Shock Loss in Donor Area

After my HT I never suffered shock loss in my donor area.

Does this mean that if I have another procedure I won't suffer any the second time or can it vary from procedure to procedure?

I've looked at a lot of post op pics on this site and I see a lot of people that suffer shock loss in the donor area.

I've read quite a few cases where people didn't experience donor shockloss during their first HT, but did in subsequent procedures.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

Shock loss in the donor area is a very, very rare event. When it does occur, it is almost always caused by excessive tension in closing the wound. This excessive tension can be because the patient's scalp was very rigid and didn't have much laxity, or because a wider strip was taken than should have been. This latter sometimes occurs because the patient is pushing the doctor for a larger number of grafts than his scalp laxity and density will allow for. The only reason shock loss could be slightly more likely at a second session is because the laxity often decreases just slightly with each strip excision. In my practice, I usually go one millimeter less in width with the next session.

Mike Beehner, MD

Shock loss in the donor area is a very, very rare event. When it does occur, it is almost always caused by excessive tension in closing the wound. This excessive tension can be because the patient's scalp was very rigid and didn't have much laxity, or because a wider strip was taken than should have been. This latter sometimes occurs because the patient is pushing the doctor for a larger number of grafts than his scalp laxity and density will allow for. The only reason shock loss could be slightly more likely at a second session is because the laxity often decreases just slightly with each strip excision. In my practice, I usually go one millimeter less in width with the next session.

Mike Beehner, MD

Dr. Beehner-I always hear docs say that donor shock loss is very rare. I just dont see it that way at all. If you look on this site, I would bet that better than 40% of the posters had at least some level of donor shock loss even if it was minor. You would know better than me of course but there just seems to be a disconnect here.

The patients I am referring to went to great docs so I am not talking about hacks here.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Dear "Can't Decide,"

I hadn't noticed that many posts about that, but you could be right. I think this is the kind of website that will get a lot of the negative comments congregating in one spot, and that the overall incidence among all hair transplant doctors is low, a very small percentage voicing their complaints in one place may make it seem more common. In 24 years of transplanting, I have only had 2-3 cases of donor area shocking, and, fortunately, the hair all returned in each of these patients.

I should add that the best way to close a donor wound that a doctor finds is too wide to close without a lot of tension, is to put sutures in and pull them, but not tightly, and leave the wound actually open. It will granulate in (fill in gradually with scar tissue), and then at a later time, when the scalp is looser, some or all of that resultant scar can be cut out and removed. The late Dr. David Seeger was the first one to write about this preferred method of treatment, and I have resorted to it 3-4 times over the years, and never with shocking occurring afterwards.

Mike Beehner,l M.D.

Thanks doc. I do find it mind blowing that in 24 years, you have only had 3 cases of donor shock loss. The cases I am referring to on here were not "complaints" but rather just patients posting their progress pics. My doc was Dr. Rahal and I can point to at least 6 cases off the top of my head,including my own where shock loss occurred. In all of these cases, the hair grew back and the scar turned out excellent. In my own case, the hair grew back and my scar was 1mm. Therefore, if the primary reason for donor shock is tension, it sure is not supported by the cases I am referring to because you would think this excess tension would also produce a sub optimal scar.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

• 3 months later...

I am currently experiencing a lot of shock loss in the donor area and I wanted to ask if it's for the better to apply rogaine to quicken the process. I am currently past the 3 month mark and I'd like the hair to grow back sooner..hopefully.

Thanks doc. I do find it mind blowing that in 24 years, you have only had 3 cases of donor shock loss. The cases I am referring to on here were not "complaints" but rather just patients posting their progress pics. My doc was Dr. Rahal and I can point to at least 6 cases off the top of my head,including my own where shock loss occurred. In all of these cases, the hair grew back and the scar turned out excellent. In my own case, the hair grew back and my scar was 1mm. Therefore, if the primary reason for donor shock is tension, it sure is not supported by the cases I am referring to because you would think this excess tension would also produce a sub optimal scar.

This was my experience as well…Most of my shock loss was at the sides where the strip was ended..all came back and looked great though!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website