22 and considering HT

I am 22 years old and have been losing my hair for the past 2 years. Every morning I wake up with loose hair on my pillow and just combing my hair pulls out a good 5-6 strains of hair each time I comb through. As you can see my hair line is receding rather quickly, especially for my age, and the rest of the top of my head is thinning very rapidly. If you look straight on at eye level, you can see my entire scalp. I keep it really long on top, so it gives the allusion of being thick as to hide just how thin my hair is. My father is bald and has been bald since about 25, so genetic is a a safe assumption. My question is in regards to a HT. I have tried using Rogaine over the past 1-2 years and I haven't seen any results. I know a lot of people don't recommend a HT at such a young age, but I feel as if that might be my only solution, and to attack it before it's too late. I'm always teased by friends about my hairline and how it makes me look like I'm in my mid 30s rather than early 20s. I have not seen any doctors about it yet, but I am considering doing so after this semester of school finishes up. Any thoughts?

photo_1.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

I would get on propecia and try to stabilize my loss first.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Do not go to Bosley or any other clinic known as being a butcher or known to scar patients, by searching first on this forum or elsewhere for the ones to avoid.

They will take your money, leave you with a scar for life and likely you will not improve your situation at all.

Give propecia a try and consult with a highly recommended doctor as Dr. Charles mentions.

Let us know your general location, and the forum will steer you to the better surgeons in your area.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Pics are not the greatest to give an honest assessment. I agree to wait either way though. 22 is a VERY young age to take that plunge. The contrast between skin color and hair is not that drastic and with proper styling you should be able to conceal the loss pretty well based on the photos. I'd get on propecia (fin) like suggest and hang out a bit longer.

I agree with all the posters. Hair transplant is not a cure for baldness nor does it stop hairloss. Proscar/Propecia is the only thing out there that may stop or slow down hairloss. In many situations it will help thicken up existing hairs to the point where you don't need a hair transplant and are content with the outcome.

My suggestion get on meds for a least 1-2 years and see how you respond. No moral doctor should give a 22 year old with aggressive hairloss a transplant without at least seeing how they respond to meds first.

Just my opinion good luck!

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I agree with all the posters. Hair transplant is not a cure for baldness nor does it stop hairloss. Proscar/Propecia is the only thing out there that may stop or slow down hairloss. In many situations it will help thicken up existing hairs to the point where you don't need a hair transplant and are content with the outcome.

My suggestion get on meds for a least 1-2 years and see how you respond. No moral doctor should give a 22 year old with aggressive hairloss a transplant without at least seeing how they respond to meds first.

Just my opinion good luck!

I couldn't agree more.

Propecia does not work for everyone and sometimes it can cause some severe side effects. If Propecia is not something you are able to take or have success with then a hair transplant surgery is not an option for you. Using medication to treat hair loss is the first step and the only reasonable step at your age. Even the medication phase should be highly monitored with your doctor using blood tests, as you are at a very young age. As you can see, it is not a cheap road to battle hair loss at your age so weigh your choices wisely.