Are concealers dangerous to use?

Would someone please be really honest with this question. Im not sure if the website sells these products so maybe this isn't the place to get honest answers. I was doing alot of research and was just about to get Toppik but then I read that it contained, ammonium chloride. I understand there are harmful compounds in everything these days, but is this stuff really dangerous??

**outside link removed by moderator**

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Elite,

While I haven't heard of any complaints before, I think it may be useful to take a list of the ingredients in the concealer and go over it with a trusted hair loss physician. The doctor will be able to analyze what is in the mixture and tell you whether or not it could potentially harm your scalp/hair.

However, and as I stated before, I've never heard of this before.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

That website bases it's conclusion on forum members opinions? I wouldn't put too much weight on that kind of "evidence". Ammonium chloride is used as a food additive in liquorice, bread, baked goods and meat production. It is also in many cough medicines and is administered intravenously to replace electrolytes, so I doubt it could cause "coma" from putting it on your head like stated in that website.

If you look on the internet long enough you can find people claiming water and oxygen will kill you.

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion is that when you get used to using a product like nanogen or toppik etc, you get used to the way it looks. Therefore when you wash it out and look in the mirror your hair then looks a lot thinner again. So maybe it's an illusion that it is dangerous. If I had to hazard a physiological guess as to why it might be dangerous, I'd say that the locking mist, holding spray or whatever may interfere with minoxidil? Again, pure guess work tho!

• 2 months later...

Ive used both toppik and Dermatch for the past 6 years and I'm still here to tell the tale.Never had any kind of r e action, slow growth.However, its true you get so used to using them that its hard to imagine go8ng in b public without it.Having said that, it worked wonders for me however, I just had another surgery in hopes 9f go8ng back to natural without concealers

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

• 2 weeks later...

I never noticed that with toppik, but with Dermatch yes.

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture