Balding? need help! Pics

mmm

Hey, guys, I’m a 20 year old, who, after coming back from a family visit to india, realized that he’s balding (mostly around the hairline corners/temple) ! I’ve compared my current hair shape to previous hair, and it seems to be a pretty sudden change… before the trip I seemed fine… My frontal hair has lost some hair but has not receded yet… but I’m still inclined to say that it’s MPB because my mom’s side doesn’t have any hair left (they’re 50 tho…). So, I noticed that my temples have been receding (slowly but surely) and my crown appears to be getting larger. I’ve just started applying Kirkland’s Min 5% and taking a bunch of vitamins (iron, saw palmetto, biotin, etc). my frontal hair has been light since I was like 7 (as it’s fairly long) but the hair on the back of my head has usually been pretty thick…Also, I don’t think there is a lot of miniaturization present… (atleast not that noticeable to my untrained eyes) yet. I am definetely shedding though.

hairline

crown

crown (2)

side

front hairup

temple pic

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/mazhar11215/20130913_170720.jpg]temple

So the Questions I’d like to ask you guys is…

1. Is this for sure MPB?

2. Is it definite enough to convince the doctor to give me a prescription so I can jump on Finasteride (I’m considering taking it)?

Should I apply Min twice a day or once?

Thanks so much guys!!

• 2 weeks later...

You are pretty young to start on Propecia, but you could get it if you wanted it. Just know that it is something you have to take everyday and there are some side effects that occur in a small percentage of patients. At your age, if I was you, I wouldn't do a thing. My first step would be minox in the crown area before bed every night IF you are losing some in the crown.

Even that seems like too much of a commitment for someone who can't even legally by a beer in the U.S. My advice is try not to worry about it and keep on living. If in 5-8 years you feel you are experiencing too much hair loss then weigh your options at that time. Hopefully we will have come further along in our technology by then. Just look at hair transplants from the 90's to what you see today.

Mmm,

If you believe you are experiencing hair loss, you should see a physician with experience treating alopecia and undergo an examination. If it is androgenic alopecia ("male pattern baldness"), then you caught it very early and will likely be a great candidate for preventive treatments like minoxidil (Rogaine) and finasteride (Propecia). However, this is only if the doctor believes you are experiencing hair loss AND it is caused by androgenic alopecia.

The quality of the images makes it difficult to analyze, but it really doesn't look like you're experiencing any obviously hair loss. Regardless, seeing a physician, undergoing an examination/testing, and determine what is causing the hair loss - if it is actually occurring - is the first step.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Guys, Thanks for the responses!

Yes I saw hair everywhere. On the bed, on the floor, in the shower, on my comb.

So, I started propecia after i was losing hundreds of hairs per day, and my hairs near my corners (temples) were miniaturizing so much that they are see through now. I was told that bitemporal recession and minaturization are defining signs of MPB so, i hopped on 0.5mg finasteride. Since i've been taking it (around a week and a half) , hairfall has been a lot less with the only real side being a somewhat loss of libido. The hairloss has stabilized atleast for now, but my hair obviously has not recovered and my temples took a hit. my father has had insurance problems so i just booked a derm right now.

temple 1

temple 2

and the worst part is, this change (temple/hair corner hair falling out) happened in literally two months!!

Thanks Again guys,

Mmm

Guest Rickyjames123

Follow a systematic routine and avoid junk food. Drink lot of water minimum 5 liters a day.take a proper sleep of min 8 hrs.

use a nice shampoo and avoid your hairs from dirt and dust. Oil your hair regularly.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc