How effective is HT without using Minoxidil and meds?

asiandude,

You don't need hair loss drugs like Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) in order to maintain the growth of transplanted hair. These follicles come from the "permanent" donor region at the sides and back of the head and, in the majority of cases, will grow for a lifetime.

However, these drugs can help prolong the effect of quality hair transplant surgery and postpone the need for a second or third procedure by preserving existing (non-transplanted) hair and even regrowing hair in the balding area that is susceptible to the effects of androgenic alopecia (genetic hair loss).

If existing hair is not medically stabilized, baldness will likely continue to progress, requiring future hair restoration surgeries to fill in the areas of thinning hair.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

If i decide to start on minoxidil and finasteride, will I need to use it everyday for the rest of my life? What if I realize bad side effects and stop taking them after use? Will my hair get worse than even before starting?

at first you might feel like you are losing a bit of hair when you start but they will grow back and then it will start to improve. Yes in theory you would have to continue taking finasteride. If you stop it at some point in the future you could lose the hair that it has been saving.

You should try it and see how you feel. If you have side effects you should stop. It's worth a try.

Totally agree with David and Magnum. We continue to lose hair because MPB is progressive in nature stemming from a genetic disposition.

Some hair is DHT receptive and some not which is considered terminal hair and typically found in the donor regions of the scalp. As David stated, hair that is terminal does not need the meds however they still can have a positive effect on hair caliber and regrowth.

Some guys experience a shed cycle from the "initial use" of either finasteride or minoxidil and many docs recommend getting established on them before having a procedure done.

If you stop them, yes the individual will begin to lose hair again.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY