How to prevent receding hairline?

Pretty basic question. I'm 21. My hairline started receding 9 months ago, and I'm freaking out. Completely losing it. I assume this means I'm going to be bald fairly soon...

If this happened in my 30s, I wouldn't really care, but I'm way too young for this! At this point, I'm fine with surrendering what I've already lost, what are my best options for keeping what I have in the front?

Is it hereditary? I started going thin (hairline) in my twenties and then it kept growing back and found out it was my thyroid. Bad news was some of it was real baldness and went on Fin and Minoxidil which help somewhat, especially in the first 5 years but finally they seemed less effective so I went and had the HT.

Good to get a doc's opinion, think about the various meds, and HT as last resort though 21 is pretty young to go that route.

forbin1992,

The best way for a young man with genetic balding to slow the progress of hair loss and preserve existing hair is with Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil). These are the only clinically proven and FDA approved medical treatments available and work best in combination.

I suggest consulting with a dermatologist or hair restoration physician. They'll be able to diagnose the cause of your balding and tell you if this is the best treatment option for you.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

forbin1992,

The best way for a young man with genetic balding to slow the progress of hair loss and preserve existing hair is with Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil). These are the only clinically proven and FDA approved medical treatments available and work best in combination.

I suggest consulting with a dermatologist or hair restoration physician. They'll be able to diagnose the cause of your balding and tell you if this is the best treatment option for you.

I may have to give one of them a try, I guess I'm just concerned about the side effects...

Thanks for the responses btw

Is it hereditary? I started going thin (hairline) in my twenties and then it kept growing back and found out it was my thyroid. Bad news was some of it was real baldness and went on Fin and Minoxidil which help somewhat, especially in the first 5 years but finally they seemed less effective so I went and had the HT.

Good to get a doc's opinion, think about the various meds, and HT as last resort though 21 is pretty young to go that route.

Yes, I believe it's hereditary