1 hour since my HT with Dr Path, but still have questions

Hi All,

I have just finished my HT with Dr Path, and the whole experience was very positive at present (early days I know). But one question I could not ever seemed to get fully answered has been bugging me.

I opted for having 2,500 grafts (which I think ended up been closer to 2,700 in the end). The question I never go to the bottom of was that Dr Path told me that with the large area to cover this would give me around 30-40% coverage, and I am under the impression that to have a semi full looking harline I need around 50%.

Now the thing is that I actually DO have some hair on the top of my head, mostly peach fuss, but a lot of actual real hair. My hair grows like wild fire, but in the affected areas is very see through and a touch patchy. What I couldn't figure out is would the new transplanted hair compliment what I had to top up that % coverage, or would that existing hair now be lost for good?

In other words if I previously had 30% coverage, and then had the transplant would that knock me up to 60% or did I just basically kill my existing hair to get the same amount of coverage?

Chris.

If you are going to experience post operative shock loss it would generally occur in the first 3-4 weeks from the day of the procedure. Healthy hairs that fall out will grow back and weaker hairs that were going to fall out soon anyways will be lost permanently.

When in doubt, go halfway. My guess is that half, if not most of your peach fuzz is lost, through shock and transection during the incision phase. The speed the docs pump those incisions in would retire a wood-pecker from the Olympics. Time is money and there is no time to be gentle.

Are you on Fin or Dut?

That might make a difference.

Just curious, but when did Doc Path tell you that the best you can expect was 30% ? At the very start?

Thanks all, my guess was something like what was said here i.e. some will go, some will stay.

@scar5, nope Dr Path told me that to cover the area on a completely bald patch of hair the size I was looking at with the no of grafts I was looking at then that would be 30% coverage. I later got the answer I asked from the guys at DHT clinic, and Dr Path suggested that I had a fair amount of healthy hair up there already and the no of grafts would make it look fuller inclusive of my native hair. I guess nobody can say what the final % coverage will be but I am confident that it will be an improvement anyway.

Im CURRENTLY not on fin/propecia/dut, tbh I gave up on the routines because I saw no regrowth which was stupid, as really I should have been thinking more about maintaining than regrowing.

I dont know if Ill bother with minox anymore, I just don't think it helped. Correct me if I am wrong! Also, I can't restart the minox for a while now after my transplant, can I?

Regarding Propecia/Fin vs Dut, whats the preference these days? And does anyone know if a prescription is needed in Thailand?

Chris

Scar5

When in doubt, go halfway. My guess is that half, if not most of your peach fuzz is lost, through shock and transection during the incision phase. The speed the docs pump those incisions in would retire a wood-pecker from the Olympics. Time is money and there is no time to be gentle.

Nice generalization. How do you know how Dr. Path does his incisions, let alone all other doctors? You sound like somebody that has been screwed in the past and put all doctors in the same sentence. I personally have seem 100's of transplants in person and even sat there with the doctor counting the grafts (on a clicker) as the doctor makes incisions. I don't know how other doctors do but if that was the case there would be a lot of patients that end up with less grafts then they started.

Sorry you got screwed in the past. My experience was beyond my expectations. Generalizing is the same as ignorant to the fact in my opinion.

Edited by lorenzo

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Are you on Fin or Dut?

That might make a difference.

Just curious, but when did Doc Path tell you that the best you can expect was 30% ? At the very start?

I don't care if the doctor goes faster than a sewing-machine. What's important to me is the final result. And let me tell you, I'm at 4.5 months now and my hair is starting to look great. When I look at myself in the mirror, I see no lasting shock-loss and I no longer see myself as ugly.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Good to hear nick, right now I'm a swollen scared mess but I actually feel happier like this than with my balding look, can see light at the end of the tunnel (even if it's still a long way to go).

Chris

It's not an easy road, but for many of us, it's a road worth taking. Just try to pay as little attention as you can to the fact that you had a hair transplant in order to maintain your sanity.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Thanks Nick, like I said I'm happier now looking in the mirror at my lumpy head than my thinning hair. Really interested to see the results, and much happier now my swelling has gone down (felt like I had gone 3 rounds with mike tyson for a few days back).

I'm at 4.5 months now and my hair is starting to look great. When I look at myself in the mirror, I see no lasting shock-loss and I no longer see myself as ugly.

Update your blog!! We wanna see the progress - everyone loves a success story! :)

And ChrisJO, I think a lot of your native hair will return from the shock loss, although if you don't get on Fin pretty soon, it won't be sticking around for long and you will lose more and more density. Regardless, you will see a massive improvement - even if every single native hair died and vanished (they won't), and you wound up still being at 30% coverage... Well, 30% coverage with thick, multi-hair grafts full of darker, thicker hairs that are impervious to DHT is going to look a hell of a lot better than 30% coverage with dying peach fuzz, trust me. I bet you're going to end up with about 45%-55% coverage, and it's going to look hella better! I'm excited to see your case pan out, I think you're going to be a chick magnet at the 6 and 7 month marks... You better get yourself a wing-man and buy yourselves some Night at the Roxbury suits! :)

update please,we really would like to see your latest results.

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

update please,we really would like to see your latest results.

Seconded! Honestly though you're only at one week or so, right? Not quite even that? Much of your "new" hair must have shed by now, along with most of your old hair with shock-loss. That's a good sign though. Good thoughts! Stay positive! It is a 100% proven fact* that thinking positive thoughts radiates energy out through your hair follicles, which are directly connected to each neuron in your brain!

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, and are also completely made up in my head and probably a product of my delusional mind. But it can't hurt, right?

_

Not had any shed yet, I seemed to have scabbed up a little more than most of the pic Im seeing here. Not sure if I can add some moisturiser or oils to my head to calm it down, any ideas?

I'll ask Dr Path for the pre/post op pics and I'll add an update in a week or so.

Chris.

@OtherSyde - Sounds scientifically sound to me

Wait, your doc should have given you a little bottle of mineral oil and some cotton balles to dab on the recipient area for about 10 days - this helps it heal faster and helps the scabbing stay softer/non-crusty and fall off earlier. If he didn't, I'd go to your local drug store or supermarket and get some mineral oil.