Anyone experiencing a fall shed?

Spanker

Took a shower this morning and it was TERRIBLE. probably 40 something in the shower alone before drying and combing. I figure I am experiencing a fall shed. It was pretty bad, and I would usually freak out about it, but really, what can you do? Just thought I would mention it in case anyone else is starting to feel the Autumn blues in the shedding department yet.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I'm 5 weeks post op, 3 weeks into the start of introducing Minoxidil to my regimen, so on top of the seasonal change I'm currently getting hit from every angle! :)

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

I'm 5 weeks post op, 3 weeks into the start of introducing Minoxidil to my regimen, so on top of the seasonal change I'm currently getting hit from every angle! :)

Ouch. I feel ya bro.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel as though my crown has got worse over the past couple of months, it has been pretty stable for 2 years since taking propecia, so hopefully just a shed!!

HT No1 : Nobel clinic, Gatwick 500 grafts - Terrible result, left with bumpy skin

HT No2 : Marwan Saifi 1680 grafts. Great result

HT No3 - Marwan Saifi 1250 grafts. Another good result.

HT No4 - Hakan Doganay 2134 grafts. Result TBA

Total 5134 grafts.

• 2 weeks later...

They say loosing 100 hair a day is normal, but when your head is transplanted at less than 50% original density it's like loosing 200 or more! Seasonal shedding sucks and I think i'm experiencing it. I don't really know, but my hair is feeling quite thinner in the past two weeks.

Guest royalking1

I am too worried about my hair fall but i am trying hair restoration for my existing hair.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
outside link removed

Not this year thank god, almost at 3 months post op.

But last fall was the start of a bad spiral that led me to HT #2.

Lot of hair would come out after work by simply touching my hair.

I was on Propecia back then and 2% Nizoral almost everyday for SD. Think both fried the results of my decent HT #1.

Hang in there, with your results from Dr. K sure it will all grow back.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• 1 month later...

Well in the end it caught up to me, going through a fall/winter shed since late November.

Transplanted hair is growing in nicely but seeing a shed of pre-existing hairs, sheds suck as always,,

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Sorry bro,

I had a pretty massive shed in the shower this morning and wondering when it is going to cosmetically catch up to me. My head had been itching and I didn't take s shower yesterday so I gave it a good scrub and it looked like all my hair was in my hands. I have to shamefully admit that I did count them and it was like 80, which is not normal for just a shower. I am trying to keep focused on the long term and have been through something similar before with no cosmetic effects, so, we'll see,

If I see a cosmetic difference, I will switch to dut a few times a week and then that is all I can do until they come out with something effective. For me, doing all I can do makes me take it better, because I can't say, "I wish I would have done this, or I wish I would have done that."

Maybe lack of shower yesterday (which is very unusual for me...it's hunting season so I get quite busy in the morning and quite tired at night) contributed to a lighter shed yesterday and a heavier one today.

View Spanker's Website

Hang in there Spanker, I'm sure its just something temporary.

Are the hairs you are losing the newly transplanted ones, or your native hair only?

I'm curious of the affects Fin has on frontal transplanted hair, because I lost hair in the front even while being on Fin for two years.

I'm at a point where I'm trying to analyze if my current hairloss is from any shock from HT#2 this past August, extreme summer heat, or if I need to get back on Fin in very low doses.

Let me know if you go on the DUT course, do you have a prescription already for that?

go dense or go home

You lift weights btw?

I am still trying to figure how lifting weights and extra DHT/testosterone plays in the hairloss picture, even after having a HT. I lift twice a week for my health.

go dense or go home

I don't lift. I want to, but have been finding excuses. I don't think it plays any role at all to your dht levels.

I without a doubt think you should be on fin and minox. I think everyone who gets an ht should be if they can handle it.

View Spanker's Website

Can't use minox unfortunately as it exacerbates my seborrheic dermatitis in the hairline area, and crown is not thinning.

As I mentioned I was on Fin for about two and half years, long enough for an evaluation period.

I lost hair even in the transplanted area while on it, it made my scalp very greasy with sebum plugs, and had various sides, including random unexplained shedding. It is a drug that messes with your hormones, and hormone imbalance can cause hairloss.

I understand the drug works for some people.

If I ever do go back on it, it would be only in very low dosages.

I want to get the HairDX test I mention here done before trying again:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173116-anyone-fin-have-cag-repeat-score-test-hairdx-genetic-test.html

go dense or go home

With you having no crown loss at your age, you will probably be fine without it. I have some mild thinning on top I believe so I just can't risk it. I'll be on it for life.

View Spanker's Website

Spanker, do you just use generic finasteride? I went through a pretty massive shed in July, (over 200-300 hairs a day at it's peak). I totally overhauled my meds regimen, and got a RX for brand proscar and generic nizoral, and no exaggeration, it totally stopped within a couple of weeks. It could be totally coincidental that it stopped, but now I am willing to spend a little more for brand proscar.

Sorry but I'm a bit relieved to see it's not just me. Crown is thinner, starting to get a few hairs in the shower now. This happened last winter too. If it's a yearly thing I suppose I wont mind too much as long as I know it'll thicken up again for summer.

Hope I'm not actually going bald for real now.

See my "I'm back on the Avodart" thread in the drugs forum if you're interested.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Spanker, do you just use generic finasteride? I went through a pretty massive shed in July, (over 200-300 hairs a day at it's peak). I totally overhauled my meds regimen, and got a RX for brand proscar and generic nizoral, and no exaggeration, it totally stopped within a couple of weeks. It could be totally coincidental that it stopped, but now I am willing to spend a little more for brand proscar.

I am on generic.

I really wish there was a study out on generic TEVA and other legit brands against Proscar and Propecia.

View Spanker's Website

I in the generic Pharma business. I can tell you that Stevan is one of the very best generic firms out there. I am sure that finasteride from Teva is just as effective as Proscar. Having said that, there is anecdotal data that shows some generics don't work as well as the brand in some people. We don't seem to know why.

Bottom line is if a medication is very important to you and you can afford the brand, I would use the brand. However and again, Teva fin will be fine for the vast majority of people.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I am in the generic Pharma business. I can tell you that Teva is one of the very best generic firms out there. I am sure that finasteride from Teva is just as effective as Proscar. Having said that, there is anecdotal data that shows some generics don't work as well as the brand in some people. We don't seem to know why.

Bottom line is if a medication is very important to you and you can afford the brand, I would use the brand. However and again, Teva fin will be fine for the vast majority of people.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

With all the shedding it causes, I am not sure we can really call fin a stable hair treatment, generic or non-generic. It's like we take a few major steps forward with a significant HT or propecia gains, and then get suddenly slammed with a shed.

For some it causes massive sheds, others it causes slow or intermittent sheds.

I read this the other day:

Telogen effluvium from Finasteride?!?!

Not really anything other than the stronger Avodart currently on the market, so I guess we get stuck in the mindset that this is our only hope of maintaining our hair, which kind of sucks.

Hope they come out with a better solution or advancement in treatment soon.

go dense or go home