Help a brother out - Salon/Hair System in London UK Recommendation?

buzzcut1

Hi All,

I don't know where to start. In short, I've been lurking on this forum for some time, and have also tried to do something about my hairloss:

1. Started to wear a hairsystem in 2010 for 1 year; I was attaching/detaching myself, experimented with tape and glue, etc.; however, I couldn't get the hair system to stick for more than 5 days. At times, I didn't feel like I had a realistic hairline for more than even one day. I went through hell, trying my best to not get found out at work.

2. I packed it all in by 2011. Shaved my head lol. I left it that way for 1.5 years and then got SMP (few months ago). The SMP has certainly made a difference; my head no longer looks patchy, my hairline is stronger, and it looks natural.

Here's the thing. All the stuff you read in the magazines, forums, online, or hear from friends etc. is rubbish (my humble opinion) - LOOKS MATTER. It matters to one's career, women, and building rapport with essentially anyone you may meet. Of course personality is uber important, but all I am saying is that looks matter aswell.

I'm nearly 35 and am finding it difficult to attract women - this wasn't a problem whatsoever when I had hair. Not even in the slightest. So here's the thing, I feel like I'm doing a full circle, and considering a hair system again; however, this time I want to do it properly - go to a salon and have it professionally attached/detached/blended.

Any advice out there?

NB: I seriously considered the hair transplant route, but I'm not a candidate as I have diffuse thinning in the donor area :( I can either wear a hair system or leave things as they are (shaven head).

Cheers

I have had a mould taken and ordered a piece from London Hair Clinic. I am due to have it fitted in about 5 weeks once my hair has grown out a bit. The guy who runs them is a wearer himself, if you contact them they provide consultations for free and don't try and push you to buy.

Hopefully I will be happy with the result. I'll keep you updated.

• 2 months later...

Well I had it fitted last week. It took longer to get ordered in than I expected, 14 weeks in total, but now I have it attached I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised.

The system is a spot on match for my hair colour and so far I feel 100% comfortable walking around wearing it in public, I wasn't expecting to feel this comfortable so quickly which is probably testament to the quality of the system.

During the period I have been waiting for the system I have been wearing baseball caps none stop and telling my friends that I was trailing some new drugs to regrow my hair. I've met up with them since I had the system fitted and I am 99% convinced that they don't suspect its a hair system.

I have tried systems before from TotalCoverPlus and my family's reaction was of ridicule because the system wasn't very good. Since wearing this system they have all been more supporting and vocal in saying how good it looks. My brother is considering trying it out.

Only downside is that the hairline is not the most realistic and would probably be detectable if I wore my fringe up but I don't. And tbh they do offer a different front to the system for people who spike up their hair so I could try that when I need a new one if I decide I want a spiked up look.

It can be a little bit itchy but nothing too detrimental.

Best thing is I got a big discount because I agreed to be recorded for the website but they never actually recorded me!

I may post some pictures if I get chance. So far I would definitely recommend anyone considering a piece to talk to these guys first, my experience has been a pleasure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey CarrotMan - thank you for the detailed update!

How have things settled in over the last few weeks? Has paranoia set in or anything like that? How is the blending from the sides and the back? Easy to maintain?

Would be great to see some pictures as I am about to take the plunge soon; I'm particularly worried about blending, detectability and maintenance!

Hey CarrotMan - thank you for the detailed update!

How have things settled in over the last few weeks? Has paranoia set in or anything like that? How is the blending from the sides and the back? Easy to maintain?

Would be great to see some pictures as I am about to take the plunge soon; I'm particularly worried about blending, detectability and maintenance!

No worries mate.

I can honestly say I feel 99.9% comfortable wearing the system in public. I wasn't expecting to but I don't really have any paranoia at all even when out with mates. I'm certain my mates don't suspect anything, I'm in my mid 20's and they would rip me to shreds if they thought I was wearing a wig. I posted a picture of myself on facebook and an old friend messaged me to ask how I had managed to get my hair back because his hair is thinning.

The blending is fine. The first few days the hair was a little bit puffed up and I felt a little conscious about that but it settled in and now just looks like my own hair.

Maintenance wise it's early days yet. I did go back to the salon last week because they like you to go within a week or so, so they can make sure everything is going ok for you. They re-bonded the system and trimmed my own hair a little. This was free of charge.

If you are having the system regularly re-bonded by them they suggest every four weeks and there would be a charge for that. Next time I go in a few weeks they are going to show me how to re-bond myself though so I wont have to visit them much. I think I will probably re-bond myself every two weeks or so because I feel that would be more hygienic for my scalp then every four weeks.

As for day to day maintenance, there isn't really any. They suggest that you only wash the hair once a week with a good quality shampoo. As for the bond itself it is completely secure and I'm confident it will stay secure for their recommended four weeks.

Like I said the only downsides to the system I have is that the hair line isn't undetectable if you were to spike up your fringe. I don't though so that's not an issue. The front of the system has started to peel up about a millimetre or so but if you are not wearing your fringe up this does not make any difference. Once I am bonding myself and have the glue I'll be able to stick this bit back down anyway.

The other issue is occasional itchiness, there is nothing worse than having an itch on you head that you can't properly scratch but I can live with this.

I'm not particularly adventurous with my hair style, I wasn't back when I had my own hair either. I just pretty much leave it as it is when I wake up. Anyone who is having a more adventurous style may have a different experience to me, I don't know.

I would advise anyone who is as far gone as I am baldness wise to at least give it a try. It's not going to be for everyone but I couldn't be happier. If it's not for you then you are going to have wasted a few hundred pounds but I think the risk is worth it. The worst part is growing out the hair you actually have and then transitioning to the system. I was luckily in a position where I could wear a baseball cap for 3/4 months while I told people I was trialling meds. If you have a job where this isn't possible then it would be more tricky to account for your new hair. Other than that I don't think people actually take as much notice of our hair as we think they do.

At this stage even if a friend found out I was wearing I think I would carry on wearing regardless. I look a lot better and as depressing as it this may sound to people on here, I have had noticeably more attention from women since wearing.

I'll look to post some images for you after Christmas.

Any other questions, just ask, I'll be as honest as I can.

I've been wearing a piece for 8 years so I can offer some insight.

Going to a saloon is throwing money away. You can do this stuff yourself, and get a better result. There is a learning curve, but that is where companies make their money...duping you into thinking they are professionals and you cant do it yourself.

I would never leave a piece on longer than 7 days, 4 weeks is just asking for issues.

I have a spiked up hairline. At first I was paranoid about making everything perfect etc now I'm much more laid back. Thats whats pushed me to get a transplant, even a half decent one will make a huge difference...and so I don't have to waste energy into a piece and more into life.

I use tape all around and dont bother with glue. I used to use glue at the front, but tape is much easier. Blue liner is the king of tapes, ultrahold isnt bad too. I would use a slightly weaker tape at the temple points to reduce shedding.

I've tried them all, partials, 3/4cap, fullcap. I've come to the realisation that keeping as much of your own hair is best.

4066 FUE Grafts with Dr Bhatti, India 9&10 Jan 2014

For my pics and thread click the link:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173658-4066-fue-grafts-dr-bhatti-india-restoring-more-than-just-hair.html

• 3 weeks later...
I've been wearing a piece for 8 years so I can offer some insight.

Going to a saloon is throwing money away. You can do this stuff yourself, and get a better result. There is a learning curve, but that is where companies make their money...duping you into thinking they are professionals and you cant do it yourself.

I would never leave a piece on longer than 7 days, 4 weeks is just asking for issues.

I have a spiked up hairline. At first I was paranoid about making everything perfect etc now I'm much more laid back. Thats whats pushed me to get a transplant, even a half decent one will make a huge difference...and so I don't have to waste energy into a piece and more into life.

I use tape all around and dont bother with glue. I used to use glue at the front, but tape is much easier. Blue liner is the king of tapes, ultrahold isnt bad too. I would use a slightly weaker tape at the temple points to reduce shedding.

I've tried them all, partials, 3/4cap, fullcap. I've come to the realisation that keeping as much of your own hair is best.

So are you saying based on your experience, it is better to make do without a hair system?

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks on and I still stand by my opinions posted earlier but like I mentioned, others such as Traction may have had different experiences.

Here is a pic as promised. Sorry it took longer to post than I said it would. I probably will remove the pic after a week or so (I don't like having my pics on the internet for obvious reasons).

Upload_zps7d357fae.jpg

Edited by CarrotMan

Thanks for the pic! If I saw a guy like you out I would be super jealous of how awesomely thick your hair is. Any chance you could post a side or back angle pic? I feel these shots are where it really counts. The blending from fake to real.

• 1 month later...

How much are you paying for the "rebonding?" you would save yourself alot of money doing it yourself. Get some bubble wrap instead of doing the mirror slide. Also get some thinning shears and a razor comb to tweak the piece.

4066 FUE Grafts with Dr Bhatti, India 9&10 Jan 2014

For my pics and thread click the link:http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/173658-4066-fue-grafts-dr-bhatti-india-restoring-more-than-just-hair.html