So, how exactly do you measure your hairline height?

GodAwfulLuck

Like, I understand from the eyebrows to your hairline, but every site seems to explain it differently. Is is from the midpoint of the eyes, right under the eyebrows or right above the eyebrows is what I want to know?

Like, which line in the image do you measure to?

Measure.jpg.7a8c107e8e8cb0ac2f498df6b9af555f.jpg

From an anatomical/facial surgery standpoint, I think it is normally measured from the middle of the glabella region (procerus muscle). In the image above, I would place this somewhere between the green and the blue line (likely a little closer to the green one).

• Like 1

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I agree, in between the green an blue. People are shaped so differently. If I measured from the green, or the top of the eye brows, a 6 or 7 cm hairline would be on top of my head, because mine are naturally so bushy.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hairline placement should be more than just a measurement in centimeters. You should also take into consideration patients age, amount of hair loss, potential future hair loss as well as the shape of the forehead and facial structures.

I understand that, but this was more about measuring the height than creating a hairline. Like whenever someone mentions their hairline height they use terms like from the glabella, over the eyebrows, from the eyebrows and sometimes from the midline of the eyes. Was just confused in that regard, aha

Two different reference points are used by physicians with regard to measuring the "height of the hairline." One is the glabella, which corresponds roughly to the spot at the top of your nose where, if you push your finger in, you can't go any further. The other is a horizontal line drawn across the top of the eyebrows. I personally prefer to use the supra-eyebrow line, but it is important for any physician giving a number of cm's that the hairline is situated at, to also say which reference point he/she is using. One virtue of the glabella is that it can't move. Using the line above the eyebrows, it is important that the patient relax his face and forehead muscled in a neutral manner. Despite this possible interference, I greatly prefer to use the line above the eyebrows. There is about a 8-10mm difference between using these two reference points, which is why just throwing a number out there can be confusing and misleading.

Mike Beehner, MD.

The measurement ranges you listed sound more like measurements from the glabella for younger and possibly middle-aged men, but I think that distance from the supra-eyebrow line might be the average hairline height for men in their 50's, 60's, and 70's.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

Thanks for the time to answer aha, I'm sorry but I have one last question about the glabella.

My nose/brow is rather flat and there's no area where I can't stop 'pushing up' as you explained it.

So, the image shows the two areas that I've seen the glabella shown in diagrams. between the eyes seems false, but I'd just like to be sure.

If it's the slightly under the eybrow one, then my hairline is 6.5, 7cm, which I assume If I just close it in will make an acceptable feminine hairline.

Glabella.jpg.1f8bc86119c80cfea1c1d2f56f38abb7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...