Donor Shock Loss Does Not Seem Like a Rare Occurance to Me

In a separate thread, I had a discussion with Dr. Beehner who stated that in his 24 years, he has only had 3 strip patients who have had donor shock loss. I see other HT docs claim it is very very rare as well

However, if you look on this site, I would say at least 25% of the patients (I initially said 40% but I think that is a bit high) had donor shock loss even if to a minor extent.

I can think of at least 6 Rahal patients off the top of my head who had donor shock loss on this site in the past 18 months (Me and Agenteye are 2 for example). I use Rahal as an example because he was my doc and even though I had a good amount of shock loss, my scar was still 1 mm after my first procedure so I don't necessarily equate donor shock to a bad closure.

It virtually almost always grows back so its not a huge issue other than an inconvenience but I am curious if I am being delusional here or do you guys think donor shock loss is FAR more prevalent than "Very very rare"?

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I think you are probably correct. I think it is probably more rare to not experience shock loss. Myself, on my last procedure with Rahal I experienced zero shock loss in the donor and pretty much zero in the recipient, however I think I am probably the rarity not the other way around.

i had shock loss in the donor and its about 85-90 percent recovered after 5 months, theres a patch that may not come back, but oh well i guess ya win some ya lose some, long as the outcome is income (in this case ,hair) hahaha

I think it will eventually come back. I was about 90% last time at 5 months and 100% at 6-7 months.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

After my second FUT procedure I had donor area shock loss. I agree this rarity is underestimated to give you a false sense of security.... Just enough to bounce at the opportunity thinking to yourself... that's a low percentage that I will experience donor shock loss, but it's a high percentage I will feel anxiety towards my current situation of hair loss. Donor shock loss is more common than you think and the more procedures you have, the more you are at risk. They say recipient shock loss is from trauma and stress around the follicle, but if you think about it the donor area receives more trauma than the recipient via FUT strip removal. It's not a series of tiny pin holes, it's a deep trauma wound.

Just my opinion, but I agree it is underestimated for sure!!!

I was actually the one who started that thread. My reason for asking was because, like you, when looking at the pictures on this forum I saw quite a few people with donor area shock loss. I didn't suffer any from my first ht but was concerned that it could happen if I decide to go through this madness again.

Looking at it logically, though, what we see on this forum is a very tiny percentage of people who have undergone surgery. I'm sure these surgeons do a ton of procedures on people that will never even come to this forum.

Dr. Beehner did also state that pushing the boundaries on the length of the strip can contribute. You know as well as I do that we all want as many grafts as we can get, so maybe this plays a factor too.