Double follicle by cutting longitudinally?

Vanilla

I realize that many doctors are now trying to perform hair doubling by cutting a hair follicle transversely (perpendicular to the hair follicle) but has anyone ever tried cutting a hair follicle longitudinally (along the hair follicle). I think it is more logical to cut it transversely but I am curious if any doctor has actually tried it.

Hi Vanilla,

Yes, a number of physicians are attempting/researching donor doubling via partial-longitudinal follicular unit extraction (PL FUE). This procedure essentially involves using a very thin gauge FUE punch tool to extract the appropriate inner portion of the hair follicle (with the bulge stem cell containing outer root sheath). As of now, it is not clear which method is more effective. Time and further research will help clarify this issue.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.