Considering HT in the next year or two

Hello Guys,

I am a 22 year old that has been experience hair loss now for 4 years. And let me just begin by saying I've done the research--almost 5 months now--on HT's (and HT's in general) on men in their early twenties, and I know some think it's the worst possible thing to do. I know getting a HT done to early could result in me chasing hair balding behind my transplanted hair, the need for multiple procedures, cost, conspicuousness of a HT at my age, the distinction between a mature hairline vs juvenile hairline, etc...

With that being said I would like to get your guys take on what you think my stage in the NW scale is... (I've attached pictures)

I've looked at people in my family in particular on my dad's side (as men on my mother's side have kept almost all their hair even into old age) and I've noticed that the texture of hair I have inherited is from my grandfather who has softier,curlier hair (he also has all his hair btw at the age of 82), but inherited MPB in all likelihood from my father who is NWIVA (at 57). Both me and my brother are experiencing the similar MPB.

I've noticed throughout the years my hairline has receded along the corner mostly and the middle seems to be receding slower. I've been told my a HT doc I have mild recession. My question is given the fact that I can somewhat forecast my hairloss pattern, what is the harm in getting a minor HT to fix the corner's of my hairline?

I've been taking Rogaine since I noticed my hair loss and Propecia is out of the question because of the side effects I experienced. Rogaine has seemed to be helping maintain my hair on my crown--I don't think I am genetically predisposed to hair loss there b/c my father does not have any loss there anyways--but I do think it has helped a little on the hairline. So it seems to me that HT is the only viable solution for my hair loss whether that be now or in the future, that is of course if they don't discover a new amazing treatment for hair loss in the next 5 years (I doubt it lol).

Front.jpg.ebe0b51c3b0786d0a806c30741730934.jpg

5b32db4168abf_Left2.jpg.e882bd469a18c0f6b186631daba3817c.jpg

Right.jpg.e7b8ed9abeb8b92361b608ae131c8959.jpg

My opinion is if you can't tolerate propecia with your young age you shouldn't undergo a procedure at this time. Family history is only going to tell you if you will suffer from mpb, generally it is not a definitive predictor of your pattern of loss.

Most people who experience relatively advanced loss at a young age are destined to be a high norwood. I'm not great with norwood levels and you hair is cut short but you look to be around a NW 3. If you could maintain this with medication you might be able to keep up with your loss, but the fact that you can't take propecia means that you should anticipate losing the majority of the hair on top of your head and will probably not have the donor to keep up with the loss. Hopefully others will chime in with their opinion, but I personally don't think you are a great candidate for HT.

Your NW pattern has not visually revealed itself yet, IMO. You do seem to have some hairline recession. Like Greatjob, I would advise against a HT at this time. It's too much of risk and you still have a hairline that frames your face with more than adequate coverage behind it. Temple recession is normal. If you do decide to go through with a HT though, I would stick with the FUE route over strip.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Your NW pattern has not visually revealed itself yet, IMO. You do seem to have some hairline recession. Like Greatjob, I would advise against a HT at this time. It's too much of risk and you still have a hairline that frames your face with more than adequate coverage behind it. Temple recession is normal. If you do decide to go through with a HT though, I would stick with the FUE route over strip.

Any idea on what my NW stage is? And also do you agree with Greatjob in that I would not have enough donor hair assuming that I would eventually end up a NWIV like my father?

So if my understanding is correct, their is a strong likelihood my hair loss would progress in pattern completely divergent from those in my family?

Sorry for causing confusion. Your family history of MPB is generally a very good indicator of where your hairloss is headed, although it's not necessarily a definitive answer. Just by looking at your pics, I don't see you showing a NW IV pattern--currently. However, that can change quickly, and if your dad is a NWIV, odds are you could end up in the same boat.

I'd suggest you visit a quality HT surgeon and have him/her take a look. They can evaluate your thinning best and can tell you if those hairs have miniaturized, and if you have sufficient donor. (Judging by your pics, the donor does seem a bit sparse, especially on the sides, though.)

Best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com