My hair story - Failed ht, thinking of going again.

Hi all, my name is David and I just wanna share my hair journey with you and seek whatever advise you might have on my situation.

I am 30 this year and I had a hair transplant about 5 years ago from a doctor in India. I had 1200 FUE grafts put into my receding temple area but I considered that a failure as most (I would say about 70% - 80%) of the grafts did not grow and did not archive the results I had initially wished for.

Along the line, I discovered Toppik which really helped my situation. When I put it on it's like magic. No one knows that I suffer from hair loss at all! That helped me through daily life but over the past years or so my hair has gradually started to thin out some more. I'm finding myself having to use more and more of that Toppik stuff which I really don't like. The results it gives might be good but I am concerned about it's long term health effects. Breathing in those fine powers surely cannot be good for you. I am also concerned that Toppik might actually worsen hair loss as it might stop your hair from breathing. I might be wrong of course...

Currently I would say I am a Norwood 3 approaching Norwood 4. The front third of my hair is dying pretty quick and at this rate I'm not sure how long Toppik will be able to cover my baldness.

Hence, I am considering another hair transplant in the near future to replace the front third of my hairline. But considering my failed first hair transplant makes me a little nervous and unsure. Included in this post are some picture of my hair. The first few are my hair at it's natural worst. The last couple are what it looks like everyday with Toppik.

Thanks for reading. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Should I go for another hair transplant? Any good doctor to recommend? How many grafts will I need? Am I being unrealistic? Or should I let my hair die out and then live with a system?

5b32db3dc9f97_photo1.jpg.f26303406493daa601bad5c22f4241dc.jpg

5b32db3de2e8f_photo2.jpg.d43dbd45fc25a0f228b0c9fde7fa574a.jpg

5b32db3e023d8_photo3.jpg.4a05ac3effb8e9735ee35eb20f711b94.jpg

5b32db3e16c0b_photo4.jpg.2d7c02c2d2a4502c2781a43bf4f819ce.jpg

5b32db3e2a40f_photo5.jpg.473c085fac127e5a7ed2173c7c59d159.jpg

My word. That has to be one of the best Toppik results that I have seen since the product rolled out.

I would hold out as long as you can. There are other topicals that cover the scalp like Dermatch however you are concerned with your scalp breathing so probably best to stick with Toppik for now. Other posters may have some other cosmetic recommendations as well.

Consider this however. You may risk losing more native hair than the gains that you might make in a single procedure.

And the larger the procedure is, the more overall trauma imposed on the scalp so the risk is shocking out the native diffusing hair. The weaker the native hair is, the more susceptible it can be to shock loss.

It could also begin to advance the rate/progression of loss and then you find yourself chasing the loss at a more rapid rate.

When you get to the point of not being able to adequately use topical concealers, then you may want to consider doing smaller FUE sessions to slowly but methodically build up coverage as you lose it.

There is not as much overall trauma level and it's far more easier to slowly add more coverage.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hairy,

I'm sorry to hear the first transplant was unsuccessful. It's difficult to tell why this occurred. However, I'm not sure it should deter you from another procedure. While Gillenator's point about surgical trauma "shocking" weakened follicles into a (likely) permanent shed in diffuse thinners is valid, I don't think this has to be the case for you; at all! Several studies - and anecdotal practice data - shows that using finasteride (Propecia) around the time of surgery can prevent this permanent shock loss. What's more, if you're a good candidate for the medication, you may end up staying on it and retaining a lot of your native hair.

However, in order to figure this out, you do need to see a trusted hair restoration physician. A consultation with one of these physicians will help you determine whether or not you're a good surgical candidate and help clarify what other options (medications, continued concealer usage, etc) are available.

Please, feel free to ask any additional questions. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake makes a good point. I agree that there does not appear to be advanced levels of diffusion to the native hair shafts. Undoubtedly it's present but the better caliber of hair, the better chances of it growing back from shock loss.

What I have observed is that the longer time period that the individual has been experiencing stabilization from low dose finasteride (12 months) the better they respond and recover from shock loss.

Having said that, I still feel that starting it just before surgery presents no advantage. Some guys in fact experience a shed from the initial use of finasteride and can potentially affect the regrowth time tables.

I have even come to the opinion that if the patient wants the procedure before ever using finasteride, wait at least until the procedure matures and the yield takes place.

I want to make clear that this is not medical advice but only an opinion based on many clinical observations since Propecia was released to the public.

And I also agree with Blake to seek the counsel and advice of a experienced licensed physician. ;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

When I was 18 and receding I was serverly depressed and almost sucidal but it's funny how you get better at dealing with balding as you age. As such I will hang on and delay another hair transplant for as long as possible.

Having said that, I've been out of the hair transplant loop for so long. Who are the best hair transplant surgeons around now? Can you give me some names to start my research? I've heard and seen good things about Dr Rahal. Is he legit?

-------------------------------------------------------------

What would cause hair transplants to fail? As mention in my first post, I am bitterly saddened by the failure of my first hair transplant. In hindsight, I think wearing a beanie for long periods in the hot sun might have caused it. I was really paranoid and self conscious in the first week after my hair transplant and wore a beanie when I left the house. Could that be the cause?

Also will washing your scabs with salt water cause my hair transplant to fail?

Hi HairyPotter,

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. What is the clinic/doctor name in India that gave you this bad result? This will helps others!

FUT with Dr Ron Shapiro on Jan 2013

2333 grafts- 1's 903, 2's 1261, 3's 169

"the starve for hair is like money.......you always want more!!"

HairyP,

I agree that surgery should be a last resort. Yes, Dr. Rahal is for real and an ethical doctor. And no, washing your hair in salt water would not cause a HT procedure to fail IMHO.

Gillenator