Transplanted hair growing Crooked,Twisted,Spiral and Wringed

Hello Friends,

This is my first post here.

I underwent a hair transplant in Pune(India) 2012.Firstly the transplant was done on both the temple areas as some hairline lowering was done.I kept on visiting the doctor to keep a tab on my progress.However when I told him that hair on left side temple were growing

crooked , spiral and they were very weak.The doctor assured me that they will get naturally straight after a couple of hair cuts.

Now that Its almost 17 months after transplant but the hair still grow crooked , twisted and spiral.They break off very easily.

What I want to ask is what is the reason they are growing in that fashion when I have all straight hair.I wonder if they will ever grow straight .

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks ,

YK.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question. But I too have about 3 hairs that I can locate rather quickly that feel unnatural and grow in the manner you wrote about. Luckily it is a small number of hairs, but it is very strange. The clinic that did my surgery screwed up on so many aspects of the surgery that I just figured this was another mistake that was made somewhere in the process by an inexperienced staff. I always thought that it had something to do with damaging the grafts before implanting them, but maybe we can get a doctor to respond with the exact reason this occurs? Mine have yet to straighten after a long amount of time and many hair cuts.

Hi

I don't want to worry you, but I had the same after poor surgery in the uk. I have recently had some extracted by Hakan Doganay in Turke

I know on some occasions hair may be wirey for the first year or so after a ht, so maybe you'll be lucky. If it persists then I would contact your doctor.

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

HT No2 : Marwan Saifi 1680 grafts. Great result

HT No3 - Marwan Saifi 1250 grafts. Another good result.

HT No4 - Hakan Doganay 2134 grafts. Result TBA

Total 5134 grafts.

These hairs grow this way due to trauma the graft goes through when being transplanted. Some of this is unavoidable, but nonetheless can be heavily minimized. On average the hair should straighten out after 12 months post op. Sometimes they never straighten out and you should have been made aware of this prior to your procedure in your consent form. Compare your graft to your fingernail. If you cause any trauma to your fingernail, it grows back a little ridged, but smoothes out after time.

Now your grafts growing crooked sounds like some recipient sites were not properly angled by the doctor or the grafts not placed properly, unless you are using crooked and twisted/ spiral interchangeably and maybe I misunderstood your point.

Are the majority of your grafts wavy or is it just a small percentage you can see in the hairline?

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I will post my photos in a short while once I get someone to click my pictures:)

Truth is that I have around 200 such hair(badly implanted hair).It is such a pain to see those twisted and crooked hair every day(Because I have natural straight hair).These hair are crooked but very thick and they break very easily leaving only one or 2 mm long hairs on the scalp.One thing I have noticed is that some of them grow as split in the midway and are again spiral/crooked to the tip.

I would not name the doc now, not without having his opinion again.

Thanks & regards,

YK.

• 1 year later...

This is my first review about the doctor who performed my first HT and I would like keep it as honest as possible so, that some one else in similar situation would be able to take a better decision.

In 2011 I did my first HT with Amitaabhh Shrivaaatav from Pune.I was insane that I did not do any research work before I went on to do a HT.

Hair loss panicked me and I started looking for HT.I was not want aware that HT is more of an art and not mere plucking hair from the back and putting it on your scalp.There are various things that need to considered from a doctors perspective, the number of hair in the follicular unit, the angularity and direction of the hair are a few.

When the HT is done you may fill up the scalp with so many Follicular units, but the placement of the hair at the front matter the most otherwise, people whom you meet tend focus on the hairline and keep on wondering "what's that ?".

Coming back to my HT experience, the doctor has 3-4 nurses who helped him identify the number of hair a follicular units a had,ony 3-5 hair units were plucked out(I underwent a FUE HT, the nurses were thrilled with excitement when they identified a 5 haired UNIT)It took around 3 hours to extract 800 units , then the doctor made holes with some punch instrument and the nurses inserted the hair units into these holes.The hole making and insertion took not more than 1 hour.

Extraction does take time but identifying best grafts and then making holes with desired depth, angles and direction matter very much, but in my case this process finished in 1 hour flat and the results were obvious.

My hair were pointing in all directions, I could not style them, I had wispy hair,100 of such hair still exist till date (2015).When care is not taken with the graft extraction, handling and insertion this usually happens(It is generally a result of a damaged graft , sometimes due to shock but , it fades out as the hair grows)I was expecting the hair to become straight over time but I see that they are damaged beyond control.When I asked the doctor about the wispy and curly hair he asked me to tie them with a rubber band, I was surprised to hear this from such a qualified medical practitioner.

The doctor gave me some refund but scarred me for life until I went in for a second HT at some other place in pune, a big chain of HT clinics which could not rework on the scar nor give me a natural hair line.

Please see my attached photos and choose for your self.

I will advice, get is right the first time as, rework always damages the original.Don't go for the cheaper ones, they will almost always cost you more in the long run.

Finally we have this great forum which helps people with best surgeons all over the world.

IMG_20150301_204702843.jpg.9fd65f3db6da1ba94851c08691eb43c0.jpg

IMG_20150301_204719125.jpg.5e8931515d51ae11f705dfc1c6ec64df.jpg

IMG_20150301_204730174.jpg.d6c7cfaf48c4021433b67ab43b1e03f0.jpg

IMG_20150226_231540762.jpg.b413489d6af9917565219df7e559e3d1.jpg

I went to Dr. Umar in California for my HT. The instructions I received for post op care indicated the use of a neck pillow for three months in the case of hair transplanted to the temple area.

It was quite inconvenient to get used to sleeping on my back for that amount of time but thought it best to ensure the proper orientation of growth from that recipient area.

Did you sleep on your sides after your surgery?

You might want to try a supplement called MSM for 6 months or so to see if your hair shafts grow any straighter.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hello,

I am lucky that the doctor did not show any interest in doing my temples.

Its only the crown area he did and how ?

Attached my first HT for hairline reconstruction with Amitaabhh Shrivaaatav

Thanks & regards,

Yogesh R Kapare.

hairLineYogesh.jpg.54fb31b6abb8b3c552f46d77aa9526a8.jpg

Its now 3 years and 7 months post HT and still have curly and weak hair , will the supplement still work ?

MSM supposedly is a good supplement for hair and nail growth. It's on the packaging and can purchase it at just about any vitamin/supplement store.

Some guys that have used MSM state they have experienced both stronger and faster hair growth.

Will it still work after 3 years? Have no idea but MSM is relatively cheap and would not hurt to try it. I would give it at least 6 months trial to see if it makes any difference.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY