hair transplant reversal surgery

Hi there guys.

I'm 33 years of age and live in Australia. I've experienced hair loss since around 18 years of age and as a result decided to have a micrografting procedure back in 2003. It ended up being 2 seperate procedures of approx 1500 grafts on each occasion. The area's were my hairline and midway back to the middle of my scalp. I was quite happy with the results for a number of years but as my hair started to thin out more, the micrografts became not so natural looking. At times it does not comb as natural as my hair would have prior to the operation.

It's been waying heavily on my mind in recent years, I wear a hat almost always now because my job allows me to do so fortunately. My procedure is by no means noticable at first glance, in fact it does at times look ok but takes a fair amount of effort to make it look that way.

I've made my mind up that I want to have the procedure reversed and the sooner the better. I for this reason seek your feedback and experience in making a decision on whom I should chose to reverse my procedure and have the micrografts completely removed.

I had been in the process of doing this through Dr Jennifer Martinick but was a little concerned and hesitant when I found all the bad comments on these forums about Dr Martinick and in general that no reputable hair surgeons exist in Australia.

Being that the procedure I seek is to remove the micrografts I currently have the most obvious questions I have would be, is this less complicated than actually creating what most would usually seek to achieve with a full natural head of hair? What are the chances of it being noticable with scaring and marking?

As mentioned before my micrografts were throughout my hairline and scattered back towards the middle of my scalp to thicken up those areas a little more.

I want all removed and at this stage was considering Dr Jennifer Martinick. I very much value and would appreciate any advice you can offer me that will assist me to make a decision and move forward.

Thanks

It is hard to give any advice without photos, but I really don't think what you are looking at doing is a good idea. It sounds like you still have native hair. There are forums dedicated to electrolysis and laser treatment where you can find a reputable surgeon, but to do it right takes a lot of money and a heavy time commitment too, as sessions for this can last for months (from my limited knowledge on hair removal). I personally your consider camouflaging you grafts with follicular units. You said you had micro grafting but it sounds like you had mini grafting, which is more than one follicular unit per graft. I would probably consult some top doctors that may be out of country and do some really good research. You may be able to do what you are considering, but I think there would be scarring with manual removal.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

For this type of repair work, I would consult with multiple surgeons and discuss different approaches. My first question would be can I remove the obvious grafts near the hairline and redistribute these grafts in a more natural pattern to camouflage the surrounding minigrafts. Combining this with another follicular unit procedure could reverse the mental and physical effects that your previous procedure is causing you.

I would be afraid of noticeable scaring if all you do is remove the existing grafts. A surgeon would have better insight on that aspect though, thus emphasizing the importance of consulting with a handful of different surgeons. I would suspect you would get different opinions.

I know how you feel about your condition. I was in the same exact spot as you almost twelve years ago. I had two surgeries, two wide scars and 300 mini-grafts with NW6 plus hair loss. I wanted to shave my head but it wasn't the scarring that stopped me. No, it was the hair. I knew that if I shaved my head the "stubble" would be more like tree trunks. Had FUE been more prevalent then I would have had them FUE'd out and called it a day. However, I went the opposite direction and got the hairline lowered and fixed and went on to having a major turn around for the better. In your case, I think there are two solutions. Do like I did or continue down the path you seek, removal. For that I think there is a very good solution for you and it lies in Dulwich, NSW.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks so much for the feedback guys and I've taken into consideration the good advice from all of you. I'm not planning on rusing into this, I will more than likely be flying interstate and organizing some appointments to get as much information from each doctor and then possibly look at seeking information from doctors outside Australia.

Are there any Doctors you would personally trust to take on a procedure such as combining, repairing or removal of my previous procedure? As in country and contact information or anything that may assist me to be able to determine who best to trust with this?

Thanks again

Do like I did or continue down the path you seek, removal. For that I think there is a very good solution for you and it lies in Dulwich, NSW.

Mate I'm sorry to hear you have had a similar experience to mine.

I can honestly say it's a decision I wish I had never made so quickly and without researching but I was young and have since learnt from my mistakes.

Is there any chance you can be more specific with the place you have just recommended in Dulwich NSW?

If it can't be typed here is there any chance you can sent it to me via message.

Thanks for your consideration

Hey, no worries. I'm actually grateful for going through the negatives I've had. It made me stronger as a person. Check your pm, please. You can also see more of my history at the top of my signature linked as "Hair Transplant Repair".

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I know how you feel about your condition. I was in the same exact spot as you almost twelve years ago. I had two surgeries, two wide scars and 300 mini-grafts with NW6 plus hair loss .

Holy hell. After all these years, I forgot how screwed you really were---or appeared to be.

Your transformation has been kind of incredible.

I know exactly what you're going through as this is exactly my situation. I'm 44 and had mine done about 9 years ago. I never wore a hat before my ht and now I don't go anywhere without one on.

It looked ok for a few years while I still had native hair up top, but now that it's gone all you see is the micro and mini grafts and they stick straight up. I wear the back and sides at a 2.5 guard and I tried buzzing down the top but it looks worse so I keep it a little longer and brush it back.

I was curious about whether these grafts could be removed via fue and replanted at a more natural angle.

I had also considered the same thing, having them removed entirely and just buzzing my head. The only problem is, I have a strip scar so I think I'm pretty much screwed.