Birmingham to which the manager did a full examination of my head with the microscope, he told me there wasnt that much of an issue and im probably at stage 1 of 8? He said for every 10 hairs I lose I will regrow 9 of them. The DHT wasnt that bad. He then went on to offer me 3 months of laser for ?1250 to get it 100%. I left.

Since these appointments ive read alot on the laser treatment and have come to the conclusion that they are a waste of time.

I have now booked an appointment with Iain Sallis - Consultant Trichologist in the UK. Im hoping that he spends abit more time with me, explains how I can stop the loss and reassures me that I dont have that big of an issue.

Is there a chance this hair loss could be just a fall, and my stress about it is making it worse?

I dont lose any hairs when shampooing or rinsing, I get them after when I run my hands through my hairs, probably 20 max? I have just purchased some Nizoral Shampoo from Boots as hair feels abit thin and poor and my head is really itchy at times?

I look foward to hearing from you. (dont rib me about the picture, that was taken 6 weeks ago!)

Dan.

1185427_10153198002045368_931204849_n.jpg.456d193fce38edeef50360d160a1795c.jpg

Can't really tell anything from that photo as far as your hair goes. You might want to work on your body fat percentage tho. :P

Seriously man, I feel like lasers are pretty much a waste of time. If you do not lose any hair on your head from shampooing, then you are one in a million. Most people do. I lose at least 20-30 in the shower every day. Its pretty normal. My wife does too. Don't let that stress you out.

You are quite young. If I were you, I would try to get a consult at the Farjo clinic and have them check you out and check your hairline and crown for miniaturization. If you do have miniaturization, you will want to consider finasteride and baldness can be very progressive, and at your age, you could end up at any level in the future. You are obviously not currently a candidate for surgery yet.

You do not look to be suffering from MPB, but that is a professional shot and not really made to show any flaws and is useless to judge your crown.

Finasteride will not drop your testosterone (in fact I think that read that may raise it up to 6 percent) but it will block a lot of the conversion from testosterone to DHT. Minoxidil or rogaine can also really help with the crown area.

I do not use Nizoral because of the reasons that you stated. My hair looks and feels worse when I use it, even if it is only a 2 times a week. I figured that minox and finasteride was all I needed. The down side to these are that currently, you have to use them for life to keep the hair that you have saved, but it is a small price to pay I think.

Finally, I would forget everything you were told at your previous consults and go with a clinic that is recommended here to give you a consult. It does not sound like you were given any good advice. If they find that you do not have any signs of MPB, you should really move forward and try not to obsess over the little things, as our own vanity can pull the enjoyment of our youth right from our finger tips.

Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Can't really tell anything from that photo as far as your hair goes. You might want to work on your body fat percentage tho. :P

Seriously man, I feel like lasers are pretty much a waste of time. If you do not lose any hair on your head from shampooing, then you are one in a million. Most people do. I lose at least 20-30 in the shower every day. Its pretty normal. My wife does too. Don't let that stress you out.

You are quite young. If I were you, I would try to get a consult at the Farjo clinic and have them check you out and check your hairline and crown for miniaturization. If you do have miniaturization, you will want to consider finasteride and baldness can be very progressive, and at your age, you could end up at any level in the future. You are obviously not currently a candidate for surgery yet.

You do not look to be suffering from MPB, but that is a professional shot and not really made to show any flaws and is useless to judge your crown.

Finasteride will not drop your testosterone (in fact I think that read that may raise it up to 6 percent) but it will block a lot of the conversion from testosterone to DHT. Minoxidil or rogaine can also really help with the crown area.

I do not use Nizoral because of the reasons that you stated. My hair looks and feels worse when I use it, even if it is only a 2 times a week. I figured that minox and finasteride was all I needed. The down side to these are that currently, you have to use them for life to keep the hair that you have saved, but it is a small price to pay I think.

Finally, I would forget everything you were told at your previous consults and go with a clinic that is recommended here to give you a consult. It does not sound like you were given any good advice. If they find that you do not have any signs of MPB, you should really move forward and try not to obsess over the little things, as our own vanity can pull the enjoyment of our youth right from our finger tips.

Good luck.

Thank you VERY much for your reply.

Very helpful and so nice to know that somebody took the time to read my concerns.

Which clinics are recommended for me? Is Iain Sallis a recommended Trichologist?

I am based in the Midlands of England.

Thank you.

Daniel.

I am from the U.S. but I do know that Drs. Farjo, Lorenzo, and Reddy are from the the UK. I do not know anything about the Midlands or the UK, but I can tell you that these are the only doctors that I would go to for hair loss issues that I personally know of. Even if it is out of the way. I drove 8 hours to have my doctor look at my head the first time. It is worth it to go to a reputable physician that deals only with hair loss. You should be able to google these doctors or find their info on the sidebar to the right that says "Find a Great Physician in Your Area."

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.