FUT scar repair chances

Hi everybody,

I?ve undergone a FUT in 2009 when 1700 were grafted basically to my hairline. Now, my natural hair continues falling down and I start to feel my transplant didn?t went as I imagined. I?d like just to have my hair a little shorter, but I got a huge scar. What are the chances of having it repaired?

1-Left.jpg.753e5f79dfab13e90c5f92f32d099702.jpg

The picture is over exposed so I can't see the scar properly, but in any case, it's wide.

So welcome to our club. You are now one of millions with an uncomfortable strip scar, courtesy of your friendly HT surgeon. (At least you paid for it!) lol

What you can do.

..if you think you will lose more hair and meds is not stabilizing your situation

1) Have the scar excised and re-joined

2) Don't get too greedy for more hair while at it

3) Be extremely diligent whilst it heals

4) Hope, prey the doc and your skin work well together on that day

5) Wait 12 months

6) Re-Assess

7) FUE into the remaining scar

8) Wait 9-12 months

9) SMP into the scar if it still bothersome and by then you want a short hair cut due to advancing loss

10) Come onto these forums and warn people about strip scars lol

..just kidding...Move on with life!! and try not to dwell on it.

If you can keep enough overall hair, you might just need a but of FUE in it, but it does look pretty wide. Feel for you. Good luck.

..if meds are working fine

Think of all the guys walking around in Brasil with scars like that. I wonder what the doc told you when you asked him/her? (You did ask?)

Snowdog,

Is your scar stretched in just that one spot? Firstly, make sure you go with a qualified HT surgeon. Someone recommended by this forum is a good place to start. As Scar5 already mentioned, your first two, best options are to have a revision and/or FUE grafts into the scar. SMP is a possibility only if that scar is flat. If you do go that route make sure they perform a test patch before committing to having the entire scar done.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

That is a bad scar. Take some of the advice above. If your hair looked right 5 years ago, the transplant took, you just have had further native loss. A 6 year run at a young age on a transplant doesn't seem too bad. Good luck at whatever you do.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Snowdog,

Is your scar stretched in just that one spot? Firstly, make sure you go with a qualified HT surgeon. Someone recommended by this forum is a good place to start.

Yes, you should choose a qualified HT surgeon, but be careful to understand, that choosing a recommended surgeon does not guarantee that you won't get a stretched scar from a HT or from scar revision. There are:

1. doctor skill, (even recommended surgeons)

2. patient healing and

3. unknown (X) factors

at work on this.

take care...

That is a bad scar. Take some of the advice above. If your hair looked right 5 years ago, the transplant took, you just have had further native loss. A 6 year run at a young age on a transplant doesn't seem too bad. Good luck at whatever you do.

Very true. This is something that I would guess the majority of HT doctors don't tell their patients. Not to mention if you just speak to a technician whose primary function is sales and has no reservations about lying to get a sell completed. Fact of the matter is you would have needed another HT in the near future anyway. This time just make sure you go to someone that has a proven track record of getting good scars AND also understands the aesthetics design of hair.

Spanker is right about the 6 year run. I too had my surgery in 2009 and though I have had some native hair loss since then the overall effect has thinned, my hairline is still good.

Patriot34 is right. The majority of HT doctors probably don't tell you how long the HT will last, which is why you should prepare a very detailed list of all the topics that you need to discuss with them before hand.

take care...

Spanker is right about the 6 year run. I too had my surgery in 2009 and though I have had some native hair loss since then the overall effect has thinned, my hairline is still good.

Patriot34 is right. The majority of HT doctors probably don't tell you how long the HT will last, which is why you should prepare a very detailed list of all the topics that you need to discuss with them before hand.

The last few replies on this thread are a bit concerning.

I was under the impression that transplanted hair was more or less permanent, and didn't have a set expiration date a few years down the road. If finasteride is effective for the patient at maintaining the rest of his hair, why would you expect to continue to have surgeries, especially within a few years?

Transplanted hair should last the rest of your life because it is taken from an area where the hair is genetically programmed to be DHT resistant, even in advanced Norwood patterns. These hairs could thin with time, but they should not fall out.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

The last few replies on this thread are a bit concerning.

I was under the impression that transplanted hair was more or less permanent, and didn't have a set expiration date a few years down the road. If finasteride is effective for the patient at maintaining the rest of his hair, why would you expect to continue to have surgeries, especially within a few years?

There are certain studies that indicate that the transplanted hair follicles from the occiptal region, can take on the degenerative characteristics of the hair follicles of that area, into which they are transplanted. This may be due to partly due to the trauma of the transplantation, but also due to factors that I'm not qualified or educated about, to inform you (reduction of potassium channels, etc.)

But generally, you are correct Mr. Steele; the transplanted hair should last you for the rest of your life.

The overall MPB process is progressive, and lasts the rest of your life, once it has initiated. The native hair follicles genetically programmed to degenerate, will do so, and the transplanted hair follicles, may degenerate (produce hair of lower calibre compared to when it was in place in the occipital region), but not completely die.

take care...