Time to consider a transplant?

Spelunk88

Hi guys, I was hoping I could get some advice here before going to a doctor for a consult. I am 31 (32 in a month) and lately I've noticed increased temple/corner recession, which you can see in the photos. I realize I have thick hair, but I am trying to be proactive. I am wondering if, in addition to starting finasteride and minox, I should go for a hair transplant consult.

Do you think they'll tell me it's too early? Would I still be classified as Norwood 2, i.e., is my hairline just maturing, or should I be more proactive? I ask since I've heard that doing transplants on anything less than a Norwood 3 is a bad move.

Thanks for your opinions.

5b32db3d152bc_photo1.JPG.b6df75089b287a992d6c9fafbc6aa642.JPG

5b32db3d2a3f2_photo4.JPG.3f8d012f4c6562f0d5cdcc5ed0908cfd.JPG

photo.JPG.bf89cc8cc98e42a33bdac91d9e745b96.JPG

5b32db3d4a79a_photo2.JPG.aabd62130826d8bd6d53ad8abc146d2e.JPG

photo5.jpg.783434e5fbc0f97fc10d2fd694cd49b4.jpg

Your have a killer head of hair and your hairline is low and not yet at the stages of being a fully mature hairline. Like Taco said enjoy that great head of hair and do not jump into getting a hair transplant yet. Research, Research, Research.

I wouldn't consider a HT right now if I were you. Get on the meds and reassess in 12 months I reckon, if not longer. They might halt things completely which would mean you still have great hair hair for 32/33 yr old, or may even improve things. Worse case scenario and you continue to lose, then look into it.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

I agree with the other posts. My answer is no.

If you have some aggressive genetic hair loss in your family then the first thing to do is to start talking to some doctors about the pros and cons of taking a DHT blocker like Propecia everyday. If you don't have a family history then I wouldn't do a thing besides just take care of your hair using vitamins and other low maintenance strategies. At this point, I don't see a HT significantly improving your hair whatsoever.

Myth = Get a hair transplant earlier than later is the best strategy as a preventive measure.

I think that you have pretty solid hair. I think that if you wanted to just touch up the corners, then go for it if it really bothers you. I had more loss than you but it was not severe. I looked at it as I would get one when it got worse, so why not now? If you are 31 and just have minor loss in your temples, chances are that you will not be an advanced Norwood, especially if you get on meds and stick to them.

The key to having a transplant with your level of loss is to NOT go too aggressive (your frontal hairline is fine) and to make sure that you chose an artist who is very good at transplants. You do not want to end up worse than before the op.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think you should not even be thinking about a HT right now. You have great hair. If in the next 5 years you lose a noticeable amount of hair and are still wanting a HT then go for it then. If you do it now and lose hair behind the transplanted hairs you are in for multiple procedures and a lot of time and money spent. In a few years you might also be fine with a little recession in the temple/corner area.

dude you have a great head of hair, you have a lions mane ,awesome headof hair, go on meds if you think your losing hair,to keep things in check, research this forum to educate yourself about hairtransplants, after a few years see where your at.

Splunk,

I think your hair looks solid and I honestly I wouldn't touch it.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Guest royalking1

Hair transplant but why...you have too many hair and a unique style too. Dear, you do no need it. If you wants to grow more hair on your forehead then think about restoration through other proteins instead of transplant.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
outside link removed

Thanks all for your responses. I took photos in a better lighting scenario, where the recession is clearer. I just don't understand how I don't classify as not being past a Norwood 2/Mature hairline. If you again reiterate that I am not, do you think it's worthwhile to start finasteride, as some posters have suggested?

Photo9.jpg.cb0e5b1d613d660a9b0ac8a8cde8fd6b.jpg

Photo11.jpg.115d9b1df3f668a32cbe4548eadb1e53.jpg

Photo10.jpg.5f254346f54edad7a92b7c11c1ca3683.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Spelunk88,

Your pattern of hair loss is identical to mine when it started. The only difference is - it started out for me at 25. I then quickly went on meds, and it sort of prolonged the entire Baldness.

For careless reasons, I went off meds and this accelerated the baldness. The attached link shows where I am today. (I am 29 now). I am at NW 3, and proceeding with the HT.

A true word of advice - I know exactly what you're going through. My guess, you would be constantly scrutinizing the bald patch day in and out, especially after a shower where its more prominent.

I strongly suggest, start off with medications and keep reviewing yourself every 6-9 months. A HT now is definitely not recommended.

Here's my snaps on the thread